March 29, 2024, 12:20:39 AM

Username
Password

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: 3 Campaigns - Elf, Orc and Undead  (Read 24858 times)
Lord Ludwig
Giant Spider

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 25, 2009, 12:47:00 PM »

Hi folks, I hope you're willing to help me out here.

As I said, in the weekend I was going to try out the "special army" file kindly made for me, as well as the goblin and dwarf campaign. At first all went very well. I played through the whole campaign yesterday with the special army in "fast mode" (without taking any sidequests). I was wondering if I could defeat the dread king with a non-optimal experience, and of course I wasn't. Pistoliers and elven archers were, as logical, impressive in the first half of the game - the vampire was a bit disappointing, I remember the undead army file of several years ago had the vampire able to summon zombies, while this one never got that spell due to low xp I suppose - but in the end, not having most of the items and with not enough experience I was summarily slaughtered at the black pyramid. Till there all well, great fun to replay the game after years, and I was even thinking about using the win32 editor to try building my own campaign.

Then however, instead of going to sleep, I decided to have a quick peek at the start of the goblin and dwarven campaign, and there things went wrong. Although I had stored the original game data in a separate folder, I must have been a little sleepy and got it overwritten at some point. So this morning I thought I could solve things making a second install on my separate second hard disk, but this only got things worse. I soon found out for some reason the game was always reading the army files form the second installation instead of from the first. As a result I couldn't get it to run the mods anymore. So I uninstalled both of them - manually, because going through uninstallshield did not work. However, when I try to install a fresh version now I always get the message that dark omen is already installed. I presume there must be lines of it left in the registry, and that's a bit risky for me to go deleting things...

So what can I do to solve this, to get a new functional install to tinker with without risking to screw up everything? Many thanks to those kind, patient and computer savvy enough to help.
Wkurwiony
Skeleton Warrior

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 25, 2009, 02:10:42 PM »

Hi folks, I hope you're willing to help me out here.

As I said, in the weekend I was going to try out the "special army" file kindly made for me, as well as the goblin and dwarf campaign. At first all went very well. I played through the whole campaign yesterday with the special army in "fast mode" (without taking any sidequests). I was wondering if I could defeat the dread king with a non-optimal experience, and of course I wasn't. Pistoliers and elven archers were, as logical, impressive in the first half of the game - the vampire was a bit disappointing, I remember the undead army file of several years ago had the vampire able to summon zombies, while this one never got that spell due to low xp I suppose - but in the end, not having most of the items and with not enough experience I was summarily slaughtered at the black pyramid. Till there all well, great fun to replay the game after years, and I was even thinking about using the win32 editor to try building my own campaign.

Then however, instead of going to sleep, I decided to have a quick peek at the start of the goblin and dwarven campaign, and there things went wrong. Although I had stored the original game data in a separate folder, I must have been a little sleepy and got it overwritten at some point. So this morning I thought I could solve things making a second install on my separate second hard disk, but this only got things worse. I soon found out for some reason the game was always reading the army files form the second installation instead of from the first. As a result I couldn't get it to run the mods anymore. So I uninstalled both of them - manually, because going through uninstallshield did not work. However, when I try to install a fresh version now I always get the message that dark omen is already installed. I presume there must be lines of it left in the registry, and that's a bit risky for me to go deleting things...

So what can I do to solve this, to get a new functional install to tinker with without risking to screw up everything? Many thanks to those kind, patient and computer savvy enough to help.

i think you should download program like "ccleaner", clean your registry with it, and try install it again
Lord Ludwig
Giant Spider

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 25, 2009, 02:31:30 PM »

Thanks for the suggestion, but it doesn't seem to work. I had already tried the same with jv16, now I tried with ccleaner which indeed found some more registry keys it deemed useless (I found out it also deleted the cookie allowing me to log in here automatically), but after deleting them I still get the message that an install of dark omen is already present. 
olor
Night Goblin Archer

The one who can say - Hi Im back again.

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 25, 2009, 02:51:59 PM »

Try Regedit?

Start > Run > Regedit > HKEY LOCAL MACHINE > SOFTWARE > ELECTRONIC ARTS and delete Dark Omen
Lord Ludwig
Giant Spider

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 25, 2009, 05:38:13 PM »

That worked, Olor. Many thanks.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: