March 28, 2024, 03:25:03 PM

Username
Password

Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Dark Omen on Kickstarter  (Read 4849 times)
Thearpox
Troll

View Profile
« on: July 26, 2013, 10:21:34 AM »

No, I am not saying it exists.

But I was wondering if anybody else had this idea. Or has plans for it. No, I cannot program it myself.

This place seems to have several dedicated modders, even if it's dead for the most part. A kickstarter, possible in today's environment could potentially revive the interest in Dark Omen, and bring back some of the things we like about it. But I don't need to be explaining it, do I?
Ghabry
Developer

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2013, 12:02:12 AM »

When you do this you can count the seconds until Gamesworkshop takes this down Smiley

At least something with Warhammer is not possible.

Thearpox
Troll

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2013, 08:32:41 AM »

If you do it completely ad hoc without an arrangement with them beforehand, yes, absolutely. But has anybody actually tried to talk with them about it? They might be very open to this for all we know.

Also, I don't see that much of an issue with it taking place it a different setting. It doesn't have to be Warhammer universe. The setting was never what made Dark Omen unique.

Honestly, even the system can be modified to make it independent of Warhammer. It doesn't have to be a clone, just "inspired" by Dark Omen.
alexKhvorov
Troll

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2013, 12:07:10 PM »

No, I am not saying it exists.

But I was wondering if anybody else had this idea. Or has plans for it. No, I cannot program it myself.

This place seems to have several dedicated modders, even if it's dead for the most part. A kickstarter, possible in today's environment could potentially revive the interest in Dark Omen, and bring back some of the things we like about it. But I don't need to be explaining it, do I?

See http://shadowofthehammer.com/, it's in pre-alpha. I'd love to see it on Kickstarter as soon as it hits alpha state. Problem is i'm not an US-UK citizen and therefore not eligible to kickstart.
How much would you guys think it could rise?

As for Warhammer legacy i fear it must be pretty much dropped...
olly
Global Spokesperson

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2013, 01:28:00 PM »

I always held the view that any project advertised on Kick Starter, needs a lead programmer heavily involved to demonstrate the feasibility by displaying some videos of the early engine. Therefore I don't mind advertising it on your behalf but I would selfishly have to discuss various components that must be included in the engine, such as ->

1) True line of sight
2) Solid Formations
3) Attack Ground
4) Complex attacking system

I agree about having to drop the Warhammer scenerio for legal issues, as Mikademus' once planned, for his WARTBED engine, that would use generic sprites and scenery but would have the ability to alow future unofficial mods to add in their own content such as Warhammer.

I mentioned being able to provide the 3d scenery and houses and sprites but I'm currently making a Warhammer Chaos Guard Tower at the moment but have also been using alot of free Fantasy 3d houses and the Civ 3 sprites creators have made loads of generic fantasy sprites, that can be used for early development, while we attempt to recruit more programmers/3d artists via Kick Starter.

Ideally we would be able to show a working map with scenery and sprites, to show that it's a mature project before advertising on Kick starter as it's hard to ask people for money based on just ideas etc..

Thanks again for the great offer and for attempting such as wonderfull project! Our best hope!

Smiley

and back in Nuln, the ageing Graf Berhardt smiled his secret smile of pride whenever he heard the latest tales of his eldest son's ever growing chain of glorious victories -(sothr manual)
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: