March 28, 2024, 03:42:39 PM

Username
Password

Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: idea for new army: Dwarves.  (Read 6442 times)
armoured-lemming
Orc Boy

View Profile
« on: February 15, 2009, 06:35:20 PM »

It strikes me that alot of players of the game would like to see some new factions within the dark omen game.
now going all out and making a lizzard or chaos army from scratch maybe a little ambishious, so prohappes somthing thats already within the game, at least the a certain exstent, the dwarves!
below is an army list of how i would go about setting up the stats, special rules, and maybe even colours and images of the sprites for the army, also take note that not all the regiments withing the warhammer game will be included in the list, at least not yet, i want to get the basics down first then we can add the finky stuff as we go!

note: with no cavalry or wizzards in the dwarf army, standing alone the dwarves are very much a defensive army as suits there personality, though they certainly are not above hiring cavalry or even wizzards into there army.
note: these rules where taken from the latest edition of the warhammer rule book, and as such maybe somewhat unbalanced compared to the DO series that was set in the 3rd edition, hopefully the stats in the 5th edition wint be to much different.
note: all dwarf units hate all greenskins, and so are less likely to flee when fighting them in melee combat, as you may all have guessed!
Note: some rules have been tweeked for simplicity of programming.

Warriors:
M3  WS4  BS3  S3  T4  W1  I2  A1  LD9
armour: 2/3 heavy armour (Shield)
weapons: Standard Axes.
sprites: the standard Dwarf Warrior sprits are perfect.

Quarrelliers:
M3  WS4  BS3  S3  T4  W1  I2  A1  LD9
armour: 1/2 light armour (shield)
Weapons: Crossbow, Standard Axes.
sprites: Standard dwarf Warrior sprites for the maon body, but similar firing animation to the mercenary crossbowmen, mained the arms? +crossbow shot sound.

Thunderers:
M3 WS4 BS3(4) S3 T4 W1 I2 A1 LD9
Armour: 1/2 light armour (shield)
Weapons: Dwarven Handgun, Standard axes.
rules: Dwarven Handgun: 24'' range, S4, +1BS
Sprites: Standard dwarf Warrior sprites for the maon body, but similar firing animation to the mercenary pistoliers, mained the arms? +pistol shot sound.

Cannon:
crew:    M3 WS4 BS4 S3 T4 W1 I2 A1 LD9
cannon:                       T7 W3
Armour: 1 light armour      note: for easier programing the standard cannon will suffice i suppose, 1/3
Weapons: Standard axes.
Rules: Gunners Pride: unbreakable.
Sprites: cannon crew is replaces with dwarfen warrior sprites, thats about it.

Grudge Thrower
crew:    M3 WS4 BS4 S3 T4 W1 I2 A1 LD9
cannon:                       T7 W3
Armour: 1 light armour      note: for easier programing the standard cannon will suffice i suppose, 1/3
Weapons: Standard axes.
Rules: Gunners Pride: unbreakable.
Sprites: Rock Lobba crew is replaces with dwarfen warrior sprites, thats about it, i didnt pick the mortar cannon sprite as the grudge thrower is a catapult but is basicly the same finction.

Slayers
M3 WS4 BS4 S3(4) T4 W1 I2 A1(2) LD10
Armour: N/A
Weapons: Slayer axes.
Rules:Slayer axes: duel wielding, +1 attack   note: i though the real rule for these weapons would be a little to complex to make into the game, so went for +1 attack for simplicity, in reality befort entering combat the unit can chose what axes they use, either duel wield 2 axes for +1 attack, or use a 2h axe for +1 strength.
slayer:+1 strength        note: again another complex rule, in the real game slayers get strength bonuses for fighting tougher opponents, there strength will match there opponents toughness up to the max of 6 strength, since this would be harder to program i went for a basic +stat instead.
Sprites: similar to dwarf warriors, a little 'thinner' to resemble them having no armour, bright orange beards, there shield arm replaces with another axe holding one, maybe mohawks to be added too to complete the slayer look?

comming soon:
hammerers
daemon slayer
dragon slayer
bolt thrower
miners
ironbreakers
organ gun
flame cannon
gyrocopter
josef bugman

hope you all enjoyed my lil ramblings, cya all soon on the battlefield!

'its cheap, cowardly, and boardline rule breaking... but i like it!'
Kypper
Mummy

Bones and bones and bones ripping your flesh !

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2009, 11:29:14 PM »

Uh... You should play Shadow of the Horned Rat... There are some dwarfs regiments.

See you, space scorpion !
Mikademus
Developer

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2009, 11:38:14 PM »

Excellent starting list! And good notion to re-use as much as possible of the existing sprites. For that, also speak with Olly and Rob about re-using what's in SotHR.

armoured-lemming
Orc Boy

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2009, 01:28:31 AM »

sadly i never got to far into Shadow of the horned rat, only even got to play the playstation version, which had rather sticky controls, and low unit AI, plus the whole limited unit perchase between battles was very brutal...
usualluy never got far at all into the game as the diffeculty curv was harder then then those of dark omen, and stedily got harder and harder...

also i forgot to mention in that list that the slayers are unbreakable much like the flagellents. ^^ my bad.

'its cheap, cowardly, and boardline rule breaking... but i like it!'
Lythandar
Giant Scorpion

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2009, 03:09:29 AM »

sorry if this is off topic but is it possible to make all the armies of Warhammer, if you spend the time making the sprites? and if so how do I make sprites I think this could be a great project
bembelimen
Crossbowman

Who am I and how many?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2009, 05:47:00 PM »

in theory it's possible to create every army you want, if you have the sprites for it. But in fact we have only 3 races, so you have perhaps shuffle them if you wanna make a new race. The same with weapons, it's (afaik) not possible to create new weapons, you could add them with the sprites, but if you will give a axe to a dwarf and draw a large labrys the weapon itself will be the normal axe. So you have for example adjust the skills of the dwarf or use other tricks.

"Sir we are surrounded!!!" "Excellent, then we can attack in any direction."
Lythandar
Giant Scorpion

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2009, 01:44:37 AM »

Can you add units to an army? like have more units than what they have set, not the max 10/12 that the give for the roster but of available units, could you add more into there, just thinking instead of having humans orcs and undead have humans dwarfs(its dwarfs in warhammer dunno why) and elves (wood and high) and then greenskins lizardmen and skaven (maybe even beastmen) and then undead chaos and darkelves?

of course with skaven you want more than 32 per unit because they swarm but yeah just trying to expand the game any way i can
Mikademus
Developer

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2009, 01:00:46 PM »

Yes, adding units to an existing regiment is very easy using the army editors (WH2EDIT and Wh32Edit). In fact, in the next army patch we're planning to add a few size variations to the army lists (f.i. small and cheap cavalry units to be used as detachments and harriers).

bembelimen
Crossbowman

Who am I and how many?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2009, 06:10:10 PM »

click me

"Sir we are surrounded!!!" "Excellent, then we can attack in any direction."
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: