March 19, 2024, 12:12:37 PM

Username
Password

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Dark Omen in Full 3D Mode High Res XP and No Flicker!  (Read 68696 times)
Thoreg
Troll

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 11, 2012, 09:24:56 AM »

Hi,

At first, I'm new to the forum so hello everybody! I've been a Dark Omen fan for ages and it's good to see that I'm not alone with this.

Since I reinstalled the game after some years I've been wondering why does the screen flicker if I turn on 3D and finally I found the answer here. Well, another good reason to get a good old CRT next to the fact that light guns also work only with them (The House of the Dead powa).

Well, I couldn't find anywhere a comparison of the graphics of Dark Omen with 3D turned on and off, so I decided to make one. Since it flickers with 3D on I had to pause the game with Esc but luckily the menu doesn't hide too much of the screen.

Screenshot 1 3D OFF:

Screenshot 1 3D ON:

Screenshot 2 3D OFF:

Screenshot 2 3D ON:

Well there IS difference between the two modes, especially the faces are smoother with 3D on (the black squares are also just rendering flaws). But in the end the game's resolution is 640x480 and if I resize the screen to Full HD the difference won't matter that much. Smiley I hope somone will find this interesting!

Cheers,
Thoreg
Ghabry
Developer

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 11, 2012, 02:10:05 PM »

We have no idea why it flickers.
But the "solution" is really to run Win98 or run a monitor at 100 or more Hz.
I guess that it still flickers, but our eyes are too slow to see this.

olly
Global Spokesperson

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 11, 2012, 08:11:49 PM »

Nice comparison pictures thanks, here's some more info ->

Full 3d mode has transparent Water

and also allows Sprite filtering (Options Menu) that improves their looks

In 3d mode there are a Higher amount of Dead bodies that remain alot longer on the Battlefield and also more Particle Effects (polygons)

At least in the near future, when all TFT Flat Screen Monitor/Tvs (100Hz capable) are cheaper, then we can all play each other in 3d mode again! (Also Requires Nvidia Graphics Options etc..)

http://accessories.euro.dell.com/sna/productdetail.aspx?c=uk&l=en&s=dhs&cs=ukdhs1&sku=376160&~ck=bncat&~bk=gr:CategoryRec_catpab2,g:MostBought,rk:

Smiley
« Last Edit: November 12, 2012, 11:40:12 AM by olly » Logged

and back in Nuln, the ageing Graf Berhardt smiled his secret smile of pride whenever he heard the latest tales of his eldest son's ever growing chain of glorious victories -(sothr manual)
Thoreg
Troll

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 12, 2012, 04:59:53 AM »

We have no idea why it flickers.
But the "solution" is really to run Win98 or run a monitor at 100 or more Hz.
I guess that it still flickers, but our eyes are too slow to see this.

Mmm so you say under Win98 we wouldn't need a 100 Hz monitor? What about Virtual PC? Is it possible to create a virtual Win98?

Olly, thanks for the screens they're great! Smiley
Ghabry
Developer

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 12, 2012, 05:26:44 PM »

No VirtualPC has no 3D support (and all other Virtual Machine Programs dont support 3D under 98)

Sark
Troll

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 27, 2013, 07:28:14 AM »

Oh man, I've been trying to get 3D mode to work for hours. I've tried everything I could find here to no avail, the 3D setting is still greyed out for me. Does anyone have any idea what could be wrong?
olly
Global Spokesperson

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 27, 2013, 02:07:51 PM »

If your are using Windows XP there is no fix for full 3D, unless you use Win 7 or Win 8

http://forum.dark-omen.org/help-section/3d-mode-and-win8-dark-omen-t1164.0.html

Then you can use a Hex Edited EngRel.exe to make it work, if you do have Win 7 or Win 8 then I can send you my EngRel.exe and registry settings to allow 3d mode not be greyed out.

Smiley

and back in Nuln, the ageing Graf Berhardt smiled his secret smile of pride whenever he heard the latest tales of his eldest son's ever growing chain of glorious victories -(sothr manual)
Ghabry
Developer

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 27, 2013, 04:48:19 PM »

Do you have the Vista/Win7 Fix installed? That compatibility fix disables the 3d mode, sorry. Sad

deffnator
Giant Spider

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 25, 2019, 01:39:46 AM »

Good Night and Merry Christmas Everyone, i've been lurking these forums for a long time and i love WHFB.

For years Dark Omen always hated modern pc's and even to make it run on win 10 was a chore.
Well Recently, Dege, the author and dev of the miraculous DgVoodoo2 Wrapper for old games, created a patched EXE for the game that fixes the atrocious rainbow bugs and it enables the use of wrappers to 4k resolution, and even reshade.

https://www.vogons.org/viewtopic.php?p=803101#p803101

this thread has some screenshots testing it.

i've wanted to share these news with all of you, this since these news went off radar for everyone.
and sorry for the joke there, but this needs to be spread!

merry xmas and may 2020 be a good year for Fantasy Gaming, mainly now that the old world is coming back!

* EngRel 2019-12-19 18-28-17.png (3484.05 KB. 1920x1080 - viewed 536 times.)

AND YES 3d WORKS!

olly
Global Spokesperson

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 25, 2019, 06:10:41 PM »

Great  will test it out, thanks.

olly
Global Spokesperson

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 27, 2019, 12:19:24 AM »

Works really well with the latest dgVoodoo v2.63 after copy and pasting its D3DImm.dll & DDraw.dll files into Dark Omen's PRG_ENG folder, along with Dege's new DARKOMEN.exe

https://www.vogons.org/viewtopic.php?f=59&t=70449&p=811580#p811580

* DO Dege.jpg (179.65 KB. 640x480 - viewed 488 times.)

Can Dege's latest fix be incorporated into our Mod Pack EngRel.exe?

aqrit
Developer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: December 27, 2019, 10:38:14 PM »

One would use a hex-editor to "diff" Dege's patched executable with the original executable to obtain the patch sequence.  I wonder about the "fullscreen window mode" hack currently in the Mod Pack...
deffnator
Giant Spider

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 28, 2019, 12:29:35 AM »

One would use a hex-editor to "diff" Dege's patched executable with the original executable to obtain the patch sequence.  I wonder about the "fullscreen window mode" hack currently in the Mod Pack...
Vogons was off over this entire evening due to the new changes, but i think he would be fine, as long as you guys ask him.

ericdejager
Troll

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 28, 2019, 07:53:13 PM »

Hi All Veterans,
Really sorry to ask this, but i'm struggling with this flicker. I've tried every suggestion, I'm using a downloaded version, which they say the fix is just a ALT + TAB combo, but still does not work...
I was so excited to get this again, so many good long memories, but super frustrating.
Regards
Eric
olly
Global Spokesperson

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 28, 2019, 08:21:55 PM »

Hi and welcome,

you need an English UK CD version and then follow my guide and you might have to use the dgVodoo emulator

http://forum.dark-omen.org/help-section/read-me-ultimate-dark-omen-xpvistawin7win81win10-game-fixes-t111.0.html

Smiley

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
Print
Jump to: