March 28, 2024, 11:34:20 PM

Username
Password

Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: DO: sprite format for different unit types  (Read 2748 times)
cuthalion
Campaign Creator

View Profile
« on: April 20, 2015, 09:29:40 PM »

as far as I remember there was a strict set of rules for different unit type sprites.
Infantry should have format 3-3-5 or 3-3-3 (charge, regular move, fighting).
Cavalry should have 5-4-3. And whether a unit is a cavalry or not was defined not by 'unit type' but by armor type of that unit. if it had 'mounted armor' then it should have 5-4-3 sprite format and therefore sprites for it should have substituted one of existing cavalry models - gladly, there are quite an amount of extra cavalry slots: Carlson, Knights of the Realm, Grail Knights, special sprite for Morgan Bernhardt etc etc.
If a unit type was 'cavalry' but armor was not 'mounted armor', it should have behaved like a regular infantry sprite-wise, using 3-3-3 format. I used that for goblin wolfriders. Not sure whether or not wolfriders kept cavalry type bonus or not.

So the question:
There is a new solution that I heard of but not used or figured out how to use myself yet. Are all those new sprite slots fully editable? Can I define myself whether I want a slot to be archer, infantry, cavalry wizard or monster one? or chariot?
And is 5-4-3 format still a must for cavalry even though I may use a new slot instead of overwriting existing one?
aqrit
Developer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2015, 06:50:37 AM »

One can select
Archer, infantry, cavalry, wizard, etc.
but can't currently edit the fine attributes of those built-in types.

or to say it a slightly different way:

The table that (I assume) contains the number of frames for a unit is not currently editable/extendable.
Instead one would specify an index into that table to use an already existing unit/animation type.
The existing types are listed in mattressses' post here

cuthalion
Campaign Creator

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2015, 08:29:17 AM »

I see. Well it is more than enough as it is now Smiley
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: