March 19, 2024, 04:19:50 AM

Username
Password

Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Programs to make sprites  (Read 22966 times)
crash
Developer

View Profile
« on: November 07, 2013, 07:29:35 PM »

Here are a couple of programs I googled to help make sprites.  Check them out.

Fragmotion
  I don't know how much it costs, but it can be used for free.  It has a window that you have to type the Lord's prayer in.  That will unlock the program for a week.  It has a builtin function for creating sprites, just mess around with it and see.

* altinf.png (106.3 KB. 600x400 - viewed 1537 times.)

SpriteForge
  I think this one was easier to create sprites with, but the free version will only let you create one 50 x 50 sprite at a time.  However, you can do all of the directions at once, you just have to combine them into one sheet.

Since you have permission to use models from the Call of Warhammer mod, try this:

Follow these steps to get a new sprite into the game

1. convert model to ms3d format with Mesh_2_ms3d_beta_1_8
   if converting RTW model, use GOAT_version1_1, and do not use Knight errant skel.

2. use GOAT_version1_1 Animerge function to add a Mtw2.cas animation to the model
   for this to work, the model filename must end in  _lod0  !!!

3. import in fragmotion and add the textures, setting the emissive color to white
   cycle through the anim, using export pose on wanted frames to .b3d
   before export, adjust the model positions

4. import .b3d anim in spriteforge
   set fullbright-ignore lighting
   set zoom--center the model and zoom to fill the window
   set output to size 50,50 and frames 1,1 no footer

5. use spritesheeteditor(google it) to combine frames
   make sure first spr is facing up, then rest rotate to the right
   save as png

6. open png in pdn, using wand to select whitespace, and delete it, then save
   also, fix any spots that look wrong

7. Enjoy!!

olly
Global Spokesperson

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2013, 08:06:50 PM »

awesome plans, cant wait to try out asap,  wicked!  Smiley

and back in Nuln, the ageing Graf Berhardt smiled his secret smile of pride whenever he heard the latest tales of his eldest son's ever growing chain of glorious victories -(sothr manual)
olly
Global Spokesperson

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2013, 01:52:41 PM »

Have been following your guide but could you tell me which .CAS you use for the animerge as mine has frames but no movement when playing through the animation in FragMotion (Lord_of_Khorne_lod0.ms3d and main_general.cas). Excellent programs, nice find!

Smiley

and back in Nuln, the ageing Graf Berhardt smiled his secret smile of pride whenever he heard the latest tales of his eldest son's ever growing chain of glorious victories -(sothr manual)
crash
Developer

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2013, 04:48:38 PM »

You will have to download Calibans animations directory from totalwar fansite.  Or you can use the mtw2 unpack tool to extract the animations that are already part of the game.  The previous total war rome used .cas as the format for it's models, so be careful, as mtw2 uses them for the strat map models.  The typical name for an animation as example>   sword_att_fail or something like that.  I am on tablet right now, so i cant be exact.  I think main_general refers to a strat map model.

Oh, i should probably add in step 3 you are adjusting the position to center the model, because the animation will translate the model away from center.
olly
Global Spokesperson

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2013, 05:09:07 PM »

Cheers, will seek out Calibans animations directory.

Thanks

Smiley

(any chance you could upload your debug latest code again please for your remake project)

crash
Developer

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2013, 05:21:54 PM »

This might do.  on a tablet right now, so cant say for sure.  You will have to f6 build the project, then copy the sprites folder from the release you posted the pic from, to the bin/debug and release folders to match what you already have.  This should work.  Get it now.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2013, 07:32:28 PM by crash » Logged
crash
Developer

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2013, 06:09:26 PM »

Post when you dl it please
olly
Global Spokesperson

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2013, 07:03:06 PM »

"I have it!" and also Calibans animations directory.

Thanks

Smiley

crash
Developer

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2013, 07:34:01 PM »

Please only share it with the core members of your site.  Dont forget you need the full xna framework to build it.
olly
Global Spokesperson

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 23, 2013, 08:32:42 PM »

Animations now working thanks and understood about the source code, I'm only viewing it for my own learning and hoping to possibly help in the future etc. Much appreciated

Smiley

crash
Developer

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2013, 08:28:06 PM »

Olly, have you figured out how to get Fragmo to generate the sprites?
olly
Global Spokesperson

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 15, 2013, 12:59:02 AM »

I'm still learning but Yes, it saves so much time, thanks for the guide. Will allow whole armies of all the Warhammer Races to be rapidly made.  

Smiley

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: