April 16, 2024, 09:23:40 AM

Username
Password

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Tournament September 2010  (Read 36105 times)
Wkurwiony
Skeleton Warrior

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: October 04, 2010, 10:11:33 AM »

alavet you just didnt give it a try, there were varied armybuilts but i can only say that after playing 3 other people as other 4 didnt played as planned ;/

Darkmancer
Developer

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: October 04, 2010, 08:49:03 PM »

I’m surprised at Alavets comments most the army builds were very different.  True you everyone will use a range of gobos, orcs,and creatures, as the mods designed to encourages that, but the ratios and the precise units used were very different.

Before the tourney I played Olly around 20 games or so without issue, i suspect it’s because were both in the UK, if the players are separated by the Atlantic lag becomes more of an issue and its unfortunately quite easy to get DO to crash.  I’ll try pesting Alavet,  Jeroimo, or someone else who had issues when I do my next round of play testing.

Unfortunately the mod does have a bit of a learning curve, but it only takes 3 or 4 games to get over it.  Probably 6/7/8 if you’re inexperienced with DO multi.  It’s one of my regrets that I can’t do much about TBH.   I’ve tried to make the game different to regular DO this means a learning curve is inevitable TBH 

It is hard controlling 15 units, hell it’s impossible to control 15 units fully, but with all the Greenskins having move 5 it’s easy to quickly move units around, they’ve all got reasonable leadership, so when they break they tend to reform.  A lot about Greenskins being so powerful a side is recycling units into battle the enemy defeats one unit you’ve another to hand to pile in or shoot.  Usually vs undead during deployment I click flags past the undead forces and usually 1 or 2 get though the “wall” for me to attack hellgates.  – The spider will return but I need to get stability – crashes are the most off putting thing.

Undead – Jero complained about zombies creating a wall, tbh thats like complaining archers fire arrows at you, that was much the point  .  I’m going to have to reduce the number of regiments with raise the dead, its a bad spell for increasing the number of thing DO has to keep track of.  I’m not sure yet wether to have “officer” units to create more undead, or keep it to poor “wall” units so when the enemy knocks out a poor unit he also removes a raised unit.  I’ve reduced ldrship so they should collapse quicker.

Empire
“1) Empire Legionaries should cost less than Musketeers. At same price I prefer Ranged Units.”
That’s a person legionnaires are braver and with 2 attacks designed to romp though multi-wound enemies (orcs/zombies), I had to remove their wight blade because they did they’re job a bit too well .  Ranged units are going to get a slight nerf anyway to reduce strain on the poor engine.

The 2 knights units look similar but they are different.  Black Knights can break (i’ve seen them break surprisingly often when outnumbered), but the hell blade allowes them to rapidly cut though zombies with ease, then when needed the POS allows them to kill boss units easier.  Grails last longer, will not break, and t7 makes them immune to arrow attacks.  -  They’re not poles apart but they’re alot more different than most cavalry units in other mods.

Anecdotes:
Most times wights perfomed as expected, thou on 2 occasions when they charged knights they romped though the knights, they are designed to do damage but damn.

I’m surprised at the steam tank/scorp battles, they should be both quite capable doing damage to one another, maybe they’re getting stuck not being able to attack the other? (sometimes happens), i think they’ll both be slightly reduced in toughness and made cheap to try & prevent in future.

Spell Eater on the hellgate is not 100% WK destroyed one of his towers in the 2nd? Shot in one game – hahahahahaha, normally though hellgates will cope with 7->10 shots but will not last forever.  Which I  quite like actually.

Cry woe, destruction, ruin, and decay:
The worst is death, and death will have his day.

[23:04:33] <*Ghabry> The internal design of Darkmancer is just strange
Wkurwiony
Skeleton Warrior

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: October 04, 2010, 10:40:09 PM »

about that tank Darkmancer, i re-watched vids and it seems it might be due to Jeronimo using that cloak spell that tank have, he only used that spell when he was with last tank, so this might be, maybe after hour or two something would die Wink
Darkmancer
Developer

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: October 05, 2010, 12:14:43 AM »

Well the cloak spell is not 100% besides i assume you used the hellfire sword?  Every use of the sword will disable the cloak untill he recasts.  I'm not nerfing the Tank & scorp massivly but enough to stop them lasting forever.  i assume the lighting sword & banner were bugged?  The lighting should have fried your scorp within 2 or 3 rounds.  That should be fixed by reducing the mod complexity a bit.

For some reason Jero seems particulally vunerable to the "Wizard" bug, I dunno if its his connection or computer setup or what.  I think with BP pushing DO so hard is making the problem worse thou.  I wonder if he lowers his detail setting i might be better?  Anyway we'll see I'll try and catch him online sometime and test the changes.

On a side note I could do with some fairly simple sprite work if anybodies interested?  i'm also still after a mid/high level undead regiment to compete with wights, if anyone has any ideas?  PM me.

Wkurwiony
Skeleton Warrior

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: October 05, 2010, 09:37:27 AM »

i kept goblins in back casting mork save uz on scorps ;] and yeah i also used sword (you'll see when i upload vids)

as for undead, whats up with the idea of 3xHOW in a unit ^^ and as for new regiment, maybe something slow very slow M2 perhaps, but very tough and with average melee skill and with some close ranged magic
lordbraprus
Crossbowman

wiiiii

View Profile WWW
« Reply #65 on: October 05, 2010, 08:19:26 PM »

now i remeber, there was a little "situation" with the streng potions activations in gohuls, the first potion can b activated fine but not the second :S i think that alavet had the same problem there :S

ito maquiesves
Darkmancer
Developer

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: October 05, 2010, 08:49:46 PM »

Thats how its intended (and the only way it can be tbh).  BTW for ghouls try getting the chage and hitting the boost button, that'' add +2 strength with the POS giving another 2 str that'll give you 3 x str 4 attacks.

Jeronimo
Night Goblin Shaman

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: October 06, 2010, 03:14:24 AM »

1) Your Ghouls purpose fails: In such big battles the last thing I would do is to boost a small regiment of crappy creatures. Reconsider giving them +S again, as regular regiments.  (Stop with the over-twisted ideas)

2) I agree with Wku about more regiments with HoW, indeed will make fights much more KABOOM, you know.

3) Dont abuse with anti-magic/arrows properties: Too much is ruining the tactical game.  (Restrain yourself)

4) I correct you about my thoughts concerning to "Raise the Dead" abuse: You arent raising Zombies, they are Skeleton Warriors, with enough time and neverending magic points, they will weaken enemy regiments over time.
Not just a Wall, they do DAMAGE, and you see it over time.

Do you want Zombies? Remove Skeleton Flag and unbreakable NOW.
"Imm to fear + Cause fear + Destroyed if routed" with L5 as true Zombies.
Concerning to Nº of units: 50% of Total Original Zombies to purchase (these +Unbreakable).
« Last Edit: October 06, 2010, 03:27:06 AM by Jeronimo » Logged
Jim
Developer

Goblin Jim, Commander of Greenskins

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: October 06, 2010, 03:03:17 PM »

Where are the videos, guys?  Undecided

My GameRanger ID: 2332541
Online Map shuffler
Darkmancer
Developer

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: October 06, 2010, 07:39:59 PM »

1) Ghouls are fine - even if you dont get the charge and dont boost them and just activate POS, they are still good troops for the money, but if you devote a bit of time to them the excell. Tactics are about making choices, including what you use and were in the battle you concentrate, if you choose not to use ghouls fine.  (Ever consider holding them back till later in the battle?), the point about being able to get str4 is that it allows them to some serious damage to high end units.

2) Yep there will likely be more HOW but im not overdoing it.  HOW is not really a tactic, it just funny Smiley  Chariot will get at least 1.

3)  I'm not, actually few units have those properties, its just that they are important units when facing stuff like biguns.  Don't just rush put the units you need to in the right places.

4)  Sorry i thought you were on about bought not raised regiments, re the dead - Yep thats the point, i dont want the situation players automatically lose if the 2 or 3 top units die off.  The dead as I call them ("raise the dead" Smiley  )  are rubbish, no toughness or armour, low leadership, the one thing the do succeed at is holding they're groud, they are fully capable of doing damage to even the toughest of units, a good undead player will use them to pin the enemies top units and give room to operate wights and the GOW/VD.  I will make them less numerous thou, and have fewer regiments raised.  But you will have to cope with the enemy player pining some of your units.  PS they are only skeleton warriors cuz I suck at drawing Wink

The mechanics of DO encourage problems with having really powerful units basically removing the need for normal/cheaper units, Greenskins being awful, nobody buying zombies, BGK's dominating battles, wights not being used without BOD, for example.  Destroyed if routed makes the problem worse.   I will look at removing fear from some regiments to reduce their effectiveness against core units, (probobly wights, zombies, mummies, & the dead)  .
« Last Edit: October 06, 2010, 08:36:55 PM by Darkmancer » Logged

Wkurwiony
Skeleton Warrior

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: October 07, 2010, 07:47:17 PM »

Olly:

DO BP vs Olly 1DQ | by Aeva

DO BP vs Olly 2DQ | by Aeva

DO BP vs Olly 3 (crashed)DQ | by Aeva

Jeronimo:

DO BP vs Jeronimo 1DQ | by Aeva

DO BP vs Jeronimo 2 (both side quit)DQ | by Aeva

DO BP vs Jeronimo 3DQ | by Aeva

Ghabry:

DO BP vs Ghabry 1 (crash)DQ | by Aeva

Darkmancer:

DO BP vs Darkmancer 1DQ | by Aeva

DO BP vs Darkmancer 2DQ | by Aeva

DO BP vs Darkmancer 3 (crashed)DQ | by Aeva

i didnt recorded our full battle were i lost so i upload one of those that crashed

oh and Darkmancer about chariot, you could make 2 versions of it, one normal, and one "suicide" unit with 3 HOW :] and enemy wouldnt know which one is it Smiley
olly
Global Spokesperson

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: October 11, 2010, 12:25:39 AM »

Great Mod and Army Builder!

My Scorpion fought well against Darkmancer

and My Grail Knights stood fast against Jeronimo

and Wkurwiony's Undead.

Smiley

and back in Nuln, the ageing Graf Berhardt smiled his secret smile of pride whenever he heard the latest tales of his eldest son's ever growing chain of glorious victories -(sothr manual)
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: