March 28, 2024, 10:26:10 AM

Username
Password

Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: When is a topic "Dead"?  (Read 6805 times)
DjLeBomb
Halberdier

"Fire walk with me"

View Profile
« on: June 13, 2010, 01:32:28 AM »

I'm taking a walk around the forum, reading old posts, and so on. And today i was in this post: http://forum.dark-omen.org/tavern/wh90k-stop-action-animation-on-youtube-t396.0.html

After looking the video and happy after having enjoy it, i was going to reply posting something like "thanks for sharing it, i really like it" and maybe share a video related, or not.

But suddenly i had remember a discussion that i read some time ago in another forum that catched my attention; in this topic two forum terms where bring up by a moderator to make a warning to a member:

- THREADOMANCY : reviving an old forum topic after many months, often simply adding nothing to the topic itself by only replying "I agree."

(Example)

Poster: I think that Bush didn't actually expect to find WMDs, he was only trying to take Saddam out of power.

2 months later.

Threadomancer: I agree.

- BUMP : To bump a thread on an Internet forum is to post a reply to it purely in order to raise the thread's profile. This will typically return it to the top of the list of active threads. It has been suggested that "bump" is an acronym of "bring up my post",[1] however this is almost certainly a backronym and the usage is entirely consistent with the verb "bump" which means "To knock to a new position".[2] It can also be used in personal messages (PMs) or instant messages (IMs) on the Web, to return an older message to the top of the list.

The post that i was going to do in the Mikademus topic i think it is related to the "treadomancy" thing, so i search through the net looking for some material about it, but i found only one interesting topic related in a forum, with a few interesting opinions:

- POSTER A: "...I am just wondering. It tends to vary between forums. Also, if there is a old/dead thread and some one wants to discuss that topic should a new thread make a new one or revive the old?..."

- POSTER B: "I'll try to answer this based on my own experience as a mod and admin of other forums, so take this with a grain of salt.

If a previous topic exists, old or not, that is on the topic you wish to discuss, then by all means, revive the old thread. It prevents repeat threads and forum clutter, and everything on the topic that has previously been discussed is in the same thread, thus easier to find. (And as a side benefit, it doesn't take up server memory/)"

- POSTER C: "a thread isn't every truly dead until it's locked or deleted. Best to have all the information in one thread I say."

- POSTER D: "necro posting"? what? how is that a bad thing? if the topic is up, and you have something to say, say it. its a forum, not a news channel."

Personally, since i'm not a forum's expert, i normally agree with the Poster D (note that i'm not talking here about the "Out of Topic" term), and if nothing more its needed to say in a topic it should have been close. But since i understand that there are exceptions, things related that i'm not informed, and poor people not used to the forum codes that could fall in this situations with no bad intentions, i made this topic.

I would like to have mainly the moderators opinions, to establish a conclusion about the topic, but of course all the opinions are welcome.

"Of course you should fight fire with fire. You should fight everything with fire." Jaya Ballard, task mage.
Flak
Super Moderator

Jake Nielsen

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2010, 09:13:21 AM »

im not sure what your tryn to get at
if you wanna add input to an old topic then by all means do that
i dont think deleting or locking topics is very good, i often go into old topics to find info

"There is only one way out of hell, thats through it" -- General Patton

"Just because a mage wears the Black Robes, does not make him evil." -- Raislin Magere

"Evil Turns upon it self" -- Paladine
alavet
Orc Shaman

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2010, 09:19:24 AM »

i was able to read 3/5 of your text but then my head start getting heat.

so i think our forum not the biggest one and we currently dont need any limitations for "old' threads, as long as your post in english.

Battle not with monsters, lest ye become a monster, and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.
bembelimen
Crossbowman

Who am I and how many?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2010, 01:38:28 PM »

i think our forum not the biggest one

That's the point Wink So at the moment it's ok to "push" old topics. When we'll have one million member we'll perhaps change this behaviour but for now it doesn't matter how old a post is. Sometime it's very useful to reanimate a thread, when you found new interesting aspects about the topic. But you should in general be careful in posting something like "i agree", it looks better, if you write some more words and explain, why you agree (independent how old the topic is)

"Sir we are surrounded!!!" "Excellent, then we can attack in any direction."
Ghabry
Developer

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2010, 03:24:19 PM »

I see no problems in reviving old topics as long as the new content is useful to the others (= no "Me too/I agree").
But i think that you also shouldn't write "I agree/Cool Smiley" in every not-old topic you see. Many people dislike it when user spams 1-liners in lots of threads.

DjLeBomb
Halberdier

"Fire walk with me"

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2010, 04:07:57 PM »

Roger.

"Of course you should fight fire with fire. You should fight everything with fire." Jaya Ballard, task mage.
CidHalsey
Campaign Creator

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2010, 06:18:15 PM »

It occures to me I should probably have read the forum rules before I started posting? Since I just hapharzardly reply to everything of interest recent or not.

It does make sense though, that since we're so small not to particularly bother with many rules.. After all, there are so few of us to offend in the first place, and if anyone did get annoyed it would be pretty clear. (And sad, we can't really afford conflict.)
Mikademus
Developer

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2010, 06:49:18 PM »

I personally have no understanding of forum police lamenting "thread necromancy" - if someone has information pertinent to an already existing thread then it should be added there, and any ensuing discussion will have the benefit of all already provided information.

So yeah, do raise old threads! :thumbsup:

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: