March 29, 2024, 09:28:12 AM

Username
Password

Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Mage Flag  (Read 9257 times)
cuthalion
Campaign Creator

View Profile
« on: March 14, 2012, 08:20:34 AM »

Wh32 suggests that there are 4 types of mages: base mage, orc adept, adept mage, master mage.

I thought it was something independant of mage level, like you can set 'master mage' to a level 1 mage and he will have extra spells in his arsenal. But it doesn't work the way I thought it would.

Could anyone explain what this flag is actually about? Thanks.
Ghabry
Developer

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2012, 10:06:06 AM »

I actually only copied the mage types from the old unit editor (Wh2Edit) without really thinking about the values.
So I don't know about the use of these types. Maybe the Warhammer Rulebook can help (olly?).

The only difference I know is that the ice magic book gives one extra spell but this is unrelated to the mage type.

cuthalion
Campaign Creator

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2012, 11:25:32 AM »

The only difference I know is that the ice magic book gives one extra spell but this is unrelated to the mage type.

Right, and Ice Mage ignores Book of Ashur so this extra spell is like having the permanent book for him.

My concern is that Orc Mage is pretty weak on lvl1 and is having very hard time earning exp: His basic damage spell is crap, he doesn't get any exp from using 'here we go' and if even he's given the blast, it's way weaker than say fire mage blast, not mentioning such spells as burning head that lvl1 bright mage is having alright.
As for Ice Mage, he's got 1 extra spell from the very beginning so it's not a problem to raise him to level2: his damage spells are alright.

So I'd like Orc Mage to have more spells but don't want to set a level 2 mage from the very first mission in my campaign.
Giving him Staff of Osiris is a bit overpowered in my eyes, and there remains only a little of orc mage but most damage is done by the staff.
Darkmancer
Developer

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2012, 03:06:31 PM »

I messed around with the mage types quite a bit and as far as I can tell it does nothing and is an unimplemented feature.  

To level up your mage you need something ranged so, Banner of Wrath - Maybe a bit Op, Grudgebringer Sword - A free fire ball every round.  The other possibility would be to give the mage a bow/crossbow/pistol and a decent balistic skill (4/5 ish) or a cannon and a low b/s (2).  I'm not sure if this would crash the game or not, due to lack of a firing animation, but I seem to rerember it will simply use the casting animation instead.

Cry woe, destruction, ruin, and decay:
The worst is death, and death will have his day.

[23:04:33] <*Ghabry> The internal design of Darkmancer is just strange
cuthalion
Campaign Creator

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2012, 04:04:45 PM »

I see
Darkmancer
Developer

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2012, 05:37:56 PM »

Or you could just give him the magic book early, it'll work out useless later on, but you might get access to some better spells earlier on.

cuthalion
Campaign Creator

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2012, 06:58:49 PM »

Yes I have already made up my mind to provide him with the Book from the first level. It should work out well.
Also I liked the idea to give him a crossbow or something Smiley
cuthalion
Campaign Creator

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2012, 12:30:39 PM »

The mage won't shoot Sad

I can make him shoot by setting unit type to 'human archers'. But then he won't stop and spend time on casting spells.
So one has to choose between multi-functional casting-shooting non-stop machine and beautiful pics of a mage casting a spell Smiley
« Last Edit: March 15, 2012, 03:22:31 PM by cuthalion » Logged
kilowic
Mummy

Iron Fist

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2012, 07:13:48 PM »

Try to give him hand cannon Cheesy

My GameRanger info:
ID: 1713251
kilowic

I PLAY FAIR OMEN MOD
Darkmancer
Developer

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2012, 07:54:40 PM »

Grend got his choas dwarfs to play the casting animation when firing in his dark omen expanded mod.  Dunno how thou.

olly
Global Spokesperson

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2012, 01:56:02 AM »

I think Grend's Dwarf Blunderblussiers use the Vampire sprite and although they are Pistoliers, the game engine automatically assigns it the purple casting animation when they fire. Similar to how the engine will assign the screaming skull catapult to animate its stationary flames by flicking between 2 frames. (Sprite Header ID)

http://forum.dark-omen.org/2d-sprites/idle-sprite-animations-t673.0.html

Not 100% sure though, will have to confirm. (and examine using Hex Editor)

Smiley

« Last Edit: March 16, 2012, 02:07:27 AM by olly » Logged

and back in Nuln, the ageing Graf Berhardt smiled his secret smile of pride whenever he heard the latest tales of his eldest son's ever growing chain of glorious victories -(sothr manual)
cuthalion
Campaign Creator

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 16, 2012, 06:18:25 AM »

Grend got his choas dwarfs to play the casting animation when firing in his dark omen expanded mod.  Dunno how thou.

Yes, yesterday I made my mage shoot bolts, and he automatically used his casting animation for that (1st of 2 sprites).
What I was talking about is for it I had to set his unit type to human archers - otherwise he refused to shoot at all.
After it was done, he stopped using his casting animation for casting itself Smiley He could just walk and blast at the same time as if all his spells were just magic artifacts. And I didn't like that.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: