March 28, 2024, 05:23:43 PM

Username
Password

Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Trolls and Magic Protection  (Read 7472 times)
cuthalion
Campaign Creator

View Profile
« on: March 01, 2012, 07:31:28 PM »

I was playing around with my hex editor, and was wondering what parameter gives Trolls resi-magic.

It's not Unit Type as they have 'Monster' along with many others.

I thought it would have been logical if it were Troll Armor. I searched through this forum and found 1 post where it was seemingly true. Didn't find more. But my units with Troll Armor ate 10 fireballs in a row w/o any resistance.

I set flag 'regeneration' to my units and they started resist magic.
Am I right that it is 'regeneration' flag that gives units resi-magic? I don't want a unit from my campaign army set to regenerate even though I'd give them resi magic.
Ghabry
Developer

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2012, 08:01:06 PM »

Instead of a hex editor you can also use an army editor like Wh32Edit.

I just made a test and... you are right. The regeneration flag actually gives immunity against magic. So this flag is actually labeled wrong, excellent find. Now I wonder if "regeneration" also regenerates the unit or if the regeneration is caused by the troll armor.
The immunity against magic is not for 100% btw, sometimes a magic attack can still hit the unit. For complete invulnerability against magic you have to set the "Impervious to Magic"-Flag.

Darkmancer
Developer

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2012, 03:57:00 AM »

I seem to rerember the "regeneration" in the thrid edition worked by basically rolling a dice and 1-3 miss and 4-6 hit there's no adding of wounds.  It basically is a form of armour.

Cry woe, destruction, ruin, and decay:
The worst is death, and death will have his day.

[23:04:33] <*Ghabry> The internal design of Darkmancer is just strange
cuthalion
Campaign Creator

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2012, 07:14:16 AM »

cuthalion
Campaign Creator

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2012, 07:27:19 AM »

Instead of a hex editor you can also use an army editor like Wh32Edit.

I just made a test and... you are right. The regeneration flag actually gives immunity against magic. So this flag is actually labeled wrong, excellent find. Now I wonder if "regeneration" also regenerates the unit or if the regeneration is caused by the troll armor.
The immunity against magic is not for 100% btw, sometimes a magic attack can still hit the unit. For complete invulnerability against magic you have to set the "Impervious to Magic"-Flag.

I seem to rerember the "regeneration" in the thrid edition worked by basically rolling a dice and 1-3 miss and 4-6 hit there's no adding of wounds.  It basically is a form of armour.

Thank you for quick replies.

1. Yes I downloaded this tool and it looks handy. I've been using it for a couple of days, just habitually wrote 'Hex Editor'.
The only thing that wasn't handy is it's database wasn't compatible with Heads Patch: the values in the patch were hex while the editor required decimal ones.
And a built-in Sprite Viewer would have been cool Smiley especially the one that would display the whole unit.

2. OK so I will use that flag called 'regeneration' for 3/6 protection vs magic. Immune to magic seems a bit too strong and thus uninteresting. And Troll Armor gives regeneration of wounds then? Perfect to know.

On a side note, I wonder what Treant Armor gives.
Darkmancer
Developer

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2012, 02:29:32 PM »

I presume you mean treeman armour.  Its likely to be 2x damage from fire.

.--. .-.. . .- ... . / -.. --- -. - / ..- ... . / -- --- .-. ... . / -.-. --- -.. .

cuthalion
Campaign Creator

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2012, 03:41:56 PM »

I presume you mean treeman armour.  Its likely to be 2x damage from fire.

.--. .-.. . .- ... . / -.. --- -. - / ..- ... . / -- --- .-. ... . / -.-. --- -.. .

Not Much Cheesy
Though there is 'flammable' flag which could mean the same.
Darkmancer
Developer

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2012, 07:35:26 PM »

Ya I forgot mummies burn too so it'll have to be a tag.

I think the treeman armour will remain a mystery.

olly
Global Spokesperson

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2012, 09:30:45 PM »

Treeman
Woody Skin
Treeman have thick bark which gives an unmodified special save of 5+ against each wound suffered.

Fire
Treeman burn easily because of their dry, woody skin. A Treeman hit by a flaming weapon or a fiery magic spell will take double wounds, so for every wound suffered the Treeman sustains 2 wounds.

Warhammer Armies Wood Elves 1996

Warhammer Rule Books

Smiley

ps. Some of the other Unknown Tags in Wh32Edit are Always Persue is the 3rd Unknown and Flee if Charged is actually Never Rally

http://forum.dark-omen.org/troops/5-unknown-psychology-attributes-t512.0.html;msg4229#msg4229

Wink
« Last Edit: March 04, 2012, 01:50:42 AM by olly » Logged

and back in Nuln, the ageing Graf Berhardt smiled his secret smile of pride whenever he heard the latest tales of his eldest son's ever growing chain of glorious victories -(sothr manual)
Ghabry
Developer

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2012, 10:24:13 PM »

A bit off topic:

The attributes (for Movement to Leadership) are exactly the same in Dark Omen btw. Didn't knew this. Are the other dark omen units also mapped to specific units in the rulebooks (together with their attributes)?

ps. Some of the other Unknown Tags in Wh32Edit are Always Persue is the 3rd Unknown and Flee if Charged is actually Never Rally

You are talking about the old version of Wh32Edit. The newer already take care about this Smiley

olly
Global Spokesperson

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2012, 11:56:09 PM »

yep every stat/attribute for each character in Dark Omen and Shadow of the Horned Rat, were directly taken from the 4th/5th Warhammer Table Top Rulebooks. However, the game engines don't fully represent every rule but the books provide the perfect insight, into how the game may handle magic and combat etc based on the Rulebooks. I think Lord Brapus and Grend will use thier excellent Dark Omen Expanded 2 sprites and give them stats/attributes based on the latest Warhammer 8th Rulesets one day, which I will look forward to. You may recall i sent Mikademus every warhammer book, as I think WARTBED was aiming to incorporate every rule and characters one day. So anytime anyone needs me to check a stat or rule that Dark Omen may use, please let me know as I love to read them and post the inspiring pictures and knowledge, contained within.

Warhammer Rule Books

Smiley
« Last Edit: March 04, 2012, 12:27:49 AM by olly » Logged

and back in Nuln, the ageing Graf Berhardt smiled his secret smile of pride whenever he heard the latest tales of his eldest son's ever growing chain of glorious victories -(sothr manual)
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: