March 29, 2024, 10:39:19 AM

Username
Password

Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Neptunes Pride - Free Game  (Read 4688 times)
Darkmancer
Developer

View Profile
« on: June 17, 2010, 01:21:36 AM »

I've just started playing a free game called Neptunes Pride.  It's a fairly simple multiplayer browser based game, based in space you build ships, expand your empire,  do research etc.  However when it comes down to it the games mostly about diplomacy, deception, and maniplation.

A quick review can be found here:
 http://www.gamecareerguide.com/industry_news/27158/analysis_the_icy_grandeur_of_.php

It's interesting how the game can really change as alliances form/collapse, and you can bonce from certain defeat to winning the game Smiley

Free games are resticted options wise, but if people are interested we could start a game against each other.

Be warned the game plays slowly esp to start with, it plays "real time" but seems turn based in nature with a turn a day (agin to begin with I think it'll go quicker the more tech you research).

The actual game:
http://np.ironhelmet.com/

« Last Edit: June 17, 2010, 01:30:35 AM by Darkmancer » Logged

Cry woe, destruction, ruin, and decay:
The worst is death, and death will have his day.

[23:04:33] <*Ghabry> The internal design of Darkmancer is just strange
olly
Global Spokesperson

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2010, 09:34:12 PM »

Looks Good!

Smiley

and back in Nuln, the ageing Graf Berhardt smiled his secret smile of pride whenever he heard the latest tales of his eldest son's ever growing chain of glorious victories -(sothr manual)
Grend
2D Sprite Artist

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2010, 11:10:22 AM »

The name reminds me of Bioshock, any connection?

On vacation
CidHalsey
Campaign Creator

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2010, 05:33:34 PM »

Motivate me.

Why is this game better than any of the other free online games I waste my life playing?

Answer correctly, and I'll join.
Darkmancer
Developer

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2010, 02:54:12 AM »

I don't think so Grend although there are nods to other games/universes in game (I own a planet called arrakis  Smiley  )

Cid it's upto you if you want to play but Neptune point is different to 99% of all the other free games out there.  NP it extremely strategic and diplomacy based.

Case in point:

Heres the map of my game - I'm turquoise.  This is day 2 I've formed a tech alliance with Orange, and now my ships are faster and have a larger range than anybody elses, unfortunatly all the others out gun me as they went with weapons reseach.  Due to faster expansion i've slightly better ecomemy and production facilities than evenone else (green as ecomomy lead) Orange has better science as he has 2 sci vs's evenbody elses 1.  Now what do I do?

I have approached green it an attempt to aquire weapons tech if that fails i will try red, then finally yellow/blue.  Beyond that I can:

a) Wait and see expand a bit SW - avoids wars, allows me to develop empire a bit, maybe a war I can take advantage of?  BUT I will lose impetus.

b) attack yellow - maybe try and get red too join in, I have a great chance of winning that war but it will weaken me in the short term.  I would be breaking a NAP with him though.

c) attack blue - he is even less developed than yellow, but if i win i'd have flanks open to everybody, anyone wanting to go east or west will go though me.

d) attempt some form of coalition with yellow and/or blue, it depend on yellow and blues attitude it could back fire easily, blue has aleady ignored my attempt to form a NAP with him, they will betray me sooner or later.

e) attack both yellow and blue, combined they do out produce and have a bigger economy than me, however my quick expansion and advanced tech mean im in with a good shot of being able to hit their core high production worlds, then I should be able to slowly grind them down.

Orange and Green are in far the best posistion with no wars and options to do what they want, any fightig by me will play into thir hands, - worst case scenario blue & yellow attack me together and they strike first.

It'll take 2 days to get my forces into posistion whatever I do, + I need to get the weapons tech.  I'll let you know what happens Smiley
« Last Edit: June 19, 2010, 03:11:30 AM by Darkmancer » Logged

Cry woe, destruction, ruin, and decay:
The worst is death, and death will have his day.

[23:04:33] <*Ghabry> The internal design of Darkmancer is just strange
CidHalsey
Campaign Creator

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2010, 03:14:14 AM »

Alright. I'm interested. Just gimme some spare time and I'll at least check it out.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: