April 26, 2024, 11:53:16 PM

Username
Password

Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: How to save the Undead Chariot for multiplayer!  (Read 7357 times)
Jeronimo
Night Goblin Shaman

View Profile
« on: November 28, 2013, 08:17:23 AM »

Trying to add a new unit for undead army... I found the same problem as Ghabry.
http://en.dark-omen.org/downloads/start-download/2.-modifications/3.-army-lists/singleplayer-regiments.html

Comments:siim paaliste 2010-05-20 19:21:35 i´ve downloaded it. humans and orcs work fine, but undead got problems. units what came with mod, like undead chariot on hand of nagash doesnt work. after buying it shows that soldier cost -23468........... and after u click on ikon, on boobpage or want to add arctifacts, it show error message and throw u to desktop

After a little research, it seems it has no "Regiment Class" assigned in book... which may lead to the crash.
Without it, you cannot buy horses when these die. I will try to find out what to change using HexEditor...

« Last Edit: November 28, 2013, 12:14:50 PM by Jeronimo » Logged
Ghabry
Developer

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2013, 10:49:09 AM »

The chariot lacks the initial value for rebuying dead units, too.

see http://forum.dark-omen.org/troops/troop-replacement-cost-formulas-t881.0.html;msg9110#msg9110

Jeronimo
Night Goblin Shaman

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2013, 12:07:42 PM »

With your topic link it's clear what is failing in DO... incomplete data.

Do you know where is located the "troop replacement formulas" in EngRel?
At least I found which code represents the chariot in the Hex... it is [3D] Symbol [=]

-----------------------------
I could change the "4 skulls" for a "Horse", but this is wrong because unit becomes "cavalry" and being "chariot" has its own mechanics... that's why I think the "4 skulls" are a decision to represent chariot types (and not a bug).
Ghabry
Developer

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2013, 01:12:50 PM »

Do you know where is located the "troop replacement formulas" in EngRel?
At least I found which code represents the chariot in the Hex... it is [3D] Symbol [=]

I tell you when I'm at my home pc.

I could change the "4 skulls" for a "Horse", but this is wrong because unit becomes "cavalry" and being "chariot" has its own mechanics... that's why I think the "4 skulls" are a decision to represent chariot types (and not a bug).

My guess is that the type is not initialized either and just points to some random value which is in that case a skulls image. You could check through the icons (forgot the filename of the spr file) with RDose and suggest a better one Wink

Jeronimo
Night Goblin Shaman

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2013, 11:51:56 PM »

I found all class icons here: Graphics\Books\BOOKBUT.SPR

I was looking for a "wheel" type icon but there aren't really spare icons.
There are nice icons from Shadow of Horned Rat, still nothing I could use for Chariots.

It's like designers just didn't bother about this class because wasn't going to be present at Multiplayer.
Quite a problem, can't be replaced for another class, because chariot's mechanics are unique.

The horses inflict the damage when hit, Chariot commander by itself is useless.
aqrit
Developer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2013, 08:45:21 AM »

SOTHR's BANCART is a wagon wheel on minilia background.
olly
Global Spokesperson

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2013, 04:37:27 PM »

I'd love to see them return and realise it's not ideal solution but Darkmancer brought back the Chariots in his Black Prophecy Mod by simply making the chariot and horses into one sprite, yes you loose out on the specific chariot rule but was still great to see them on the battlefield without crashes. There might still be a danger that once properly fixed in Multiplayer it may still cause random crashes, like the banner of wrath, due to the extra calculations during a huge battle.

A worthy project though!

Smiley 

and back in Nuln, the ageing Graf Berhardt smiled his secret smile of pride whenever he heard the latest tales of his eldest son's ever growing chain of glorious victories -(sothr manual)
Jeronimo
Night Goblin Shaman

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2013, 07:47:30 PM »

I'm still waiting for Ghabry to return to his home PC, and provide us vital information!
Ghabry
Developer

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2013, 10:35:44 PM »

I'm everyday evening at my home PC but I had problems locating the position of the data again. Wink

Looks like there is actually a fallback when the unit type is not supported. But the fallback is broken *g*

Untested fix to add chariot as a known unit type:
Should be at 0xBE900

There is FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF

First 4 FF are for unit type, last 4 index for displayed sprite in book (e.g. horse or sword, in bookbut.spr)

Chariot type is hex 0x38 (111000), so the first 4 FF must be 38 00 00 00.

Note: The CPU is little endian, that means you have to write values backwards. When you fill 0x38 with leading zeros its 00 00 00 38 and then write from right to left: 38 00 00 00.

And now fill the remaining 4 FF with a proper sprite index Wink

hari8
Big'un

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2013, 04:23:58 PM »

It's like designers just didn't bother about this class because wasn't going to be present at Multiplayer.
Quite a problem, can't be replaced for another class, because chariot's mechanics are unique.

Well why? Cheesy Were they pissed too much of them when they tested? XD
You can't just program a new class?  x)
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: