March 29, 2024, 09:56:19 AM

Username
Password

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Shadow of the Horned Rat  (Read 81059 times)
OldSchool77
Night Goblin

View Profile
« on: March 02, 2009, 05:09:03 PM »

Edit by Olly *To play Shadow of The Horned Rat on Windows XP/Vista/7 please download this excellent AutoInstaller & ISO

http://www.oldgames.sk/en/game/warhammer-shadow-of-the-horned-rat/download/2425/

However best played on PSX Emualtion as more 3d and graphically enhanced

///////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

Hello all -- first post on this site -- I had to hit myself upside the head when I came across the site. I had no idea there was a fanbase like this in existence for Dark Omen!

Anyway -- I am desperate for help and am praying that someone on here can assist. I have both Shadow of the Horned Rat and Dark Omen for the PC. I recently purchased a new monster PC with Windows Vista (64-bit). As we all know, Shadow of the Horned Rat is not so easily installed nor run on this operating system. I am hopeful that someone can help me out here. I have a "notebook" code to install the game, but then it asks for the "WING32.dll" file. I get that, place in the system32 directory and it still says it cannot find the file -- placing it in the SOTHR directory makes Vista ask me to move it to system32. Anyway I want to play the PC version of this game again badly (it is the most "complete" version) and any help is most appreciated.

Failing that, I do have the emulation for ePSXe, and that is perfect -- EXCEPT the ISO has no background music, except for the cut-scenes. I think we can all agree that the score to this game helps to make it as fun as it is. Anyone else experiencing this issue?

Lastly -- just want to make sure -- will the tips for installing and running Dark Omen on Vista work for 64-bit with no problems?

Thanks in advance to all who can assist! Smiley
« Last Edit: January 23, 2012, 01:06:33 AM by olly » Logged
Flak
Super Moderator

Jake Nielsen

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2009, 04:01:59 PM »

I just uncovered my SOTHR cd and tried to install butit wont go, same problem as you setup cannot find "wing32.dll" and then it just wants to give up and sit back, no help to anybody

I use XP pro tho, not vista

"There is only one way out of hell, thats through it" -- General Patton

"Just because a mage wears the Black Robes, does not make him evil." -- Raislin Magere

"Evil Turns upon it self" -- Paladine
bembelimen
Crossbowman

Who am I and how many?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2009, 04:42:17 PM »

See also here for a video and some pics.

"Sir we are surrounded!!!" "Excellent, then we can attack in any direction."
Mikademus
Developer

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2009, 09:50:25 PM »

My recommendation is to install a virtual machine. Trying to get SotHR to run under pure Win64 sounds like a Freddy Kreuger's nightmares.

OldSchool77
Night Goblin

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2009, 05:56:49 PM »

OK, Mikademus, I am all ears -- how would I go about doing what you advised?
Mikademus
Developer

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2009, 03:10:20 PM »

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Virtual_machine

Have you tried  MS Virtual PC? That's the virtualiser I used when trying SotHR again (before playing the PSX version on my PSP instead). Otherwise there's always WMWare, that's another common virtualiser.

OldSchool77
Night Goblin

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2009, 03:20:27 PM »

Cool -- so, I would need the actual Windows 95 install CD to run on the VM correct?

I see you said you preferred the PS version of SotHR as well -- what are the major differences between PC and PS1 versions? Does the PC have more in it, or is the only real difference in the interface?
OldSchool77
Night Goblin

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2009, 08:25:32 PM »

Cool -- so, I would need the actual Windows 95 install CD to run on the VM correct?

I see you said you preferred the PS version of SotHR as well -- what are the major differences between PC and PS1 versions? Does the PC have more in it, or is the only real difference in the interface?

...and once again the thread falls quiet...
bembelimen
Crossbowman

Who am I and how many?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2009, 09:27:58 PM »

Patience, i bet there will be an answer soon Smiley Sometimes it needs more than 29h Wink

But I cannot help you, sry. I never used VM before.

"Sir we are surrounded!!!" "Excellent, then we can attack in any direction."
OldSchool77
Night Goblin

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2009, 02:22:34 PM »

Sorry, didn't mean to seem impatient...I'm not, just trying some dry humor Smiley

I am very curious as to the differences between the PC and PS1 versions though. Mainly, the ending to the PS1 version seemed very abrupt -- is the PC version's ending more complete?
olly
Global Spokesperson

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2009, 09:09:44 PM »

Hi,

Well I think you are the first Member to suggest there was a difference in versions, as far as I can Remember,

but I  played Both Versions along time ago and have replayed the PSX Version more recently.

Smiley

So unfortunately I can't confirm and also I haven't had the time/requirement to post a perfect Guide

to pc installation but i guess soon i can, as I have all old website guides,that i collected over the years ,

so have (about 2 years a go on on Win XP) and can do it but its joining them all together in a Friendly Guide.

As you Know the PSX emulation is far far better graphics as it came out nearly a year and a half later,

and since the PC version played in a 1/4 of the windowed screen and map and Tool Bars etc

took up the rest of the screen.

Also 2d(Top Picture = PC ) vs 3d(Lower Picture =PSX) Arguement..

but yeah if it "was different" then it would Definetly be Worth it!

Smiley

(As I still have my 2 old Win98 Pcs with SOTHR installed (for me and Bro to link Old style games) I can Confirm Soon).
« Last Edit: March 20, 2009, 09:48:32 PM by olly » Logged

and back in Nuln, the ageing Graf Berhardt smiled his secret smile of pride whenever he heard the latest tales of his eldest son's ever growing chain of glorious victories -(sothr manual)
Mikademus
Developer

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2009, 09:55:27 PM »

In reply to your question about vitualisers above: yes, you'd install an actual copy of Win95 on a virtual hard drive. This is in fact very painless and there should be plenty of WIn95 images floating around. You can of course use an image file as the install medium IIRC Smiley

There should also be plenty of tutorials on using VirtualPC and WMWare.

OldSchool77
Night Goblin

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 20, 2009, 11:42:40 PM »

Well, using a Windows 95 ISO would be risky IMHO so...Olly, I look forward to a future post on a problem free install for Vista.

Mikademus, your assistance is none the less appreciated Smiley
Mikademus
Developer

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 21, 2009, 03:33:53 PM »

No risk involved, you are installing to a virtual machine, which is only a file on your hard drive.

OldSchool77
Night Goblin

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 21, 2009, 08:06:12 PM »

Indeed, however downloading a Windows 95 installation ISO would be illegal and highly risky IMHO.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Up
Print
Jump to: