March 28, 2024, 12:10:18 PM

Username
Password

Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Random temporary freezes (windows 10)  (Read 2018 times)
Goldenval
Giant Scorpion

View Profile
« on: September 03, 2022, 11:33:06 AM »

Hi,

Can I ask you for help please for a simple problem ?

I installed the game exactly as explained in the topic "Read me : Ultimate Dark Omen..." (the 5 points + dgvoodoo 2.63).
The game starts and runs normally BUT during battles (and only during battles) the computer freezes randomly and completely (nothing reacts anymore) for very variable durations (10s-infinite) before resuming the game until the next freeze (in 3s or 8min).

Do you have an idea to solve this ?

Edit : I restarted a battle with the task manager on my 2nd screen and I noticed at the end of a temporary freeze a saturation on the graphics processor (43% normal, goes up to 99%). I specify that I have a good computer...
« Last Edit: September 03, 2022, 12:11:43 PM by Goldenval » Logged
olly
Global Spokesperson

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2022, 12:43:59 PM »

Hi,
sounds like your antivirus or firewall is scanning or trying to block dgvoodoo2 while you're playing. So disable them and let me know if it that solves it. I can always remote on to check if it might be UAC User Account Control) or incorrect dgvoodoo2 settings, are you using. ISO or English UK version CD?

and back in Nuln, the ageing Graf Berhardt smiled his secret smile of pride whenever he heard the latest tales of his eldest son's ever growing chain of glorious victories -(sothr manual)
Goldenval
Giant Scorpion

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2022, 02:14:36 PM »

I had done the permissions and exceptions for Dark Omen and dgvoodoo and the problem was already there before I installed dgvoodoo.

I tried again by completely disabling Windows 10 antivirus and firewall and removing Nvidia processes in task manager (I saw that it had been a problem for some). But fail, it's the same.

I use English UK version CD.
olly
Global Spokesperson

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2022, 02:19:34 PM »

Try testing the game in CPU graphics option rather than 3D and also change cursor to black and white instead of colour.

and back in Nuln, the ageing Graf Berhardt smiled his secret smile of pride whenever he heard the latest tales of his eldest son's ever growing chain of glorious victories -(sothr manual)
Goldenval
Giant Scorpion

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2022, 04:48:27 PM »

The freezes are still here. Maybe a little less frequent.
I've also tried closing as many secondary programs and processes as possible, but that doesn't seem to have any effect.

PS : I'm keeping trying things...
PS 2 : I tried reducing the graphics settings with a CPU used at 15%. And the freezes are still there  Angry. And what surprises me is that it's not only the game that freezes but the whole pc that no longer responds. Here I don't know what to do...
« Last Edit: September 03, 2022, 05:51:34 PM by Goldenval » Logged
olly
Global Spokesperson

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2022, 07:24:20 PM »

Does it freeze when not using Dark Omen? Could be a hard drive dying if so, or faulty memory. Try unplugging any usb devices and also give yourself full permission on the C:\Program Files(x86)\Dark Omen folder. Did you check DirectPlay is enabled and UAC is turned off. Did you also copy the movies folder into Dark Omen and is ths registry pointing to the correct place? Also update the NVIDIA graphics drives. Perhaps add Dark Dark Omen EngRel.exe into NVIDIA Control panel and let it manage its own settings or try giving it a few options.

I will research any other games that might make NVIDIA rise to 99% CPU in Task Manager. Uninstall NVIDIA Experience and disable Nvidia Telemetry Container from Startup, was suggested.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2022, 07:43:19 PM by olly » Logged

Goldenval
Giant Scorpion

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2022, 01:12:39 PM »

- Usb devices unplugged.
- Permissions given.
- DirectPlay enabled.
- UAC turned off.
- Movies folder copied.
- Registry paths ok.
- Nvidia drivers updated.
- EngRel.exe added in Nvidia Control Panel.
- Nvidia Experience and Nvidia Telemetry removed.
- Memory and hard drives tested, all is ok.
- GPU and graphic card tested on big games (high graphics), no problem.

But Dark Omen continues to freeze randomly my pc. It's crazy, I don't understand^^...
I don't see how the problem could be graphical. It's maybe something else (some files that I need to put in compatibility ? is it necessarily the version 2.63 of dgvoodoo that should be used ?).
« Last Edit: September 04, 2022, 03:08:21 PM by Goldenval » Logged
olly
Global Spokesperson

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2022, 05:27:57 PM »

It's not something that has ever occurred before, so can you state your PC specifications such as Processor & Graphics card. Press start -> Run and type dxdiag

I can always remote in and check you have it installed correctly but running in CPU mode was a good test to ensure it wasn't using the dgvoodoo2. 

Goldenval
Giant Scorpion

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2022, 10:21:25 PM »

Diagnosis sent in PM.
olly
Global Spokesperson

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2022, 10:34:47 PM »

Thanks and check your version of dgvoodoo2 as the Diagnostic states

* Dark Omen fan.jpg (60.52 KB. 545x863 - viewed 196 times.)

Goldenval
Giant Scorpion

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 05, 2022, 12:35:48 AM »

Ok.

In fact this is the most recent version of dgvoodoo because I tried it after 2.63 and 2.63.1 (and no change).
I don't know if it matters that the diagnostic detects it as a problem.
olly
Global Spokesperson

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 14, 2022, 09:17:38 PM »

Progress so far has been that Dark Omen plays fine with no freezes but only when I connect via Teamviewer.  After disconnecting from Teamviewer the game freezes on his machine again. Very odd as tried all the usual disabling of Firewall/Defender. So testing alternatives such as Virtual box.

Goldenval
Giant Scorpion

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 23, 2022, 10:33:51 AM »

With much research by olly (whom I thank), it seems likely that my problem is with administrator or disk permissions blocking normal game execution and causing those chaotic freezes.

We tried a lot of things that didn't work, so I settled on a non-ideal solution but one that works : I establish a Teamviewer connection between the virtualbox windows 10 and my real windows 10, I mute the sound of the virtualbox version, I launch the game... and no more freezes !

So if anyone had the same problem as me, they can try this.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2022, 01:49:57 PM by Goldenval » Logged
olly
Global Spokesperson

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 23, 2022, 12:31:27 PM »

Certainly a crazy issue requiring a crazy solution but glad it's working. Enjoy!

Smiley

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: