April 19, 2024, 05:32:31 AM

Username
Password

Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: How to get in touch with Aqrit or a question about magic books?  (Read 2650 times)
cuthalion
Campaign Creator

View Profile
« on: April 28, 2015, 02:11:08 PM »

Hey does anyone know how to get in touch with Aqrit apart from forum messages and email he has in his profile? Smiley He has not been replying for a while.
Actually maybe another developer who reads this can answer? I am copy-pasting the question:

I wonder if it is possible to expand amount of magic books the same way you expanded sprites and banners for troops. Look, there is a place in EngRel.exe, offset BEFC0 (engrel.exe with mod selector)

1A 1B 1C 1D 1E 1F 20 21 38 FF 00 00 00 00 00 00 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 38 FF 00 00 00 00 00 00 2A 2B 2C 2D 2E 2F 38 FF 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 FF

It definitely looks like list of available spells for each of 4 magic books:

Bright 1A-21 and 38 (38 stands for dispel magic), then separator FF
Then Ice 22-29 and 38 again, then Orc 2A-2F and 38 only 6 spells compared to bright and ice 8 spells, and this is correct amount
and finally dark book 30-37 and 38

Would it be possible to define more magic books and fill them with available spells from one or more primary books? Such spells will be later randomly selected every mission during campaign?
aqrit
Developer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2015, 04:00:45 PM »

I haven't looked into it yet.
The fun thing about software is that all things are possible, it just takes more time.

Are single player spells random? I though they were assigned by the ctl script.
btw, it is (now) possible to mix spells from the 4 books in the ctl script without crashing the game.

cuthalion
Campaign Creator

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2015, 04:47:58 PM »

Well Smiley
Spells can be assigned in ctl - I used that to assign spells to enemy wizards as well as my own units.
Enemy wizards are assigned spells via ctl, so if you substitute enemy necromancer with bright wizard in .arm file in some mission it will not give you anything, the game used to crash before, now the wizard will anyway cast necromantic spells - if I correctly understood what you were saying about 'wizards able to cast all school spells etc.'
Wizards under your control that have magic books are not assigned spells in ctl, they get a random list of spells from their primary magic book each mission.

There are 2 things that make things inconvenient:

1. There was not known any proper randomizer function in ctl 3 years ago and I doubt there appeared one since then.

2. To assign spells to a unit in ctl for every of 25 missions makes things unflexible. It takes a lot of time, and you cannot use same ctl file with a different army file anymore: Imagine you assigned a few spells to a unit with unit_id=10 (some kind of magic-using unit) and then decided to play the same campaign with a different army, where unit_id=10 is used by ordinary infantry. You would not want your infantry to cast conflagration or wings of fire etc.

So my question was about creating a custom magic book for my own troops, then DO will itself select a list of random spells for every mission only to those units that have that custom magic book.

For example: I may want a half-wizard that would have a set of 4 spells:
here we go, fireball, shield of cold, soul drain, dispel magic. And I want spells from that predefined custom book to be randomly given to my wizard during singleplayer campaign.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: