April 16, 2024, 10:07:26 PM

Username
Password

Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: CD or No CD, that is the question!  (Read 1358 times)
WitchFinder
Giant Scorpion

View Profile
« on: May 02, 2023, 08:52:44 PM »

Hi all,

I have an original UK CD of WHDO which I really want to get running again on my W10 PC. I've followed all the instructions on the sticky post, including running the registry fixes and making sure Direct Play is ticked.

I managed to get the game to start and as per the instructions I went to options and amended the visual settings. But I found turning on coloured pointers gave me a normal pointer and then a second ghost pointer off to one side.

After that, I found that starting the game with the new PRG_ENG file in the C drive just brings up an error about Direct X not being compatible or it starts and crashes (depending on what version or compatibility settings I fiddle with). But I can get the game to start if I use the old PRG_ENG file on the CD itself and it starts and looks fine - but it then brings up an in-game pop up which asks to locate the CD drive. The drive is listed but the continue button doesn't do anything.

So I'm stuck in a bit of a loop - the game wont let me run it off the cd, and the fix doesn't run right.

Any ideas? is there a simple change I can make to the settings / registry so the game will run off the CD again?

Thanks for your help!!
olly
Global Spokesperson

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2023, 07:45:28 AM »

Hi and welcome, just run the virtualstore registry fix and not the other and then search your registry to ensure it is pointing to the correct location. The mod pack EngRel.exe is modified to not require the CD so sounds like you're missing a step of the guide, so please post evidence of each stage such as C:\Program Files (x86)\Dark Omen

Also download and configure dgvoodoo2 to fix the double cursor issue.

« Last Edit: May 03, 2023, 10:49:06 AM by olly » Logged

and back in Nuln, the ageing Graf Berhardt smiled his secret smile of pride whenever he heard the latest tales of his eldest son's ever growing chain of glorious victories -(sothr manual)
WitchFinder
Giant Scorpion

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2023, 07:58:39 PM »

Thank you for the speedy response! Really hoping i can get this sorted and back into WHDO...

I've already run both the virtual store and 64 bit registry fixes - but if i only need to run one (as per your last message), is it already too late? Do I need to uninstall and try starting again, or can i just manually amend the registries?

Currently, the Virtual Registry says that the Programme is set to: c:\program files (x86)\dark omen\prg_eng

Can i just change this to f: (my cd drive) so it runs off the cd but everything else works as per the updates?

WitchFinder
Giant Scorpion

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2023, 08:22:58 PM »

Scratch that - tried changing the programme entry in virtual store to my f drive but it didn't work Sad

The game started but it still asks for me to locate the cd drive when i try to start the campaign, but the in-game pop wont let me select it (even though f drive it is listed)

Anybody else had this issue? Any suggestions?

olly
Global Spokesperson

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2023, 08:54:11 PM »

Dark omen can not run on Windows 10 without our fixes embedded within the Mod Pack EngRel.exe, so don't try the CD. Please post screenshots of you completing each of the 5 steps of the guide, or I can just remote in via Teamviewer.

« Last Edit: May 03, 2023, 09:11:34 PM by olly » Logged

and back in Nuln, the ageing Graf Berhardt smiled his secret smile of pride whenever he heard the latest tales of his eldest son's ever growing chain of glorious victories -(sothr manual)
WitchFinder
Giant Scorpion

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2023, 09:37:16 PM »

I’ve gone through all 5 of the steps but I’ll try to send some screengrabs.

How do I add images to the forum though - the image tool just inserts Img code as below (do I need to host the image elsewhere online and link it it? Sorry to be a bit useless!!

olly
Global Spokesperson

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2023, 09:41:45 PM »

Click on Additional Options and Choose file to attach.

Far easier for me to remote in and fix than troubleshoot, as resolved thousands of peoples' issues which all turn out to be not following the guide.

Smiley

* DO.jpg (301.56 KB, 1926x1004 - viewed 136 times.)

WitchFinder
Giant Scorpion

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2023, 09:58:24 PM »

Hi, following on from the last reply (and sorry for the delay), here are some screenshots from my install.

I think everything is how it should be, but please let me know if you can see anything that looks off!

When i run the new Engrel file, i get the error message about direct X. During the installation it asked me if i wanted to update this and i said yes, but it immediately finished the install seemingly without doing anything. i assume this was because the Direct X version had since been superceded since the game came out, but maybe i'm wrong?

Also, i can get the game to run using the old (original) Engrel file and with the cd in the drive, but it only gets me to the main menu of the game. When i try to start the game it asks for me to locate the cd drive, but wont let me progress past that screen.

anybody got any ideas?

* 1 - installed and folder renamed.PNG (28.86 KB, 663x444 - viewed 118 times.)

* 2 - movies folder.PNG (31.51 KB, 650x403 - viewed 127 times.)

* 3 - mods copied.PNG (9.9 KB, 693x345 - viewed 125 times.)

* 4 - registry.PNG (47.63 KB, 964x546 - viewed 127 times.)

* error msg.PNG (6.04 KB, 409x144 - viewed 228 times.)
olly
Global Spokesperson

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2023, 10:01:57 PM »

The guide suggests to disable UAC and Antivirus. You can also remove all your compatibility settings as not required. Then confirm you are launching the game from the new EngRel.exe in C:\Program Files (x86)\Dark Omen\PRG_ENG

Search registry for Dark Omen and delete any other installed locations and also install the other 64bit registry fix, to test.

There  is either something blocking it running on your pc such as UAC or AV, or the registry paths are incorrect and early install attempts may still exist in the registry.

Also try dgvoodoo2 version 2.63 with the correct settings.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2023, 12:33:06 AM by olly » Logged

Ravemmore
Troll

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2023, 11:57:55 PM »

Damn...ran into the same problem. Did everything 100% correct, but the game is still asking for a CD.
I tried to use the patcher from the downloads section. Says the file is already patched. Still asks for a CD.
Tried moving my CD files to my C: drive just in case Dark Omen finds them there...no luck.
I'm at my wits' end with this :/

EDIT: FIXED IT!
For whatever reason overwriting the ENG_ folder didn't work. you really have to rename it and paste the one from the zip. Weird but true.

Cool, now it works =)
« Last Edit: May 20, 2023, 12:32:39 AM by Ravemmore » Logged
olly
Global Spokesperson

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2023, 09:39:54 AM »

Good to hear that it works after precisely following the 5 steps of the guide and appreciate your honesty to admit where you hadn't. There's a pint of ale waiting at Bugman's brewery  Smiley

Step 2 of the guide
2) Locate your Dark Omen folder, such as  C:\Program Files\Dark Omen or C:\Program Files (x86)\Dark Omen and rename the PRG_ENG folder to PRG_ENGOrig
« Last Edit: May 20, 2023, 05:31:36 PM by olly » Logged

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: