March 28, 2024, 06:27:45 PM

Username
Password

Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Any other games with some of Dark Omen's mechanics?  (Read 5097 times)
Sark
Troll

View Profile
« on: November 26, 2013, 02:57:44 PM »

Hi everyone, long time lurker here.

I'm sure this discussion has come up a hundred times before but what makes Dark Omen so special in my opinion is some of it's mechanics that can't be found in any other games.

When a unit is engaged in melee combat you're committed to stay and fight. You can flee if you choose to but there's a risk involved, you might get cut down by the pursuing enemies while running away with your back against them. This is awesome because it adds another layer of tactics, you have to think twice before attacking, can you really win this engagement or not?

This is the feature I miss the most in other games, and I can't understand why no other games that I know of have it, it would be so easy to add like an optional feature or whatever.

Does anyone know if there is any other game out there with the same mechanic?

I also really love Dark Omen's other mechanics like wheeling, slow combat (Ever seen stimmed up 3/3 marines shred through zerglings in SC2? Blink and you missed it!), punishing line of sight, friendly fire, high ground advantage and probably other things I forgot.

It really is mind boggling to me that no other game has similar features after all these years considering how popular the game still is after all these years.

olly
Global Spokesperson

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2013, 04:23:41 PM »

hi and welcome, I completely agree how great choosing whether to tactically break from melee is and there's a lot more going on in each combat round than any other game has, thanks to Dark Omen using Warhammer Table Top combat rules.

http://forum.dark-omen.org/singleplayer/sothr-game-mechanics-stats-t273.0.html

Darkmancer found round times in Dark Omen to be

Combat Rounds last 7 Secs

Missile Rounds last 14 Secs

Magic Rounds last  23 Secs

True Line of Sight, friendly fire, force attack ground to shoot where you think the enemy are, magic and anti magic, solid formations and wheeling, high ground advantage and the others you mention, simply don't appear in any other games quite like Dark Omen. For me the closest is Call of Warhammer mod for Medieval 2 Total War but lacks most of the above. Let's all pray for a remake project to complete as any game will have to be as good as original Dark Omen at the very least.

Anthony Bowyer-Lowe -Original Dark Omen Sound Design and Programmer, summed up Dark Omen perfectly

"Well, thank you for showing your appreciation. From what I remember it was something of an intense, manic development (maybe that was just me) but I think all that sweat and tears did capture some kind of lightning in a bottle".

Certainly our modders have found bizarreness in the way Dark Omen was made, as it was ground breaking for its time and very complicated compared with modern day software houses or publishers that now go for the easy RTS route. After 1998, when graphics started becoming the main focus for games and not thought provoking clever games, meant great looking FPS games and easy to play RTS games are a safe bet compared to a hardcore RTT game like Dark Omen.   

Thankfully in the meantime we have exciting times ahead converting loads more Warhammer sprites into Dark Omen and building new maps for eventual Campaigns.

Smiley

and back in Nuln, the ageing Graf Berhardt smiled his secret smile of pride whenever he heard the latest tales of his eldest son's ever growing chain of glorious victories -(sothr manual)
Jeronimo
Night Goblin Shaman

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2013, 08:27:26 PM »

Hi everyone, long time lurker here.

I'm sure this discussion has come up a hundred times before but what makes Dark Omen so special in my opinion is some of it's mechanics that can't be found in any other games.

When a unit is engaged in melee combat you're committed to stay and fight. You can flee if you choose to but there's a risk involved, you might get cut down by the pursuing enemies while running away with your back against them. This is awesome because it adds another layer of tactics, you have to think twice before attacking, can you really win this engagement or not?

This is the feature I miss the most in other games, and I can't understand why no other games that I know of have it, it would be so easy to add like an optional feature or whatever.

Does anyone know if there is any other game out there with the same mechanic?

I also really love Dark Omen's other mechanics like wheeling, slow combat (Ever seen stimmed up 3/3 marines shred through zerglings in SC2? Blink and you missed it!), punishing line of sight, friendly fire, high ground advantage and probably other things I forgot.

It really is mind boggling to me that no other game has similar features after all these years considering how popular the game still is after all these years.

Hello and welcome to forums...
Do you use Game-Ranger to meet other DarkOmen players?
If you are interested in playing, sometimes at weekends we might battle.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: