March 29, 2024, 03:39:00 PM

Username
Password

Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Unit editor flag  (Read 7535 times)
WarpGhost
Ghoul

View Profile WWW
« on: April 13, 2009, 10:15:30 PM »

More correctly this flag means that a unit taking a single casualty will have to take a Panic check, exactly as if they'd suffered many shooting casualties in one go or have been charged in the flank/rear.

Death is its own reward, but so is chocolate
Mikademus
Developer

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2009, 11:35:10 PM »

Thank you! This is good information, keep it coming!
* Mikademus goes to edit source code

Ghabry
Developer

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2009, 11:40:31 PM »

Editing the frame.xrc should be enough mikademus Wink

Edit:
According to the wiki Chariots and Hand of Nagash also have this

Mikademus
Developer

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2009, 11:41:37 PM »

Editing the frame.xrc should be enough mikademus Wink

Not in the ARM parser. Which you're making, come to think of it...
* Mikademus sends Ghabry to edit the source code

WarpGhost
Ghoul

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2009, 02:15:34 AM »

Edit:
According to the wiki Chariots and Hand of Nagash also have this
That would make sense as there appears to be no Impact Hits mechanic in DO (or at least none that shows up in the unit editor); without that, you would need something like this to make them useful.

Mikademus
Developer

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2009, 02:32:12 AM »

More correctly this flag means that a unit taking a single casualty will have to take a Panic check, exactly as if they'd suffered many shooting casualties in one go or have been charged in the flank/rear.

Btw, your post was a little unclear, you mean that a unit with this flag set will cause the target it charges to rout if it inflicts at least one casualty?

WarpGhost
Ghoul

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2009, 02:45:26 AM »

No, it causes a Leadership check, which if failed will make them rout (called a Panic test). And in the catapaults case, its caused by its shooting (maybe even melee by the crew, I dont know).

Mikademus
Developer

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2009, 04:43:34 PM »

Though I have the 3rd Ed, rules I do not have the Tomb Kings army lists, and I haven't been able to located the 3rd ed. Screaming Skull Catapult rules. However, the relevant 7th Ed. rules states

When screaming and flaming skulls land among the enemy it is a very unnerving experience for them! To represent this, any unit that suffers one or more wounds from a shooting attack by a Screaming Skull catapult must take a Panic test.

(which is exactly what you said in the first post). Since this is in fact a special rule for a magic stone thrower war machine apparently used on other troop types (in this case chariots), how does this translate to the Hand of Nagash? There are no special rules in the TK army lists for chariots causing additional panic test, and the only close thing is that chariot causes extra hits in the round they charges.

WarpGhost
Ghoul

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2009, 06:00:37 PM »

Well, looking at the 6th edition rules is of no relevance. And if DO does not present impact hits, then letting them use this pre-existing rule is a simpler way to make them effective. All this Ive already explained. Maybe there were not the mechanics in DO to calculate impact hits, and this was the simplest way to make chariots more imposing. Or maybe they do do impact hits still and they also added this rule to again make them more imposing. Ive no idea what you're trying to get at; the chariots/Hand have this rule and it doesnt matter that they didnt in the old TT rules, because this isnt the TT. I honestly cant remember 4th edition Undead well enough to know if they are accurately represented in DO in the first place. Though its worth remembering that DO doesnt represent cavalry lances/spears at all either, and stuff like that.

EDIT: Correction, impact hits are represented in DO.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2009, 06:49:32 PM by WarpGhost » Logged

Mikademus
Developer

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2009, 08:43:07 PM »

I was speculating about if the attribute affects non-missile troops differently because the remake projects demands as accurate info as possible, but I have difficulties seeing how it could work any other way than you suggested above, that is, that it is simply used to give more oomph to chariots since impact rules probably aren't represented in DO.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: