March 29, 2024, 11:41:33 AM

Username
Password

Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Wraiths Secret  (Read 9686 times)
lordbraprus
Crossbowman

wiiiii

View Profile WWW
« on: August 27, 2009, 10:28:10 AM »

[Jeronimo] I love this tactic when I play Undead. They are the only race with this advantage.

Combine Wraiths + skeleton archers + UD catapults: Fight with Wraiths and shoot them with archers and catapults.
They wont receive damage and enemy yes.
If Wraiths are going to be over attacked, use skeleton archers to encounter other enemy Regiments (this way you dont risk Wraiths to start routing)
A strong wizard is welcome here: Best spell you can have is "Animate Dead" (16/16 zombies will help to encounter too)
A cavalry is welcome here: to encounter an enemy cavalry instead of engaging with archers... this way archers will continue firing to Wraiths.

Skeleton archers are the worst in the game, so to not miss many shots, keep them 1 step behind wraiths (dont shoot with catapults  Wink or archers will suffer the impact)
A typical image, which I dont have, is a Wraith fighting and sorrounded by skeleton archers shooting at him and the enemy which is fighting. Or Wraith fighting and 3 Catapult shots falling upon them (Wraiths will entertain enemy, the good part of this is making Enemy Regiments an "easy target", because wont be able to move due to be fighting)
And last, but not less important, Wraiths are a useful anti-proyectil force to face enemy artillery (using the same "Ptolos bonus" you become the terror of High-Defensive Armies)

XX  Grin
« Last Edit: August 27, 2009, 10:39:27 AM by lordbraprus » Logged

ito maquiesves
alavet
Orc Shaman

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2009, 06:29:41 AM »

huh, thanks for sharing! pretty much interesting tactic!

never thought about it. another story that i've played agaisnt wraights only ONCE (in all my multiplayer DO life) so.. don't know who will appreciate this advice :-)

hovewer i personally like to play with wraights and use them in my UD armybuilds 5/15 quite often. but i prefer to take as many units with them as possible (since UD rather costly in points/gold so for 5k you may easilly fill your army to 10 regiments and find yourself without any money.

when playing wraights you definately need strong/unbrekable or at least masss units to block wraights from attacking the rear. i prefer to take 1-2 skeletons and some regiment with BoD and place wraight in the center of army.

however as we discussed with flak, wraights mission is usually not to take whole game by their own but mostly to use them either as blocker (another "unbrekabale" unit in other means) or as a !cavalry! charging weaker/mediocore units.

like a cavalry they're very fragile if faced with multi opponents, but they have very good fighting stats and causing fear (and also since they dont take loses they more likely to win in "test for panic in the end of each turn") so they're usually ending up with making regiment route within 2-3 turns (or sometimes while charging).

placing whole game around wraights might be possibly mistake against strong opponents (as any other tactic based on "one special unit"). unfortunately ud catapuilt is very unaccurate so you need  luck to hit anything (also i'm not sure that catapuilt wouldnt hurt wraights - isnt effect of wounds is "fire"?). but skeleton archers seems as a much better idea (hovewer more cosly by points and maybe price?). it has own minuses, since skeleton warriors usually charging and might get bonuses from causing fear or attaking flanks (and archer usually getting atatcked so causing fear not that good). but still very nice idea sir!

Battle not with monsters, lest ye become a monster, and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.
bembelimen
Crossbowman

Who am I and how many?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2009, 05:01:51 PM »

Indeed nice tactic. I used something similar with flaks, but Wraiths are much more useful, cause of there immunity against normal damage. Nice one!!

"Sir we are surrounded!!!" "Excellent, then we can attack in any direction."
lordbraprus
Crossbowman

wiiiii

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2009, 10:20:31 PM »

[Jeronimo] Hi everyone. Wraiths dont take damage from catapults. I prefer to play this tactic with 9k since you can also have a strong wizard and help with "Animate dead", at the same time allows you to have experienced catapults archers which fire at faster speed and perhaps a salvation cavalry.
One more thing... Dont use experienced Wraiths, they are the same in all levels I mean their wont be less prone to flee, so buy the first ones, at level 3: this allows you to affor the others Regiments above.

ito maquiesves
Jeronimo
Night Goblin Shaman

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2010, 03:55:45 AM »

I have just done this 9k army with the version Fair Omen 2010. It works fine for this tactic.

Necromancer
Skeleton Archers
Skeleton Archers
Skeleton Archers
Screaming Skull Catapult
Screaming Skull Catapult
Wraiths
Wraiths
Wights
Skeleton Horsemen
jenny22brandon
Troll

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2011, 07:19:37 AM »

Wraiths seems to be of great use and love to play with this tactic.

alavet
Orc Shaman

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2011, 10:54:52 AM »

super weak army for 9k btw

;-)

Battle not with monsters, lest ye become a monster, and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.
Flak
Super Moderator

Jake Nielsen

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2011, 10:58:35 AM »

I have used Wraiths extensively in the 2nd conquest and found they are fragile if facing strong enemies but with support and used against the flank of an enemy army and sweeping inwards so they only face 1-2 regiments at the time they can quickly send the enemies running.
The problem is that in the conquest game Wraiths had more M and better LD than the regular and still they often would die if the battles dragged out.
Skeleton archers are also too slow and inaccurate to yield efficient support, if the undead had some better archers wraiths could be a better weapon, but this isnt the case and the scull catapult because it uses fire is just as likely to send the wraiths fleeing as the enemy Sad

"There is only one way out of hell, thats through it" -- General Patton

"Just because a mage wears the Black Robes, does not make him evil." -- Raislin Magere

"Evil Turns upon it self" -- Paladine
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: