March 28, 2024, 08:52:26 PM

Username
Password

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Necrominicon  (Read 24639 times)
tovertrut
Mummy

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 11, 2009, 04:44:32 PM »

i miss the polearms bein giantslayer(in mark of chaos +1dmg to mounbted/large and giant creatures)gues in do instead of things doin +1 dmg(like a greatsword or other 2handed weapons do in mark of chaos) here it boosts the units strenth instead,but havent found anything about polearm weapons doing xtra anything against large units Sad
Darkmancer
Developer

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 11, 2009, 06:07:55 PM »

i've wondered about giving halberdiers wright blades.  Strange I know but it would make them less effective vs general units but more effective vs units with morre than 1hp (ie the monsters), i wonder if they'd count as magic weapons ingame vs wraiths, hmmm.

Somethings going on with the flaggelants they seem far more effective than they're (admittedly decent) stats would suggest, I know they have the no rout flag, but the little suckers seem to rip though everything the +2 on charge doesn't seem to cover it.  I'm wondering if there's a bug with flails and the get they're bonus constantly.

@ Mika - it's odd that the 4th edition is considered "herohammer" and yet dark omen doesn't really suffer from hero characters (nearest being the treeman or vampire i suppose), I have to say it's all the better for it too.

Cry woe, destruction, ruin, and decay:
The worst is death, and death will have his day.

[23:04:33] <*Ghabry> The internal design of Darkmancer is just strange
Mikademus
Developer

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 11, 2009, 07:11:46 PM »

5th ed is "Herohammer".

Grend
2D Sprite Artist

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 11, 2009, 11:22:43 PM »

flagellants have 2 attacks as well

On vacation
Darkmancer
Developer

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 14, 2009, 02:35:56 AM »

Still around, necrominicon on pause, working on a unusual way to stop the flicker

TTFN

olly
Global Spokesperson

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 14, 2009, 11:29:57 PM »

Full screen 3d mode i have got working (as you know) but it would be great if someone owns a new Flat screen monitor that has 8ms response times but crucially 100hz Refresh Rate, like this one or any Flat screen that offers good response times and vital 100hz.

http://computing.kelkoo.co.uk/p-computer-monitors-114401/samsung-syncmaster-460p-46-15418285#specs

to test for me Full Screen 3D mode (with nvidia but Radeon i can assist with similar settings if required).

http://forum.dark-omen.org/help-section/dark-omen-in-full-3d-mode-high-res-xp-and-no-flicker-t248.0.html

as Full 3D mode works with my old style CRT monitor and on all my Flat screens, it improves along with a higher refresh rate, such as from 60hz to my bro's 75hz TFT and at work on a 85hz, the flicker improves in a similar fashion(combined with nvidia settings) to my solution on CRT but now requires a new 100hz TFT Flat screen. I often want to pop into my local pc shop to try this sometime by pretending to be interested in purchasing such an expensive monitor and starting Dark Omen up to test. If it works then i guess all of us will eventually end up playing Dark Omen in Full 3D mode, when these newer monitors lower in price, sometime and become the norm/standard.

Smiley

« Last Edit: August 15, 2009, 02:11:53 AM by olly » Logged

and back in Nuln, the ageing Graf Berhardt smiled his secret smile of pride whenever he heard the latest tales of his eldest son's ever growing chain of glorious victories -(sothr manual)
Darkmancer
Developer

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 15, 2009, 01:36:38 AM »

I'm on a flat screen and it looks awful, i'm not keen on forcing my moniter to 100mhz. 

Does dark omen look dull when you force 100MHZ on you laptop is the image dull?

You also mention replacing ddraw.dll this might have something to do with solving the problem (you should really access ddraw since directx 7 I think, the latest SDK marks it's status as "degraded" i think the term it (obsolete basically). 

From unfortunatly just installing dx5 won't overide the existing ddraw.dll it need to be done manually (which i presume is what you did.  I'd be wary of installing an old version as it may cause errors with other games.  Direct x should be compatible whichever version you have upto 9c but frankly bollocks.

There a chance a proxy DDraw.dll might work (basically install dx5 ddraw.dll in the dark omen directory and hope it ignores the one in sys32, i'm going to give that ago now.

What i'm trying to do to solve the flicker problem is to use hooks to grab the DO ddraw function, i'll get darkomens frame buffers in video memory, and basically check to see if the frame is correct before each frame flip.

olly
Global Spokesperson

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 15, 2009, 01:46:50 AM »

Please never Force your monitor's refresh rate on a TFT Flat Screen.

My post advises against this and my whole Guide is based on an old style CRT monitor working with an Nvidia Graphics card settings and testing on my various  3 TFT Flat screens, all with different refresh rates (60, 75 and 85hz , all with 8ms repsonse times) and using each montior at a time, the flicker is reduced (using my 85hz Flat screen the flicker is almost disapeared, compared with 60hz), hence my theory that a new modern TFT Flat screen, that now come also with 100hz capabilties may well be able to play Dark Omen in Full 3d like my CRT 100>hz monitor, when combined with my Nvidia settings (Radeon i can help with).

http://forum.dark-omen.org/help-section/dark-omen-in-full-3d-mode-high-res-xp-and-no-flicker-t248.0.html

Smiley

ps.
Good luck with DDraw.dll  etc as i didnt need it in the end but its certainly worth further investigation, incase you come up with a better solution by using it.

Using 3d mode on XP = Extra Polygon Triangles of Blood and Magic, Particle Effects and Clear Water. Plus nearly all Dead bodies stay on the Battlefield! When using an Nvidia Graphics Card and old Style CRT 100hz Monitor (or perhaps very new TFT Flat Screen 4-8ms but also now with 100hz).

Smiley
« Last Edit: August 16, 2009, 12:21:43 PM by olly » Logged

and back in Nuln, the ageing Graf Berhardt smiled his secret smile of pride whenever he heard the latest tales of his eldest son's ever growing chain of glorious victories -(sothr manual)
Darkmancer
Developer

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 15, 2009, 03:40:11 AM »

No luck with putting DX 5 in the folder with engrel it's hunting for the window 98/95 version of kernel32.dll (don't mess around with that), i'm going to see if ive any old games with direct 6/7/8.a/8.1.

It's a long shot but out of curiosity try 50hz refresh rate.

Ghabry
Developer

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 15, 2009, 03:04:54 PM »

I already tried putting DLL-Files in the engrel-folder and got there the same kernel32-error. And don't try putting a win98 kernel32 in the folder, it will not work Wink.

Grend
2D Sprite Artist

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 15, 2009, 07:00:58 PM »

quite off topic but wouldnt it be an idea to try making a mod that adds more support for higher resolutions, better particle effects and so on? Ive seen this type of projects brought to fruition with many other popular old games.

On vacation
alavet
Orc Shaman

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 17, 2009, 07:45:46 AM »

offtopic:
now its clear that olly have few .doc files with diffirient themes like
"post to a /welcome/ thread (great time to join, new mods, tournaments etc)"
"post to 3d flickering thread (couple of sexy pics of olly's gameplay)"
or "post to netweork problems" threads

is it true olly? Cheesy
admit me!

Battle not with monsters, lest ye become a monster, and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.
bembelimen
Crossbowman

Who am I and how many?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: August 17, 2009, 01:48:28 PM »

offtopic:
now its clear that olly have few .doc files with diffirient themes like
"post to a /welcome/ thread (great time to join, new mods, tournaments etc)"
"post to 3d flickering thread (couple of sexy pics of olly's gameplay)"
or "post to netweork problems" threads

is it true olly? Cheesy
admit me!

That's top secret Wink

"Sir we are surrounded!!!" "Excellent, then we can attack in any direction."
Darkmancer
Developer

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 18, 2009, 05:18:00 PM »

Quick Update:  I believe the graphics problems are down to dark omen using using OpenGL functions (called though direct draw).

I've found other forum posts about other opengl progs with similar problems but no solutions.

I'm going to try and override the interface update settings, if that doesn't work i'll run a check on each frame outputed if its no good i'll set it to display the last good frame.

By the way does the New Game / load/ options / etc flash black / flicker for anyone else?  I think it might be a Win7 thing.

Mikademus
Developer

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 18, 2009, 06:07:25 PM »

I am interested in this. Could you link me to a few places where they talk about it?

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
Print
Jump to: