March 28, 2024, 12:10:29 PM

Username
Password

Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Power of Anti Magic Items and Dispell Magic  (Read 14378 times)
olly
Global Spokesperson

View Profile
« on: May 10, 2009, 07:02:42 PM »

Just a quick reminder of how powerful Anti magic and Dispell can be,

was demonstrated recently when fighting against Pepijn's teleporting

Necromancer (we were playing 9k no rules). I had around 6 Elven warriors

left but they carried the Banner of Arcane Warding and despite his Necro

having 3 Dispells cast on himself, he shot 3 Doombolt (purple fireballs) at the Elves

and the Banner deflected one of them straight back at the Necromancer who then

died instantly, without using up any of his three Dispell magic, blue swirling particles.

Smiley

So the banner of Arcane Warding may negate or deflect enemy spells back to the closest enemy,

whilst the Spell Shield Eater will absorb the spell and channel its power to any friendly mages and

provide armour increase and Mork's banner negates spells and will explode any enemy mages on contact.

Leaving the Friendly Mage's dispell magic to just negate spells, similar to the Greenskin's Mork Save Uz spell.

All of these will of course Negate the Effect of the Horn (the Horn will take off 1 Anti dispell Magic) and Sword

of Skabskrath, causing Fear/Flee and also the Bright Wizard's Burning Head, since its unearthly laughter can cause

units to flee in Fear, as does the Ice Mage's Hawks of Miska, that may unnerve the enemy with its unearthly shrieking.

The Horn will also calm any of your Fleeing Troops, within ear shot/range and they will Rally themselves to return to Battle.

Smiley

*Please do not confuse the Magical Effects Of causing Fear with the other Fear and Hatred Special Rules*
« Last Edit: May 10, 2009, 07:33:47 PM by olly » Logged

and back in Nuln, the ageing Graf Berhardt smiled his secret smile of pride whenever he heard the latest tales of his eldest son's ever growing chain of glorious victories -(sothr manual)
Flak
Super Moderator

Jake Nielsen

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2009, 08:15:53 PM »

very true olly

i had Banner of Arcane Warding on AI units once and a simple single Wind of Cold, turned back onto my own Dwarf Warriors and killed half or the regiment as the Wind of Cold moved down 2 rows of troops and froze them all  Shocked

Its important to use Dispel magic on the mage, however there are some things to be aware of

Against Alavet once, his Goblin shaman had cast 3 dispel magic's on himself before entering combat with my vampire, then the Shaman cast 3 Brain Bursta, but because he had 3 dispel magics on himself and the vampire was in close combat with the Shaman, the shamans own dispel magic's absorbed the 3 Brain Bursta's. Leaving the Shaman open to the vampires 3 Doom Bolts cast right after the Dispel Magic had absorbed and disappeared from Shaman, who then died instantly from the Doom Bolts.

"There is only one way out of hell, thats through it" -- General Patton

"Just because a mage wears the Black Robes, does not make him evil." -- Raislin Magere

"Evil Turns upon it self" -- Paladine
Malus
Campaign Creator

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2009, 09:10:53 PM »

Yes the anti magic items are very strong, but expensive too.
And if the opponent didnĀ“t use magic against them, its useless.

The spelleater shield is a good item to feet the own wizard, a nice tactic to get extra magic power.

My experience at fighting with dispell magic.
I used "Blade Wind" with the necromancer against an other mage with 3xdispell magic, but the swords where dispeled with the 3. dispell magic. That means, i spend 1 point(wand of yet) and he lose 3 dispell magic charges.

Is there a difference between 1 or 3 dispell magic on an unit?
I think there is a chance to dispell the magic spell, with one dispell magic its lower than three.
If its fail, one charge lost and the unit takes damage. Now the next charge try to dispell the effect.

The same problem with the firewall too, my unit needs 2 or 3 dispell magic to negate the effect.

Sometimes i use only one dispell magic to an unit against the horn, banner of lightning or magic sword but it failed easy.

Yes the anti magic items are powerfull, but sometimes if i need them, the effect fail  :Smiley

"I live to cheat death."
Commander Morgan Bernhardt

"We are the most civilised race in the world. We have more exquisite ways to kill than any other."
Lord Vraneth the Cruel, master of Har Ganeth
WarpGhost
Ghoul

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2009, 02:42:37 PM »

I think the  mages dispel are more like chances to dispel an enemy magic, rather than the dead certain from the magic items.

Death is its own reward, but so is chocolate
alavet
Orc Shaman

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2009, 08:03:24 AM »

keep in mind that antimagic items (orc banner at least) aint actually warranty 100% that spell will be resisted.

in one battle ice mage hitted my regiments (which was in battle) by magic few times ( i think 2 times from Cool, and my regiment finally died after that.

Battle not with monsters, lest ye become a monster, and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.
olly
Global Spokesperson

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2009, 07:54:41 PM »

A Good Demonstration of Spells still getting through Anti Magic,

can be seen in this old Battle Movie. At around 1:56min the Bright

Wizard casts a Burning Head at my Orc Biguns and it is Negated.

However, at 4mins he casts more Burning Heads at them and the effects,

this time get through. A great way to show the Throw of the Random Virtual Dice,

didnt favour the Orc Big'uns that day, their Luck had almost Run Out!

sickie vs ollyLQ | HQ | by Aeva

I was lucky enough to be declared the Winner against Sickie in that Match,

very close Game, before he accidently hit the power button but I managed to take a pic.

Smiley
« Last Edit: May 14, 2009, 08:09:17 PM by olly » Logged

and back in Nuln, the ageing Graf Berhardt smiled his secret smile of pride whenever he heard the latest tales of his eldest son's ever growing chain of glorious victories -(sothr manual)
warhammerfreak
Greatsword

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2009, 03:06:58 PM »

I found out in the singleplayer that if you cast a spell e.g. fire blast with a mage wearing the wand of jet on your own unit with spelleater shield you spent 1 mana but you gain 2 mana.

"Did you know that there are those days that  even my lucky underpants with spacerockets won't help." "Then u did everything that was in your power ."
Ghabry
Developer

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2009, 08:52:29 AM »

I know...
And now guess why I never wrote anything about this bug :/

tovertrut
Mummy

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2009, 09:21:12 AM »

probably bcauyse it will also work in multiplayer.i had never tried this but it seems intresting.

not something people should do in multi tho.
alavet
Orc Shaman

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2009, 12:16:17 PM »

well, for 1st lvl mage it willnt give much edge but for higher one its pretty interesting one..

Battle not with monsters, lest ye become a monster, and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.
volanchik
Giant Scorpion

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2009, 07:19:41 PM »

From singleplayer I have learned that all antimagic defence could be avoided or negated sometimes. On last battle I was having fun, and mummies obtained antimagic banner. After all I killed them with thunder storm banner, less effective, but about 25% of hits find their target. Interesting that banner negates and even sometimes negates direct magic attacks. It could turn back fireball from gunderbringer sword and mage's fireball, but never thunder from banner or sword. Negates - yes, but never turn back.
Also I had beed hit with enemy necromancer when 3 dispell magic were on the regiment.

But as I noticed not only antimagic stuff (casts from mages, shield or banner and trools) have some sort of small chanse being penetrated, but also shiled of ptolos. I can devide it in 3 categories:
a) regiments with ptolos hit by a cannon or orc bolt. From my small experience chances to loose some units are about 50%/50%
b) regiments with ptolos hit by a mortar / lobber / cataput (direct hit has 50% chances of penetrating and making damage, indirect about 10%)
c) regiments with ptolos hit by archers. While your regiment stay silent - almost 100% safe. When your regiment move there a slim chance to been hit appears, and when your regiment shoot back or fight in cc another regiment - more chances apperas for being hit.
Tested in 3-rd part of a singleplayer (frosen land) when I tried to shoot all archers and catapult with my own x-men with ptolos.

And as I understood all anti stuff works well with 1 thread. When I try to hit regiment with ptolos with 2 regiment of archers it start taking huge damage. Same with magic.

Sorry for my bad english.
lordbraprus
Crossbowman

wiiiii

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: October 02, 2009, 07:58:14 PM »

[Jeronimo] Hi Volanchic.

From what i saw in battles, when Ptolos absorbes a proyectil, it opens a small circle that quickly regenerates. When 2 regiments are firing a Reg with Ptolos, the first arrows are absorbed, but second arrows can hit the regiment, because Ptolos hasnt enough time to regenerate forceshield (orange points means its hurted, like the ozone layer).

About Rays, is true... they arent reflected, direct impact from sky. Its like Physics. Gravity dont let the spell be reflected, while magic balls attacks coming from horizon, yes.

ito maquiesves
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: