March 28, 2024, 10:20:28 AM

Username
Password

Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Back after so long, Win 7 issues  (Read 6989 times)
armoured-lemming
Orc Boy

View Profile
« on: March 24, 2016, 06:44:14 PM »

Hey folks, couldn't believe when I saw the last time id posted on here was all the way back in 2009!

It's nice to see a few of the names I remember, Olly and Ghabry, are still keeping this site going Cheesy

Anyways, after a long time away ive decided I want to get back into DO and tried to reinstall it onto my Windows 7, 64 bit rig (I don't trust Win 10!) but ive run into a lot of issues...

The first was the d3drm.dll missing which I sorted after some fiddling about, dropping the file into the Computer > Local Disk (C:) > Windows > System and boom, the PC finally understands what this relic from the past is!  Grin

Next I followed the installation instructions given on the forum by Olly: http://forum.dark-omen.org/help-section/ultimate-dark-omen-xpvistawin7win81win10-game-fixes-t111.0.html
Up to point 3, it took a few minutes to move the new files in for the  expansion data but on launching the game I have the usual *BOOM* electronic arts *acid noise for Games Workshop* then the words that will be forever engraved into my mind ''And it will be a time of great strife, when the moons are united in darkness, and the dead shall walk the earth once more...'' Gets me every time! Wink

Sadly after either Left Clicking or pressing the ESC key the main menus music will chime in yet the game itself will be frozen! on a ALT + ALT + DEL input to exit the game (the only way I could at this point) and open the task manager, the game is apparently not responding.  Embarrassed

I've spent the better part of 4 hours trying different methods, from using DoSBox and using a file to using my original CD to install the game, and every time I get to the same roadblock of the game outright refusing to get past the intro, no main menu, no gameplay, just the music and a frozen screen.  :'(

I really wish GOG would have DO on its library... since they have SOTHR, Chaos Gate, Final Liberation and even Rites of War! where's the DO?!? its like playing DOOM without the BFG 9000 not being in the game!

Anyways, if anyone can help a long time player and fan of the game get this running Id be massively grateful, I've also been working more on my Tabletop army based around SOTHR and DO regiments and would love to share my work on here... it really had been took long since I was last here... Sad

Many thanks!

'its cheap, cowardly, and boardline rule breaking... but i like it!'
olly
Global Spokesperson

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2016, 09:05:36 PM »

Hi and welcome back!

Try importing the Fix guide's Registry as the game can't start as it is missing Registry settings.

Smiley

and back in Nuln, the ageing Graf Berhardt smiled his secret smile of pride whenever he heard the latest tales of his eldest son's ever growing chain of glorious victories -(sothr manual)
armoured-lemming
Orc Boy

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2016, 11:59:41 PM »

Hey and thanks Olly!

Erm, I'm not too sure what importing the fix guild's registry means, I'm still not very computer savvy  Embarrassed

olly
Global Spokesperson

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2016, 12:24:45 AM »

Step 5) of the Help Fix guide you have been following but not completed ->

"So download and install these Registry settings" ->

https://www.dropbox.com/s/f6qukldeel1w3nl/DOWin8.1.reg?dl=0

Extract and then double click on the file and it will auto install the correct Dark Omen registry settings that can be viewed

Start -> Run -> regedit -> browse to

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Electronic Arts]

Or pop into chat channel and we now use TeamViewer for me to remote in and fix the game in 10mins

Smiley

and back in Nuln, the ageing Graf Berhardt smiled his secret smile of pride whenever he heard the latest tales of his eldest son's ever growing chain of glorious victories -(sothr manual)
armoured-lemming
Orc Boy

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2016, 12:40:06 AM »

I tried following step 5 though I think I may have messed something up?

I was able to find [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Electronic Arts] but didn't know what to do then.

I think ill pop into the chat instead, think I'd feel better having someone with the knowledge to do so do it rather then me ending up breaking my PC  Grin if that's not too much trouble of course!

TeamViewer?

olly
Global Spokesperson

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2016, 12:43:37 AM »

Download the registry settings file and extract it somewhere like Downloads or My Documents and then double click on it to install.

Or pop into Chat channel now or message me your Teamviewer ID and connection password, after you download it ->

http://www.teamviewer.com/en/download/windows/?pid=google.tv_11_sl1.s.uk&gclid=CPSf9-2_2ssCFesV0wodwYUK1A

Smiley

armoured-lemming
Orc Boy

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2016, 12:52:54 AM »

Just installing teamviewer 11 now, its just taking a little time.
Never used this program so I'm hoping its all safe.

olly
Global Spokesperson

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2016, 12:54:59 AM »

no worries, it's all safe. Google it if unsure, just saves me a lot of time.

armoured-lemming
Orc Boy

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2016, 01:55:02 AM »

Just wanted to say a massive thanks again for sorting all this out for me Olly!

Maybe when I get used to the controls (so used to more modern RTS and muscle memory) I can see you on the battlefield!

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: