March 29, 2024, 02:20:23 AM

Username
Password

Poll
Question: From where does your interest in Dark Omen originate from?Huh???
Warhammer Fantasy RPG - 3 (11.5%)
Warhammer Games Workshop figure battles - 5 (19.2%)
Shadow of the Horned Rat - 7 (26.9%)
Dark Omen itself - 11 (42.3%)
Warhammer 40K - 0 (0%)
Earlier WH games (specify) - 0 (0%)
Total Voters: 26

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: How did you come to play Dark Omen  (Read 11211 times)
Flak
Super Moderator

Jake Nielsen

View Profile WWW
« on: February 25, 2009, 12:13:58 PM »

I was wondering when and how all our cool coo-memebers found their facination for Dark Omen

Myself i played Warhammer Fantasy RPGs with some mates, they all played SOTHR, my computer couldnt run it at the time but when Dark Omen came out one of them got it, my newer computer could run it and i was hooked imidiately.

I will admit i never completed SOTHR Embarrassed

"There is only one way out of hell, thats through it" -- General Patton

"Just because a mage wears the Black Robes, does not make him evil." -- Raislin Magere

"Evil Turns upon it self" -- Paladine
Kyjja
Orc Boy

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2009, 07:26:26 PM »

DO itself.
bembelimen
Crossbowman

Who am I and how many?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2009, 08:24:22 PM »

Was the only good game at my game collection cd (ok there was also c&c red alert and future cop, but DO was the best)

"Sir we are surrounded!!!" "Excellent, then we can attack in any direction."
Kypper
Mummy

Bones and bones and bones ripping your flesh !

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2009, 08:47:20 PM »

The Horned Rat. Smiley

(a long, long time ago)

See you, space scorpion !
Ghabry
Developer

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2009, 08:54:07 PM »

I found Dark Omen in the same collection bembe had (but I also liked Airline Tycoon and Heart of Darkness in this collection besides CnC and Future Cop Cheesy)
« Last Edit: February 25, 2009, 10:09:21 PM by Ghabry » Logged

Daviwolfy
Night Goblin

Why to buy one when you can buy two for double?

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2009, 11:31:01 AM »

When some friends and me discover a game named Battle Master (ancient game of Games-Workshop)...then, we falled in love with it.... We playe some years Warhammer in our town and near cities.

Sometime later I found SOTHR (and DarOmen some years later more) and it was our favorite game for a lot of time (besides C&c, Red Alert, Warcraft 2, Starcraft Cheesy ). We played a lot multiplayer games.

And now....i have 4 armies of Warhammer (2 of fantasy and 2 of 40k) and 2 teams of BloodBowl....and my girlfriend that she support me and my "hobbies" :p

And this is the history of my freak live Wink

Signed: Captain Daviwolfy, Lord of the 4th Null Artillery Regiment Smiley

Why to buy one when you can buy two for double?
olly
Global Spokesperson

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2009, 01:14:18 PM »

I first started out collecting the Odd 40k Orkz Nobz!

Then progressed onto the PC to play Final Liberation and Shadow of The Horned Rat then Dark Omen

and along the way I pretty much purchased and played any similar Fantasy Game but none compared to Dark Omen.

Such as:-

Warrior Kings -Some of the best AI you ever see, for instance in Command and Conquer we would always build a Front Line Wall and Funnel in the Enenmy. However, the AI in Warrior Kings would see this and not attack your front gate but go round the back where the defense was weaker and then set light to your Walls!

Lord of Rings - (Slate me if u like but if u have ever played it, then u can appreciate how it did have Cavarly Charge from Rear and Sides , that would affect Polearms enenmies, as well as having magic and archers etc. The Best Mode was versus 2 AI oppenents that would be set to Extreme diffficulty and 10,000 units. As both Sets of AI had different troops, so combined they made a Formiddable Opponent.

Shogun, Rome, Barbarian and Medieval and Medival 2 - No Magic or Attack Ground but i love them and one of the original Dark Omen Artists (Tresdern) went onto to work on Shogun. - I Mod these Games and cant wait for The Call of Warhammer Mod.

Dawn of War - Good graphics (as first game to have such detailed 3d sprites) but shallow on tactics (only Differing Terrain) so I prefer Company of Heroes and I Mod them Both.

and back in Nuln, the ageing Graf Berhardt smiled his secret smile of pride whenever he heard the latest tales of his eldest son's ever growing chain of glorious victories -(sothr manual)
Mikademus
Developer

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2009, 01:08:14 AM »

Olly, did you ever frequent Black Cactus' (Warrior King) forums? If so you might have come across me there when I coined the RTT definition under the pseudonym Wellington Smiley

olly
Global Spokesperson

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2009, 01:20:13 AM »

Sadly not but the phrase RTT was certainly part of my Vocabulary,

so your Gospel must have reached Far and Wide!

Smiley

and back in Nuln, the ageing Graf Berhardt smiled his secret smile of pride whenever he heard the latest tales of his eldest son's ever growing chain of glorious victories -(sothr manual)
DjLeBomb
Halberdier

"Fire walk with me"

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2009, 03:39:11 AM »

I played Do for the first time in the '98 in the playstation of i friend of mine, even i was having my first affaire  Kiss with Warhammer Fantasy (that later become more strong) i don't have knowledge of Final Liberation and SOTHR until some years later  Huh?. Some months later of the DO revelation and after beating the campaign a dozen of times another friend brought the pc version and we throw away the play version, and some months later another friend began to bring cheap alcohol  Tongue, illegal "things" Lips Sealed and cool girls  Cool , so we throw away the play, the pc and the games, hahahha  Grin ...ahh those happy teenage times  Cry
By the way, anyone knows the CHAOS GATE game? i played with my friends but i have never tried the MP connection, it will be great to play it with someone ( i love the Tactics by turns, like UFO, i still can believe that i finish it!)

"Of course you should fight fire with fire. You should fight everything with fire." Jaya Ballard, task mage.
Chinnico
Night Goblin Archer

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2009, 04:22:26 PM »

When I was young(er) I used to play Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay with a few friends of mine. At that time, living in Italy, we had to either mail order stuff from UK, or travel some 100 km to Milano in order to find the only shop nearby that imported GW material. We also played classical D&D, AD&D and Call of Chtulhu.
We slowly managed to put our hands on other GW games, like Space Hulk, Epic Space Marines, Space Fleet and other miniature games. By the way, both games and most of all miniatures were incredibly more cheap than they are now (think of the rough equivalent of 1-1.5 euros for a full-detailed metal space marine).
In those early ages, when I had an Amiga 500 and my first PC (486) was still to come, I couldn't wait for a decent GW licensed videogame. Yet, conversions of Hero Quest or Space Crusade weren't exactely what I was looking for.
Then Space Hulk (for PC) stole my heart away. I was only waiting for a good Warhammer Fantasy-themed game.
Although I was never able to play Shadow of the Horned Rat, I was a little disappointed by the average reviews this game got (at least in Italy).
By the time DO came out, I was prepared: AMD K6-2 266 MHz, Diamond Monster 3D II (Voodoo 2) with 12 Mb and a Sound Blaster AWE32. I am happy to say that I was not disappointed. As you all can see...
Mr Shadow
Orc Boy

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 22, 2009, 11:13:21 AM »

I always had something of a soft spot for Games Workshop products, but when I picked up a demo of Dark Omen in 98 I didn't know much about the hobby.
What I did know however was that I loved tactical games  Grin

Dont know if you remember that Demo; it was only one map, Defence of Bogenhafen!
Suffice to say -I was hooked.

”Die Uhr geht vorwärts und sagt Tick-Tack, Rommel geht rückwärts und sagt Taktik”
Flak
Super Moderator

Jake Nielsen

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: March 23, 2009, 06:55:54 PM »

its nice to see how so many have their own special road to playn Dark Omen and reasons for being fanatics like everyone else here hehe Grin

"There is only one way out of hell, thats through it" -- General Patton

"Just because a mage wears the Black Robes, does not make him evil." -- Raislin Magere

"Evil Turns upon it self" -- Paladine
joeymofo
Giant Spider

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 14, 2009, 01:41:40 PM »

Hi only just came to play the game, but playing all the RTS games like C&C and red alert with my brothers over LAN was what got me into gaming. and then watching them all play D&D games got me into elves orcs hobbits etc. Then they moved onto warhammer collecting and i never really played the tabletop game, but admired the tactics involved. being more of a gamer, DO is just perfect!
WarpGhost
Ghoul

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: April 14, 2009, 02:42:07 PM »

I was introduced to the Warhammer TT games back in '96, though I'd come across Space Crusade and Heroquest (and heard of but not played SOTHR) before then. I bought DO in a bargain bin a couple of years after it came out, as I'd missed it the first time round.

Ah, Warrior Kings; I got both of them but never really played that far into them, as originally my PC wasnt really good enough for them, although recently I tried going back to the original but had a PC rebuild get in the way.

Death is its own reward, but so is chocolate
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
Print
Jump to: