April 25, 2024, 12:23:54 AM

Username
Password

Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Total War Games  (Read 4220 times)
HanBatie
Giant Scorpion

View Profile
« on: November 15, 2010, 02:36:40 AM »

Hi, I'm a bit new to this forum.
     I have recently finished Dark Omen, and I went to look at similar games to play.
     After finding SOTHR, which I failed to launch, the most Dark Omen like games I found were the Total War series.
If you think about it, they too give you control of large groups of people, in regiment. They too have a lot of special effects. The thing that differs is that they have an additional place where you do economics, and they are never: meaning better graphics and more ways to do battle.

I would like to know your opinions about Total War series, and whether they are a real substitute for Dark Omen.

I would also like an advice on where to download the right SOTHR, and how to launch it.
olly
Global Spokesperson

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2010, 02:01:03 AM »

Welcome, Great Time to Join

http://forum.dark-omen.org/introduction/great-time-to-join-t696.0.html

Shadow of the Horned Rat for Windows XP/Vista/7 and also Playstation Emulation for PC

http://forum.dark-omen.org/tactical-wargaming-and-other-warhammer-games/shadow-of-the-horned-rat-t121.0.html

The Total War Series is a Great Topic for discussion, I personally loved Shogun and Call of Warhammer Medieval 2 Mod. They all capture Cavalry and Archers really well but lack Magic and Intercept Shots (no attack ground) but are certainly the closest thing to Dark Omen. We have a section for similar games as well.

http://forum.dark-omen.org/tactical-wargaming-and-other-warhammer-games-b24.0/

One of the Original Dark Omen Artists (Tresdern) went onto work with the Total War series.

Smiley

and back in Nuln, the ageing Graf Berhardt smiled his secret smile of pride whenever he heard the latest tales of his eldest son's ever growing chain of glorious victories -(sothr manual)
Mikademus
Developer

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2010, 02:13:53 PM »

Hi!

The Total War games are really nice tactical games. They focus on a different scope and more realistic settings than Dark Omen so they are not replacements, but they are certainly some of the best tactical wargames you can find!

I myself would recommend the Medieval II or Napoleon titles, but I'm quite stoked about the upcoming Shogun II game!

HanBatie
Giant Scorpion

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2010, 06:38:21 AM »

Thanks for informing me Olly. I've started the SOTHR now.

HanBatie
Giant Scorpion

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2010, 06:45:16 AM »

I've played only the Roman Total War, and I was just interested what would you recommend.
    I agree with what both of you said about about the series, but I think it has a giant drawback compared to Dark Omen. It's battles were not planned out, and so left me a memory of great computer stupidity which almost never happened on Dark Omen.
    I  agree that they capture cavalry and archers well, but I think they focus too much on individualism and not groups and units. But they are definitely more realistic.
Mikademus
Developer

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2010, 01:11:28 AM »

Actually, I agree with you. What makes DO the fantastic game it is is partly because of the solid regiment formation and unit handling, and the Total War games always have felt a bit too "malleable" for me, formation impact-wise. So aye, for me the formations over individuals are part of what makes DO a better, or more fun rather than realistic, gaming experience.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: