March 29, 2024, 02:41:23 PM

Username
Password

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: RTT Alternatives to Dark Omen  (Read 14157 times)
Darkmancer
Developer

View Profile
« on: November 15, 2009, 03:23:29 AM »

Just pointing out some RTT games you may not of heard of.

First Up: World of Battles, currently in open Beta, The seem to have a real attention to detail, and lots of gameplay factors (spells, states, morale, heeight, POV, etc.  Graphically decent and made with Ogre3d Btw.  Unfortunatly it feel clunky and stale to play, and I don't think it'll be fixed by the full game.  
http://www.worldofbattles.com/

Another game you've probobly not heard of is King Arthur by Neocore, It looks fantastic, and seems to be being developed by a talanted and dedicated team, who know absolutly nothing about marketing.  Serious I found this game by accident, there's no previews anywhere or anything.

Engine looks decent - a bit total war like, they've seemed to have gone a bit too much "wouldn't it be cool" for my liking, in that spells seem to pwn everything instead of the tactical skirmishing i prefer that you get with Dark Omen.  Hopefully they're just showing off in the vids.  The game is due to be released on the 24th, hopefully they'll be a demo on steam.
http://www.kingarthurthewargame.com/main.html
« Last Edit: December 12, 2009, 02:52:08 PM by Mikademus, Reason: Updated topc » Logged

Cry woe, destruction, ruin, and decay:
The worst is death, and death will have his day.

[23:04:33] <*Ghabry> The internal design of Darkmancer is just strange
Mikademus
Developer

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2009, 03:13:52 PM »

Good finds, Darkmancer! I checked out both these titles, and they do sem promising! King Arthur seems like a cross between Heroes of Might and Magic and Medieval: Total War, which on the one hand seems very inviting, and on the other hands seems to require huge amounts of time to play! I also agree with you that magic seems overpowered and tactics udnerdeveloped in the game.

World of Battle seems like a very nice game! I'm downloading it now, but haven't played it yet. Looking forward to see what some other developers can do of OGRE3D for a RTT title!

olly
Global Spokesperson

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2009, 08:15:38 PM »

They both look really promising, very cool discovery.

Smiley

and back in Nuln, the ageing Graf Berhardt smiled his secret smile of pride whenever he heard the latest tales of his eldest son's ever growing chain of glorious victories -(sothr manual)
bembelimen
Crossbowman

Who am I and how many?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2009, 08:31:13 PM »

Very cool stuff, sadly I have atm no time to test a game, so I hope for a good review from Mikademus Cheesy

"Sir we are surrounded!!!" "Excellent, then we can attack in any direction."
tovertrut
Mummy

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2009, 06:58:23 AM »

hehe bem,cool santa :p

i bet hell bring death to all children across the chaos wastes

ill keep an eye on those 2 games,btw...are they free?

if any of u liked playing dota(on warcraft 3)i should totaly try to get in the heroes of newerth beta,its a remake and its so much better.
http://www.heroesofnewerth.com/
Nitrox
Skeleton Archer

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2009, 12:07:15 PM »

I'm playing DotA and i'm playing HoN Tover Smiley
tovertrut
Mummy

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2009, 12:23:25 PM »

cool me and avalet aswelli use the name tovertrut on there and avalet uses soldat12

so add us to ur friends list Smiley
Nitrox
Skeleton Archer

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2009, 12:29:31 PM »

I'm using nick Nitrox6 Wink
olor
Night Goblin Archer

The one who can say - Hi Im back again.

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2009, 03:35:09 PM »

I play DotA and had HoN beta invite but since they wanna make it a paid game, im not gonna play it anymore.
Nitrox
Skeleton Archer

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2009, 04:41:06 PM »

They will make it paid game, when there will be offical release on world Tongue
tovertrut
Mummy

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 16, 2009, 06:55:23 PM »

Shocked a paid game realy?

i love this game and its long from release but i will not be paying every month for it

update:

i just read a question and answer from heroes of newerth and the answer to will it be pay to play is:

HoN will not have any recurring charges or subscriptions. It’ll be a one-time fee to pay for your account, and beyond that it’s free to play.

u got me worried there for a second :p
Mikademus
Developer

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 16, 2009, 08:54:42 PM »

Very cool stuff, sadly I have atm no time to test a game, so I hope for a good review from Mikademus Cheesy

Ok, here is a review of World of Battles. First, and least significant, really lame name for a game! But whatever, to each his own, I suppose most people will find "wartbed" quite strange too... O.o

World of Battle is basically MP-only. There is a tutorial, but the "AI" cannot do anything. So I played the tutorial and tried a MP battle online, with one other player on my side, against three opponents. My army had 307 "Army Points", the other had approx. 1500 AP each. After I lost I was toold "Noob!" by someone. The general feeling of the game is great GUI design and really pretty 2D graphics. The 3D is rather garish, and the lack of shadows is really evident. The control scheme is workable, but slightly awkward, and especially the mouse feels flighty. The game is atm (it's still a beta, though) quite boring, with battles not being particularly interesting and not very tactical. Gameplay-wise, it is right in the middle of Mark of Chaos and Dark Omen, leaning toward the MoC side. In fact, the entire games seems like a project with the ambition of remaking MoC but fixing it.

Tactically and technically, it has some very significant drawbacks.
* First of all, units aren't solid and can interprenetrate. Your units can move through each other. This is likely a beta issue.
* You can select and move several units at the same time, but their movements, relative positioning or speeds are not accounted for.
* There seems to be no friendly fire.
* Formation recalculations are poor, which f.i. results in the formation being reshuffled when a soldier is lost.
* The zoom out is really insufficient: it is very difficult to get an overview.
* The game has a slightly childish and immature feeling to it. Don't say that Warhammer also is juvenile, of course it is! Smiley, but it is also polished and tongue-in-cheek, while World of Battle feels like a 15-yo's attempt but made by an actual team.

On the positive side, though, is that it seems to have very solid network capacities. It detects NAT's, it lists hosting capacities, and seems to be able to dynamically re-rout hosting, at least when waiting in the pre-battle lobby, to the one who can.

So in all, I think it might be a nice game eventually, but for my tastes, it is not a replacement for DO and not a competitor for the Total War titles. It focuses on death match MP battles with respawning, seems to have imbal issues, and feels un-tactical. Battles seems to tend to cluster up in the middle, etc. If this seems familiar to you, if felt familiar to me too!

olly
Global Spokesperson

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 16, 2009, 10:23:02 PM »

Nice Review,

Smiley

and back in Nuln, the ageing Graf Berhardt smiled his secret smile of pride whenever he heard the latest tales of his eldest son's ever growing chain of glorious victories -(sothr manual)
Mike
Troll

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 28, 2009, 08:14:27 PM »

Another game you've probobly not heard of is King Arthur by Neocore, It looks fantastic, and seems to be being developed by a talanted and dedicated team, who know absolutly nothing about marketing.  Serious I found this game by accident, there's no previews anywhere or anything.

Engine looks decent - a bit total war like, they've seemed to have gone a bit too much "wouldn't it be cool" for my liking, in that spells seem to pwn everything instead of the tactical skirmishing i prefer that you get with Dark Omen.  Hopefully they're just showing off in the vids.  The game is due to be released on the 24th, hopefully they'll be a demo on steam.
http://www.kingarthurthewargame.com/main.html

Update!

King Arthur on Steam!

http://www.wargamer.com/forums/tm.aspx?m=388806
lots of info here

« Last Edit: November 28, 2009, 08:25:09 PM by Mikademus, Reason: you missed the start [quote] tag » Logged
Mikademus
Developer

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 10, 2009, 09:47:52 PM »

*Mikademus waves his magic wand and splits off the non-RTT discussion to its own thread*

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
Print
Jump to: