April 28, 2024, 01:07:08 AM

Username
Password

Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: LAN problems Help!!  (Read 7135 times)
joeymofo
Giant Spider

View Profile
« on: April 16, 2009, 02:08:39 PM »

Hi guys. I'm sorry but there's nothing on this list that helps people who are having connection problems playing on a LAN. I have spent about 4 hours last night with my mate trying to play either directly with a crossover cable or both of us going into the same router/hub. Either way, we can find each others games, and set up armies etc, but as soon as we both click fight, the second the map loads up, it either says "Session lost opponent disconnected" (on both pc's), or it crashes and freezes loading or it says engrel.exe crash. I am completely stumped! We have tried assigning manual ip addresses for each computer but still just the same problems occur. Any help would be much appreciated.
joeymofo
Giant Spider

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2009, 02:45:08 PM »

Ok quick update. I noticed the main problem haha i hadn't successfully installed the map patch on one of the pc's. Ok so today, i reinstalled the game with 'maximum' and then sorted out the map patch.  Both pc's have now identical copies of the game. We are trying over our router and same again we can find, we can host, we setup, choose army/map and then when it says 'Preparing for battle' and we have both clicked 'Fight'  it freezes on that screen. My pc (host) has also started playing the music of the map and the sound effects of the map, where as the other pc the game has fully crashed. Any ideas?
joeymofo
Giant Spider

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2009, 03:16:27 PM »

Ok guys i got it to work over hamachi, but still it fails when we try doing it thru the hub. Oh well! At least it works now! Smiley
olly
Global Spokesperson

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2009, 11:18:19 PM »

Glad it works!

Smiley

A real puzzle indeed, why it can play online but then not LAN matches. I may have a vauge memory of having to use an old HUB for LAN, instead of my Router but what do you enter for the DNS when u manually enter the IP addresses for each PC, do u give them both the Router IP address for their DNS>?

Although since u can join and see each other and it crashes after pressing FIGHT, then it makes me think more of something perhaps forbidding it to progress further/initiate when Local and not Online. However, if it looks like the Indentical Error of the Map Patch (which is now fixed) then communications are doubtfull. A problem like this would really require testing and documenting various combinations. As there seems to be a counter arguement against each initial thought/idea.

Smiley

« Last Edit: April 16, 2009, 11:41:18 PM by olly » Logged

and back in Nuln, the ageing Graf Berhardt smiled his secret smile of pride whenever he heard the latest tales of his eldest son's ever growing chain of glorious victories -(sothr manual)
alavet
Orc Shaman

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2009, 06:07:37 AM »

and maybe you better play in hamachi and take your friend there.. (and play agaisnt him using hamachi if you want)
Smiley

Battle not with monsters, lest ye become a monster, and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.
joeymofo
Giant Spider

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2009, 01:03:34 PM »

Ok. I have no managed to get both working. Well i haven't managed with the crossover cable still, but with my router all i needed to do was open both udp/tdp ports 12975 just like on hamachi. silly me!

It confuses me that without the ports open you can create a game and setup, but you can't actually play the game. Because it did the crash/freeze/session lost   everytime before opening the ports, on both hamachi and LAN.

Thanks for help guys i got it working in the end!!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: