March 29, 2024, 02:12:48 PM

Username
Password

Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Other countries, other custom  (Read 3362 times)
bembelimen
Crossbowman

Who am I and how many?

View Profile WWW
« on: June 09, 2010, 09:27:49 PM »

In the last few days I had some business contacts all over the world and (as expected) there were a lot of different custom about the communications.

For example in it is common, that, if you find a mistake in a project, you say it directly to the one who did it: "what you're doing is wrong". After that you try to solve it together. On the other hand, as German, you don't praise other persons, when they finish their step, cause you expect, that everyone do his work as well as we can.

I see often, that Americans praise every small step in the project "well done", "great work" etc. which is very unfamiliar for me, cause I think "that was such a small step, of course I did my best, but no need to start a party about it". In Germany, I think, we would say: "nice, next step please" Wink

So my question is: how do you think, how "handle" persons in your country
  • mistakes in projects (say it directly, try to say it in a "positive" way etc.)
  • when someone do something (nothing special, just something what he has to do)

"Sir we are surrounded!!!" "Excellent, then we can attack in any direction."
CidHalsey
Campaign Creator

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2010, 09:42:06 PM »

I would think, tentatively in England, that it would vary greatly from the personality of each different managers, and the style they employ. Be it one of constantly praising workers, or only rewarding them on special occasions, or being heavy on the critism.

I'd probably employ an approch where I came down hard on anyone who failed, was fairly neutral about people just doing their jobs, but went out of the way to reward anyone who came up with any great, 'thinking outside the box' ideas, and did something above and beyond the call of duty.
Jeronimo
Night Goblin Shaman

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2010, 09:52:38 PM »

Try to take the main question to your local neighbourhood.
Not everyone will react to something like you Bembelimen.

My opinion: "Other persons, other personalities".

It depends on our experiences, not so much in the regional culture.
Then we choose, if we are free persons, the way to treat others.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2010, 10:00:53 PM by Jeronimo » Logged
Flak
Super Moderator

Jake Nielsen

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2010, 09:54:39 PM »

That is true bembe

i have it in my family as my wife is Scottish.

I am much more direct in my speaking, my wifes family cant answer the phone with out asking and telling how they are and hows their day has been, where as i mostly just ask what anyone who phones me want.
I feel they take ages to get to the point and my wife always say i have to be more polite, despite the fact that by my own estimations i am being polite

its a funny thing

"There is only one way out of hell, thats through it" -- General Patton

"Just because a mage wears the Black Robes, does not make him evil." -- Raislin Magere

"Evil Turns upon it self" -- Paladine
lordbraprus
Crossbowman

wiiiii

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2010, 02:19:09 AM »

jero you wrong, i mean , there is a standar, imagine the typical argentinian, informal most of the time and friendly , directly honest, çso the standar d is that ppl here would tell you what is right or wrong, and in a driendly way he may help you, or in the other hand dont give you a SHI t and tell that your work is wrong and go away leaving you alone in the dark

ito maquiesves
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: