April 24, 2024, 05:52:07 AM

Username
Password

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Which are the real Black Grail Knights?  (Read 19741 times)
Jeronimo
Night Goblin Shaman

View Profile
« on: March 29, 2010, 10:20:38 PM »

I have this doubt, so I asked Olly and he recommended me to post about this.

Checking with Editor, the BGK in singleplayer has "cause terror", meanwhile in multiplayer has "cause fear".

Which is the real feature for them (all others attributes are ok, even with Leadership Check in both BGK versions).

I have 2 theories:
If real is "cause terror", they put them "cause fear" to make them less powerful in multiplayer battles.
If real is "cause fear", they put them "cause terror" to make them  more powerful in campaign mission.

I need the knowledge of the TT players of this game. What does editions say about BGK? Thank you.
Flak
Super Moderator

Jake Nielsen

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2010, 10:53:18 PM »

I know that the Black Grails in singleplayer has 14 shields of armor aswell aspose to max 5 in multiplayer

"There is only one way out of hell, thats through it" -- General Patton

"Just because a mage wears the Black Robes, does not make him evil." -- Raislin Magere

"Evil Turns upon it self" -- Paladine
Darkmancer
Developer

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2010, 11:09:19 PM »

I know that the Black Grails in singleplayer has 14 shields of armor aswell aspose to max 5 in multiplayer

Really? shouldn't that make them undestroyable?

google brings up the sixth edition form:
http://webspace.webring.com/people/du/um_8136/whfb6/black-grail-knights.html

Cry woe, destruction, ruin, and decay:
The worst is death, and death will have his day.

[23:04:33] <*Ghabry> The internal design of Darkmancer is just strange
Jeronimo
Night Goblin Shaman

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2010, 11:15:02 PM »

Yes, I already knew about 14 shields... but it matters to me if has "cause fear or terror" in the real warhammer top games.
Mr Shadow
Orc Boy

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2010, 11:28:24 PM »

As far as I am aware the Black Grail Knights hasn't been an official Warhammer unit for a long time, if it ever was!
Someone with a deeper knowledge of Warhammer lore please correct me  Tongue

The link that you have posted Darkmancer, while a rather interesting rule set, seems Fan-made to me.
The thing is; the application of Terror vs. Fear seem to be very different in Dark Omen than in the tabletop game,
and rightly so perhaps, cause Terror in Warhammer is very potent indeed.

I'm not sure what to say, but I think Fear is more than enough in multiplayer for a unit that's already much too powerful.

/Mr Shadow

”Die Uhr geht vorwärts und sagt Tick-Tack, Rommel geht rückwärts und sagt Taktik”
Jeronimo
Night Goblin Shaman

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2010, 12:05:10 AM »

I just want the truth man. Perhaps Mikademus knows... causes "fear or terror" in TT games?

@Mr. Shadow: Beyond the multiplayer performance, I only want to clear out this doubt Smiley
alavet
Orc Shaman

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2010, 12:53:52 PM »

absolutely didnt knew grails jsut cause fear at multiplayer.

as far as i udnerstand "cause terror" performs additional moral check every round, but fear only does this for the first atatcking round.

if thats true  i really amazed how actually strong BGK so they push enemies so hard that flee that much! Smiley

Battle not with monsters, lest ye become a monster, and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.
Grend
2D Sprite Artist

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2010, 04:31:35 PM »

Its probably fear I think. Ive never heard of a unit with more than one model that causes terror in the TT, without some magic item of some sort. This may have been different in earlier editions though.

Besides I find it to be beside the point as in multiplayer, balance should take presidence over factual accuracy in my opinion.

On vacation
Mikademus
Developer

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2010, 07:38:56 PM »

I think there might a slight confusion of terminology here. First of all, the army lists generally lists "black knights", which are not a rare unit for the Vampire Counts, and are not the same as Black GRAIL Knights. Black Knights are the undead hoard's normal heavy knight follow the generic undead rules, which means that they cause fear, and only fear.

The Black Grail Knights are not listed in any of my normal army lists (2nd, 3rd, 4th, 6th or 7th). They may have been listed in a number of White Dwarf, but that I don't know. Apparently, they're a group of Bretonian Grail Knights of the highest order that by some means were twisted into their antithesis and exude an almost irresistible fear. That is, they cause terror. The 7th ed undead lists have "Blood Knights", which are heavy knights turned into vampires and to darkness. These are super-powerful, but still not as mighty as the BGK and do not cause terror.

There are internet resources that place them in the 6th ed (f.i. http://webspace.webring.com/people/du/um_8136/whfb6/black-grail-knights.html and http://www.theoldsage.com/whfb6/black-grail-knights.html - same data) where they are simply reanimated Grail Knights, and only cause fear. This appears to reflect them having been normalised into the standard lists.

Normally in the WH rules only huge units, some character models and some engines of war cause terror. However, there is nothing in the rules against that a regiment could cause terror.

In the game they're intended to be truly fearsome beings that are capable of meeting an entire army by themselves. As such, they should be terror-inspiring. However, in being hugely powerful AND a regiment, they'd simply be too overwhelming in a MP fight as terrifying. We can probably consider MP Black Grail Knights to simply be "normal" reanimated grail knights (== fearsome), while the in-game ones are THE Black Grails, the original, twisted daemonic evil badass mounted tanks of sheer vileness they are (== terrifying).

olly
Global Spokesperson

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2010, 08:02:08 PM »

Wicked!

Smiley

and back in Nuln, the ageing Graf Berhardt smiled his secret smile of pride whenever he heard the latest tales of his eldest son's ever growing chain of glorious victories -(sothr manual)
Mikademus
Developer

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2010, 08:04:03 PM »

It even appears that the Black Grail Knights might be the invention of (or first introduced in) Dark Omen

http://www.dakkadakka.com/dakkaforum/posts/list/205698.page#214705

lordbraprus
Crossbowman

wiiiii

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: October 04, 2010, 07:01:36 AM »

i know this is quite old :$ but have you considerated that black grial, are in some point , reanimated  bretonian knights Smiley and the blood dragon of vampire counts, are reanimaed bretonian knights Wink and, cause fear + panic test is enought. Shocked

ito maquiesves
Mikademus
Developer

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 04, 2010, 07:25:32 PM »

To "Lordbraprus"
Subject "Request for clarification"
Message "I have no idea what you are saying or asking there..."

alavet
Orc Shaman

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 04, 2010, 08:08:44 PM »

To "Lordbraprus"
Subject "Request for clarification"
Message "I have no idea what you are saying or asking there..."

lol, exactly my thought process

Battle not with monsters, lest ye become a monster, and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.
lordbraprus
Crossbowman

wiiiii

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: October 09, 2010, 04:42:55 PM »

you both hurt my feelings.

i trying to say that black grials are blood dragon, in thevampire counts 7th edition of warhamer, because blood dragon are ex-dead bretonian knights, and the black grial are that too, dead bretonian knights, in this case, the grial knights :S

Alavet, i thought you loved me,  now i see you are cheating me with mika..

Mika , i was going to cheat alavet with you , but i see it is too late.

PS:  maybe a 3some can fix any love triangle problems between us ?

ito maquiesves
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
Print
Jump to: