March 29, 2024, 01:43:49 AM

Username
Password

Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: What is currently happening with DO?  (Read 20104 times)
armoured-lemming
Orc Boy

View Profile
« on: March 31, 2016, 02:32:14 AM »

Hey folks!

I'm curious about a few things with DO at the moment or rather what this community is currently doing with new mods, DO2 and other such things.

What's currently being worked on?
Are there positions / jobs that are in demand?
Are things still being worked on?
What can people do to help with DO projects at this time?
Are things like Artists, Programmers, Voice Actors and other roles needed?

Pretty much bringing someone curious up to speed with things, I mean from all the mods and such that Olly showed me when he helped me reinstall DO to my rig here, you lot have put in a lot of time and effort into the various projects, even fully functional (if rather hard) campaigns for other armies and such, but I hope there is more planned and being worked on for the future!  Grin

'its cheap, cowardly, and boardline rule breaking... but i like it!'
olly
Global Spokesperson

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2016, 08:29:35 PM »

You rejoin at a great time, as we just completed all necessary mod tools to finally add new maps/ scenery, new sprite armies with 3d heads and new campaign paths. Big thanks to Ghabry, Aqrit, Illidan, Cuthalion (Rob/Mikademus/ Crash/Darkmancer etc).

Dark Omen 2 mod is just our testing ground for adding the first 2 new maps, along with new sprites and 3d heads for Wood Elves, Skaven, Dark Elves and Dwarfs, that are all playable in single and multiplayer (via GameRanger).

Illidan has been demonstrating new ways of creating sprites and maps which we will publish guides for, so anyone can join in the fun soon. Pretty much everything can now be modded, so once we have a load of new maps and sprites, our shared goal would be to create new campaigns that allow you to travel through all the races' lands.

In the next month or so, everything will be announced, along with the guides and other things on the to do list. Exciting times ahead!

Smiley

* DO3dheadsAll7.jpg (138.08 KB. 1015x504 - viewed 821 times.)

Chaos spawn spreads across the lands

* DOnewMap.jpg (154.88 KB. 638x479 - viewed 871 times.)

* EmHouse.jpg (129.13 KB. 640x480 - viewed 835 times.)

« Last Edit: April 08, 2016, 06:35:18 PM by olly » Logged

and back in Nuln, the ageing Graf Berhardt smiled his secret smile of pride whenever he heard the latest tales of his eldest son's ever growing chain of glorious victories -(sothr manual)
armoured-lemming
Orc Boy

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2016, 07:55:48 PM »

That's some very exciting news!

I hope the programs for creating new sprites and heads will be easy enough to use with guides, the more user friendly the programs turn out the faster we can make new things with less stress!  Grin

It would be amazing if we end up eventually being able to make all of the Warhammer armies for DO and have all sorts of new and interesting battlefields and terrain to play with.

Debeul
Giant Spider

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2016, 04:41:00 PM »

Today i was playing some Dark Omen against my brother.
After that I was like lets check the forum again!

I am really happy to read everything that is happening Cheesy
Is my favorite game ever and gonna be very happy to enjoy your guys new features Cheesy
armoured-lemming
Orc Boy

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2016, 12:18:38 AM »

Any new developments?

I maybe a little eager to have something to do seeing as blizzard have been rather slim on the wow content pickings, a bit of pixel art would certainly pass the time hehe!  Grin

Had a few things in mind, like halflings, chaos dwarves, chaos, demons, Lizardmen... pretty much everything that's not been done yet really ^^

olly
Global Spokesperson

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2016, 11:13:20 PM »

This week we (Illidan and I) have mostly been...

Creating and testing new Dwarf mountain snow maps and scenery

* DwBuilding01SnowMap3db.jpg (162.68 KB. 640x480 - viewed 825 times.)

* DwBuildin01Snow3dsmall05b.jpg (164.71 KB. 640x480 - viewed 797 times.)

* DwEntrance3d.jpg (136.21 KB. 640x480 - viewed 877 times.)

Any character that appears in Call of Warhammer Total War and The Sundering Total War mod and The End Times CoW Total War mod, can be converted into sprites for Dark Omen, such as Lizardmen, Chaos Dwarfs, Chaos, Demons etc..

« Last Edit: April 24, 2016, 11:21:11 PM by olly » Logged

and back in Nuln, the ageing Graf Berhardt smiled his secret smile of pride whenever he heard the latest tales of his eldest son's ever growing chain of glorious victories -(sothr manual)
armoured-lemming
Orc Boy

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2016, 02:36:05 AM »

Impressive stuff there Olly, I just hope that in converting the models from the newer games, the art style is able to remain intact, otherwise things may look like you'd be mixing in Wolfenstien 3D sprits in with a more modern shooter.

Too much contrast in a games assets can make things feel... off, like a cheaply made 'unity asset flip' game, a game not matching the sum of its parts so to speak.

olly
Global Spokesperson

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2016, 11:23:01 AM »

All sprites can only ever be 16 colours and all model textures can only ever be 256 colours and 128x128 dimensions, so impossible to "have Wolfenstien 3D sprites in with a more modern shooter" - Fear ye not!

Smiley

« Last Edit: May 01, 2016, 12:30:39 PM by olly » Logged

DMJC
Giant Scorpion

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2016, 01:41:38 PM »

High Resolution Hacking is what I'm currently working on. Currently this is very much a WIP, but be aware I have gotten this upto 2560x1600 Resolution!!! I am eventually going to be testing at 4K on my desktop tower. Basically I just looked for 640 and 480 in the .exe and started swapping out the values for 2560x1600

640 = 8002 480 = e001

1024 = 0004 768 = 0003

2560 = 000A 1600 =4006

Be warned though, that you can't swap all values in the .exe which match the above because it breaks the engine. Some trial and error is needed. I'd like to get a stable conversion working and documented before we make a patcher program or release a HD binary.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2016, 01:48:33 PM by DMJC » Logged
olly
Global Spokesperson

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2016, 02:44:09 PM »

Fantastic!

Smiley

armoured-lemming
Orc Boy

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2016, 10:44:26 AM »

That's also good news! means things wont ever look out of place!
Though do these same colour limitations effect terrain as well? I mean granted you can make some superb looking terrain from the smallest of colour pallets available but again, too much details will over do it, the screenshots of the terrain already made look very nice though!

tovertrut
Mummy

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 07, 2016, 08:11:00 AM »

this looks amazing!  the things you guys do with this old gem...
olly
Global Spokesperson

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 07, 2016, 09:12:05 AM »

Hi welcome back!

Yep we now have 24 new maps, new dwarf, wood elves, dark elves, skaven and start of Chaos armies, all with new 3d heads and the ability to create whole new campaigns. Just putting it all together in DarkOmen2 mod, whilst enjoying the 11 other mod campaigns and working with Devast3d on a new remake game engine Dark Omen Reborn.

Smiley  
« Last Edit: December 07, 2016, 10:05:06 AM by olly » Logged

tovertrut
Mummy

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 07, 2016, 09:14:25 PM »

good to hear that new engine is still being worked on,if its the same project a saw screens from a good while back it looked very promising

the screenys from the new maps also look so yummy
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: