March 29, 2024, 12:22:58 AM

Username
Password

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Table Top Recreations. Need help!  (Read 14004 times)
armoured-lemming
Orc Boy

View Profile
« on: June 05, 2019, 10:46:47 PM »

Wow, really had been a long time since i was last on here, glad to see people are still on here and Dark Omen is still being worked on, absolutely amazing.  Grin

I've still been working on my own project related to both Dark Omen and Shadow of the Horned Rat, and while my earlier work left a lot to be desired (not to say my current skill has no room to grow, far from it!) I feel im at a point now where i can make a legitimate attempts at recreating the Grudgebringer army, and it's allies into table top form set in Warhammer's 8th edition (because sod Age of Sigmar and its round bases!)

however I've run into a bit of a snag, several actually, finding the art assets for each regiment and their leaders portraits has been immensely challenging and at points downright impossible, I've even taken to try and watch youtube walkthroughs and pausing the videos just to take screen shots for reference.

So i come to you, the Dark Omen community with a request, I am looking to get my hands on a complete catalog of images of Regimental Banners, Regimental leader portraits (possibly outside of their borders in the case of Dark Omen), In-game Regimental entries and in-game sprite models. So that i maybe able to better recreate the regiments as close to the source material as humanly possible.

Greenstuff, third parts component makers (Anvil Industries have been great for human heads!) and a catalog of miniatures from today to the 80's have and will be used in this undertaking but i need the images to see this passion project through.

Naturally I will happily post any and all progression of the units here on the site as well as some older attempts the younger me has all those years with limited resources (I'm talking pocket money, blue tac and kit bashing all while not knowing what the point of undercoating, overcoating and basing was, these Grudgebringer Crossbowmen looks A LOT different last year)

Thank you for you're time, Also for those that would like to chat i can be reached on Discord, just add me: Dusty#9557

'its cheap, cowardly, and boardline rule breaking... but i like it!'
Malus
Campaign Creator

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2019, 07:01:33 PM »

Hello and welcome back!

There is a very good unit list for all Dark Omen units on our main page

Troops

i.e. Grudgebringer Cavalry

To get the same amount of info for SOTHR will be difficult. I have the game but screenshots taken are just black.
And all of the picture files are in some weird format.

"I live to cheat death."
Commander Morgan Bernhardt

"We are the most civilised race in the world. We have more exquisite ways to kill than any other."
Lord Vraneth the Cruel, master of Har Ganeth
armoured-lemming
Orc Boy

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2019, 09:48:33 PM »

Good to be back!

Those troop entries have been useful for the most part, though the banners on display are the low detail, in battle icons rather then the full ones shown in the roster in-game.
I think perhaps i should try to get the old game running again, And have another crack at beating SotHR while I'm at it... I just find that game relentless hard compared to Dark Omen.

I really wish GoG would get Dark Omen on their store already and in working order for simplicity and convenience sake.
If i did play myself though I;d have my phone handy to take screen shots that way  Grin

Malus
Campaign Creator

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2019, 12:10:49 AM »

Here is a very good Lets Play from The Inept General playing SOTHR

Warhammer: Shadow of the Horned Rat Part 1powered by Aeva

He also reads unit books and his route is i think the most complete one.
Quality is good.

"I live to cheat death."
Commander Morgan Bernhardt

"We are the most civilised race in the world. We have more exquisite ways to kill than any other."
Lord Vraneth the Cruel, master of Har Ganeth
aqrit
Developer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2019, 01:33:40 AM »

We made a tool to convert the SOTHR sprites/banners/portraits to bitmaps.
http://www.bitpatch.com/sothr.html

SOTHR friendly unit stats are in the "MAXARMY.MRC" file.
Which is (mostly) a text file.

SOTHR makes heavy usage of the "resource" section of executable files to store text and images.
the "unit book" entries might be in BKTXT.DLL? You may be able to view it with https://cerbero.io/peinsider/
(I don't have windows or wine install at the moment...)

Dark Omen unit stats can be had using the wh32edit2 program in the download section.
The unit book descriptions are embedded in the game executable and can be viewed with IDA or hex-editor.

I think there are several options for viewing dark omen sprites/banners/models on this site.

armoured-lemming
Orc Boy

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2019, 04:41:40 AM »

Thank you Malus for the video link, I'll check that out! the army book pages will really come in handy.

Will admit though Aqrit, I'm not at all tech savvy, struggling just to get Dark Omen running even with Olly's guide. Almost nailed it but the game was ghosting  some images in purple and green the first time i tried to run it, and when i tinkered with the CPU / 3D settings the game wouldn't run properly again.

Reinstalling the game now, I know i can beat Dark Omen again so i can get the images the old fashioned way (or the multiplayer army builder for a lot of them should work too!)

armoured-lemming
Orc Boy

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2019, 05:29:48 AM »

Actually got the game working... sort of.
Was able to get into the army editor so i now have a few useful images (including the mortar i was after)

The game even rungs but there is a major issue with it.
The entire left hand side of the screen has a purple filter over it and the whole screen is ghosted onto it, all while the entire screen flickers.

Olly's guild at least got me from the game not even loading on the disc to that far, ill try and fix it tomorrow when it's not 5:30 am
Laters all!

olly
Global Spokesperson

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2019, 02:55:16 PM »

Welcome back and can remote onto your pc using Teamviewer to fix the game, as you probably just missed a step from the guide. Can send you all the extracted SOTHR and DO resources you need as well, thanks to Aqrit's and others great mod tools.

Smiley
« Last Edit: June 08, 2019, 03:11:33 PM by olly » Logged

and back in Nuln, the ageing Graf Berhardt smiled his secret smile of pride whenever he heard the latest tales of his eldest son's ever growing chain of glorious victories -(sothr manual)
olly
Global Spokesperson

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2019, 05:50:29 PM »

Using Aqrit's advice here is the extracted Army Book descriptions from SOTHR BKTXT.DLL

https://www.dropbox.com/s/5s1k71edmq8b91v/SOTHR%20BkTXT%20dll%20Army%20book%20descriptions.txt?dl=0

and Aqrit's SOTHR MAXARMY MRC friendly unit stats find

https://www.dropbox.com/s/svm3prwphclzp4h/SOTHR%20%20MAXARMY%20MRC%20friendly%20unit%20stats.txt?dl=0

and back in Nuln, the ageing Graf Berhardt smiled his secret smile of pride whenever he heard the latest tales of his eldest son's ever growing chain of glorious victories -(sothr manual)
armoured-lemming
Orc Boy

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2019, 05:54:57 PM »

heya Olly, Aye sorry I've been gone for so long.

I'd certainly be up for getting the game running properly if you like, I did try to follow the guild but as yah know I'm not at all tech Savvy, though i am happy with myself getting the game from not even entertaining the idea of running to technically being playable if you don't have epilepsy and can see in double vision  Grin

And aye, I;ve see you lot do some amazing progress since i was last here with modding the game.

olly
Global Spokesperson

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2019, 06:01:02 PM »

Good to have you back and yep install Teamviewer 13 and message me the ID and password, so I can remote in and fix. Use Gimp to view the .tga DO banners found in my Dark Omen 2 mod pack

C:\Program Files (x86)\Dark Omen\Mods\Dark Omen 2\Graphics\Books\HLBAN

C:\Program Files (x86)\Dark Omen\Mods\Dark Omen 2\Graphics\Books\HSHIELD

Portraits ->

C:\Program Files (x86)\Dark Omen\Graphics\Books\Troops

C:\Program Files (x86)\Dark Omen\Mods\Dark Omen 2\Graphics\Books\Troops

armoured-lemming
Orc Boy

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 08, 2019, 06:06:45 PM »

installing teamviewer now, though only 14 was available from their site, I hope that's alright.
I'll have to also get GIMP at some point too Cheesy

I'm also curious, does the site have a Discord channel?

olly
Global Spokesperson

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 08, 2019, 06:09:23 PM »

No probs I also downloaded Teamviewer14

Chat channel is

https://riot.im/app/#/room/#dark-omen:matrix.org

and I've found in my archives quite a few SOTHR extracted portraits, banners and sprites so will extract them all later for you. What other stuff do you require? Also Evgen recently altered us that there is a Dark Omen mod for Total War Warhammer 2

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=394&v=rESj6avfFOw

armoured-lemming
Orc Boy

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 08, 2019, 09:52:48 PM »

thanks for getting the old gold running again for me Olly, was a stubborn git to have running and Team Viewer 13 being a massive troll haha Cheesy
I owe yah a drink.
And again a massive thank you to everyone that makes these mods and gets them running.

armoured-lemming
Orc Boy

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 14, 2019, 02:49:47 AM »

Been slowly getting through the campaign, finally at Kislev and the dreaded S cliffs with the first screaming skull catapults, even after years of not playing i still remember how much of a ball ache this one is~

Models have been going well though, got the mortar undercoated and i recently purchased a steam tank and some pistoliers from GW (since for some reason they cost the same, if not more from sellers on ebay)

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
Print
Jump to: