May 02, 2024, 05:24:38 AM

Username
Password

Show Posts
Pages: [1]
1  Warhammer Dark Omen / Tactical wargaming and other Warhammer games / Re: Shadow of the Horned Rat on: March 25, 2009, 03:32:56 PM
Well, the interface is obviously one of the major differences between PS and PC -- but I wouldn't say it "stinks". Honestly, it feels much closer to the PC version of Dark Omen and, once you learn what click leads to what, it has a feel equal to the PS version in terms of smoothness. It is all up to personal preference in the end though, to which I am equally split.

More to come when I post the "differences" thread though -- I just noticed another one last night (wizards have "dispel magic" in PC version and casting a spell on an out of range target consumes magic anyway!).

Stay tuned...
2  Warhammer Dark Omen / Tactical wargaming and other Warhammer games / Re: Shadow of the Horned Rat on: March 24, 2009, 10:17:03 PM
Probably -- though I would like to play a deal of the game to check for stability first.
3  Warhammer Dark Omen / Tactical wargaming and other Warhammer games / Re: Shadow of the Horned Rat on: March 24, 2009, 08:57:46 PM
Well, as fortune would have it -- my parents had a copy (that I had gotten for them) of Windows 98SE lying around. I installed on VM last night and have SotHR installed and running beautifully! I will start a separate thread detailing the differences between PC and PS that I have noticed to date.
4  Warhammer Dark Omen / Tactical wargaming and other Warhammer games / Re: Shadow of the Horned Rat on: March 23, 2009, 09:09:39 PM
Perhaps, but I seriously doubt that the copyright of an unsupported legacy OS is enforced, and if you owned a computer with Win95 you technically own a licence already. However, it was only a suggestion about a viable solution, I'm not encouraging you to break infringe on copyrights. Anyway, SotHR is compatible with Windows98 (if you have a licence for that version of the OS and feel more comfortable with it) so you can always use it instead.

Oh, by no means did I want to imply that you would encourage that sort of thing. Anyway, most ISO downloads for Windows operating systems are via bit-torrent, which I won't ever go near.

I will stay tuned for the installation guide that was proposed a few posts back -- thanks again Smiley
5  Warhammer Dark Omen / Tactical wargaming and other Warhammer games / Re: Shadow of the Horned Rat on: March 21, 2009, 08:06:12 PM
Indeed, however downloading a Windows 95 installation ISO would be illegal and highly risky IMHO.
6  Warhammer Dark Omen / Tactical wargaming and other Warhammer games / Re: Shadow of the Horned Rat on: March 20, 2009, 11:42:40 PM
Well, using a Windows 95 ISO would be risky IMHO so...Olly, I look forward to a future post on a problem free install for Vista.

Mikademus, your assistance is none the less appreciated Smiley
7  Warhammer Dark Omen / Tactical wargaming and other Warhammer games / Re: Shadow of the Horned Rat on: March 19, 2009, 02:22:34 PM
Sorry, didn't mean to seem impatient...I'm not, just trying some dry humor Smiley

I am very curious as to the differences between the PC and PS1 versions though. Mainly, the ending to the PS1 version seemed very abrupt -- is the PC version's ending more complete?
8  Warhammer Dark Omen / Tactical wargaming and other Warhammer games / Re: Shadow of the Horned Rat on: March 18, 2009, 08:25:32 PM
Cool -- so, I would need the actual Windows 95 install CD to run on the VM correct?

I see you said you preferred the PS version of SotHR as well -- what are the major differences between PC and PS1 versions? Does the PC have more in it, or is the only real difference in the interface?

...and once again the thread falls quiet...
9  Warhammer Dark Omen / Tactical wargaming and other Warhammer games / Re: Warhammer: Mark of Chaos on: March 17, 2009, 03:28:20 PM
Wow...sounds like a mess.

At least it is a graphical powerhouse. I personally prefer gameplay over graphics -- but if you have a powerful machine (like I do) the game is at least a beauty to behold. A small positive, but a positive none the less.
10  Warhammer Dark Omen / Tactical wargaming and other Warhammer games / Re: Shadow of the Horned Rat on: March 17, 2009, 03:20:27 PM
Cool -- so, I would need the actual Windows 95 install CD to run on the VM correct?

I see you said you preferred the PS version of SotHR as well -- what are the major differences between PC and PS1 versions? Does the PC have more in it, or is the only real difference in the interface?
11  Warhammer Dark Omen / Tactical wargaming and other Warhammer games / Re: Warhammer: Mark of Chaos on: March 16, 2009, 09:47:19 PM
Yeah, I heard that there was false advertising accusation within the Warhammer hardcore community. I expect change when going to a different developer, but apparently this was outrageous!

From what little I have played so far in the game, I will say it is fun (but only if you like Warhammer), though "flat" compared to the other 2 in the fantasy series. But like I said, this is without deeper play from myself. Still, could you enlighten me as to the "broken rules" among the game system?
12  Warhammer Dark Omen / Tactical wargaming and other Warhammer games / Re: Warhammer: Mark of Chaos on: March 16, 2009, 05:58:59 PM
Well, it isn't a sequel -- it is a stand-alone game in the Warhammer Fantasy universe. But yes, I see what everyone is saying. I'm still gonna play it (although I am currently re-hooked on the Playstation version of SotHR), and I will provide a more informed personal opinion after doing so.
13  Warhammer Dark Omen / Tactical wargaming and other Warhammer games / Re: Shadow of the Horned Rat on: March 16, 2009, 05:56:49 PM
OK, Mikademus, I am all ears -- how would I go about doing what you advised?
14  Warhammer Dark Omen / Tactical wargaming and other Warhammer games / Warhammer: Mark of Chaos on: March 05, 2009, 10:19:40 PM
Anyone playing this?
15  Warhammer Dark Omen / Tactical wargaming and other Warhammer games / Shadow of the Horned Rat on: March 02, 2009, 05:09:03 PM
Edit by Olly *To play Shadow of The Horned Rat on Windows XP/Vista/7 please download this excellent AutoInstaller & ISO

http://www.oldgames.sk/en/game/warhammer-shadow-of-the-horned-rat/download/2425/

However best played on PSX Emualtion as more 3d and graphically enhanced

///////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

Hello all -- first post on this site -- I had to hit myself upside the head when I came across the site. I had no idea there was a fanbase like this in existence for Dark Omen!

Anyway -- I am desperate for help and am praying that someone on here can assist. I have both Shadow of the Horned Rat and Dark Omen for the PC. I recently purchased a new monster PC with Windows Vista (64-bit). As we all know, Shadow of the Horned Rat is not so easily installed nor run on this operating system. I am hopeful that someone can help me out here. I have a "notebook" code to install the game, but then it asks for the "WING32.dll" file. I get that, place in the system32 directory and it still says it cannot find the file -- placing it in the SOTHR directory makes Vista ask me to move it to system32. Anyway I want to play the PC version of this game again badly (it is the most "complete" version) and any help is most appreciated.

Failing that, I do have the emulation for ePSXe, and that is perfect -- EXCEPT the ISO has no background music, except for the cut-scenes. I think we can all agree that the score to this game helps to make it as fun as it is. Anyone else experiencing this issue?

Lastly -- just want to make sure -- will the tips for installing and running Dark Omen on Vista work for 64-bit with no problems?

Thanks in advance to all who can assist! Smiley
Pages: [1]