April 26, 2024, 09:10:38 PM

Username
Password

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Help running DO with windows XP!  (Read 13374 times)
Crix
Giant Spider

View Profile
« on: July 08, 2009, 07:39:15 AM »

Hi all,

Glad to be part of the group. I share the consensus that MoC was a shit game compared to DO. I have both and I found that some of the best RTS fun I had was playing LAN with DO.

But now with my AMD Athlon processor, I find that DO installs but wont run on XP!!

I have searched somewhat halfhearted at these forums to find a fix but can't. Can someone post a link or a guide to show how to make DO work with this system:

AMD Athlon X2 4400 Dual core, X1900XTX 512mb Vid Card, 3 Gig DDR2 RAM, and various joysticks and gamepads...

Cheers
Crix

ps.I can be contacted on alonewolfwithcub@hotmail.com thru facebook or email and my msn is deuwl@hotmail.com
olly
Global Spokesperson

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2009, 08:58:54 AM »

Hi Crix and Welcome,

it's very easily fixed for Dark Omen to run on XP/Vista/Win7

http://forum.dark-omen.org/index.php/topic,111.msg310.html#msg310

Smiley
« Last Edit: July 08, 2009, 09:44:16 AM by olly » Logged

and back in Nuln, the ageing Graf Berhardt smiled his secret smile of pride whenever he heard the latest tales of his eldest son's ever growing chain of glorious victories -(sothr manual)
Crix
Giant Spider

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2009, 09:50:07 AM »

Hi buddy,

Yea im looking into that now. It looks okay but hopefully this time it works. Hey I remember ages ago when I tried to play this guy had designed all the Armies straight from the Codex and edited their hex values and stuff. I also noticed the sprite editing as well which looks great.

Is there been an effort to design new sprites to encompass other races like Skaven and Dark Elves and Chaos?

p.s. How often you guys play online? I have a DO nut of a friend who would be very keen to play!
olly
Global Spokesperson

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2009, 10:37:52 AM »

I'm on hamachi nearly every night, Welcoming any new members and

fixing any of their problems, so they can successfully play Multiplayer

and I train them up to join our Monthly Tournaments.

Hope to see you on the battlefield soon.

Smiley

ps. there are great plans to add all the Warhamemr Races and work has begun
on Dark Elf and others and I know that Chaos and Lizardmen are high on the To do List.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2009, 10:46:58 AM by olly » Logged

and back in Nuln, the ageing Graf Berhardt smiled his secret smile of pride whenever he heard the latest tales of his eldest son's ever growing chain of glorious victories -(sothr manual)
Crix
Giant Spider

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2009, 04:31:00 PM »

Good news is that the game seems to running beautifully!! No problems whatsoever!! I just set the graphics to CPU and turned off the color selectors but I will adhere to the help post and download the new textures and the modified cursor which makes the black and white cursors into the color ones.

Also, I will install hatachi soon and I was wondering, do you guys just play the original game without mods? I know you have modified rules which is a great idea eg.Caps on amount of gear a hero can have but what other modifications have been made?

Cheers
Crix
Crix
Giant Spider

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2009, 04:52:16 PM »

Hey I installed Hatachi and tried to join the network as following:

Name: Dark-Omen2
pass: darkomen

I typed it in exactly and I got this error: This network appears to be full. Click here for details!

What does this mean? Does this mean that only 2 people can be on this channel at a time? Can you please assist olly? Thanks a lot for your help dude. You guys just earned yourselves 2 new generals! And I would have to say my abilites are pretty damn good! I finished that game after all and I think DO was one of the hardest games to finish of all time.
olly
Global Spokesperson

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2009, 06:09:57 PM »

http://forum.dark-omen.org/help-section/ultimate-multiplayer-connection-fixes-t110.0.html

Crix
Giant Spider

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2009, 09:19:49 PM »

Thanks for all the help. I got it working and had a test run and it worked fine. Now the next part of my tuning is do you know how I can convert the music files into mp3 format. 1 of the best things about DO was the music especially the one that goes like this ...'dUH DUH - - DUH DUH,,,, DUH DUH ssst .... dUH DUH - - DUH DUH,,,, DUH DUH

Here are some questions:
How do i convert the .sad files into a playable format?
Is there a way to play using the best quality textures and somehow play with 3D settings using 3D?

Cheers
Crix
bembelimen
Crossbowman

Who am I and how many?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2009, 09:33:01 PM »

SAD/MAD audio converter

"Sir we are surrounded!!!" "Excellent, then we can attack in any direction."
Crix
Giant Spider

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2009, 09:41:57 PM »

Hey mate! Thanks for your help as well setting me up. I got a mate who's really into MoC but he never played DO! Guess what? He found that he had a freind who had bought it ages ago and now hes got that and he LOVES it! The only thing better about MoC apart from obviously the graphics is the fact that you can select the whole army and place them as you feel in the game. DO was a bit dodgy when it came to selecting units I thought. That was the weakest part of the game. The fact you couldn't customize and select units based on numbers ....

Anyways thanks for the help. My next goal is to try to get the best graphical settings out of this as possible. I really hate the software graphics and gonna fiddle around and see if i can somehow use 3D options!!

Cheers
Crix
bembelimen
Crossbowman

Who am I and how many?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2009, 09:49:28 PM »

Anyways thanks for the help. My next goal is to try to get the best graphical settings out of this as possible. I really hate the software graphics and gonna fiddle around and see if i can somehow use 3D options!!

see the sticky topics for 3D options

"Sir we are surrounded!!!" "Excellent, then we can attack in any direction."
olly
Global Spokesperson

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 12, 2009, 09:57:45 PM »

If you have an Nvidia Graphics Card and an old Stlye CRT monitor (or possibly very new TFT)

then I have Developed a Guide that will allow Full 3d Mode on XP/Vista and Im confident with Radeon.

http://forum.dark-omen.org/help-section/dark-omen-in-full-3d-mode-high-res-xp-and-no-flicker-t248.0.html

I also suggest the possible improvement of the CPU water Texture if possible

and please check out my Guide to Rob's Audio converter  http://wiki.dark-omen.org/do/DO/Audio

Smiley
« Last Edit: July 12, 2009, 10:04:30 PM by olly » Logged

Crix
Giant Spider

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 12, 2009, 11:05:27 PM »

Yea im doing that guide but I have an Ati Radeon Card so i set my options as close to the ones you listed in your briliant guide for the Nvidia card but it doesn't work!

However the game runs with my registry change in hardware options being 252. Hmm I am going to experiment and see what else I can do.

Crix
Giant Spider

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 13, 2009, 12:33:23 AM »

Sorry can some1 link me how to host using hamachi?
olly
Global Spokesperson

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 13, 2009, 01:11:58 AM »

sure,

http://forum.dark-omen.org/help-section/ultimate-multiplayer-connection-fixes-t110.0.html

Smiley

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
Print
Jump to: