March 29, 2024, 08:50:46 AM

Username
Password

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Shadow of the Horned Rat  (Read 81058 times)
Jim
Developer

Goblin Jim, Commander of Greenskins

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: September 19, 2010, 10:37:22 PM »

I found a way to install & run Shadow of the Horned Rat in Windows 7 x64 (based on the Linux Wine install method already described in this thread).

1. Copy files from CD:
- Copy contents from CD:\RMORPH folder to your c:\windows\sysWOW64 folder.
- Copy contents from CD:\WING folder to your c:\windows\system32 folder.
- Copy CD:\WARFB folder to E:\ (or whatever folder you want, but then you'll need to change paths in reg file).
- Create empty folder E:\WARFB\TEMP
- Create empty folder E:\WARFB\UPDATE
- Create empty folder E:\WARFB\UPDATE\BINARY
- Copy only files (not the 3 folders) from CD:\WARFB\ENG\FILE\BINARY to E:\WARFB\UPDATE\BINARY
- Copy contents from E:\WARFB\ENG\GENERIC to E:\WARFB\ENG\WIN95

2. Import registry file (and adjust folder names if needed) - see earlier in this thread

3. Rightclick E:\WARFB\ENG\WIN95\WHSHR.EXE and choose "Win95 compatibility mode" and "Running in 256 colours"

4. Play SoTHR perfectly in Win7 x64!

PearlChoco, thanks a lot!

I thought I could never play SOTHR on my Win7 x64.

But...

In the instruction, in point 3 you say "Copy contents from E:\WARFB\ENG\GENERIC to E:\WARFB\ENG\WIN95"

But I don't have a "E:\WARFB\ENG\GENERIC" folder at all! Sad

My GameRanger ID: 2332541
Online Map shuffler
Jim
Developer

Goblin Jim, Commander of Greenskins

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: September 19, 2010, 10:44:14 PM »

I just made a virtual pc, or to be perfectly honest, I downloaded a pre made virtual pc and installed SOTHR on it.

Hi Grend.
Could you tell more about this, please?

My GameRanger ID: 2332541
Online Map shuffler
olly
Global Spokesperson

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: September 25, 2010, 05:49:21 PM »

To play Shadow of The Horned Rat on Windows XP/Vista/7 please download this excellent AutoInstaller & ISO

http://www.oldgames.sk/en/game/warhammer-shadow-of-the-horned-rat/download/2425/

However best played on PSX Emualtion as more 3d and graphically enhanced
« Last Edit: January 23, 2012, 01:07:05 AM by olly » Logged

and back in Nuln, the ageing Graf Berhardt smiled his secret smile of pride whenever he heard the latest tales of his eldest son's ever growing chain of glorious victories -(sothr manual)
Hokum
Troll

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: August 28, 2011, 11:18:49 AM »

I installed both versions, and played until Shattered Pass (last Carlsson mission) on the PC. Used the oldgame.sk rip, and added the videos from another source. Worked like a charm on Win 7.

I forgot how much more effort they put in the story than in DO, the cutscenes are incredible.

However, the interface is a messy disaster, and I don't think I want to go through this anymore. Will try the PSX version when my 8$ gamepad arrives.

Why o why did they screw up Mark of Chaos   Cry
cuthalion
Campaign Creator

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: February 27, 2012, 12:09:13 PM »

btw here the most epic video about Shadow of the horned rat:
FU SOTHR-MATURE LANGUAGE

THAT IS AWESOME! Smiley just LMAO

Pity I lived 15 years after I played SOTHR as a kid, and never knew that it and Dark Omen are so popular in the world, and ppl talking about it! Smiley

Btw, SOTHR seemed harder to me, though I didn't know a word in English by then so all these spell descriptions, army descriptions, archers-shooters-melee-mage units etc passed me by. I only figured everything out by using units/clicking icons Smiley

Anyway SOTHR seemed a bit harder, at least certain missions.
rbbane
Giant Scorpion

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: March 28, 2012, 12:52:29 PM »

Recently downloaded "small" version (without "cut scenes" or "speech" files) of SotHR from Abandonia.  Installed onto XP SP3 using their "whshr.bat" file + their  reg file.  Despite other folks saying that they couldn't get the game running, after using files obtained from Abandonia my SotHR loaded and played perfectly.  But of course it didn't have the cut scenes and speech to go with them.  However, the video scenes in the caravan and of characters giving briefings played ok, with the subtitles, but without any sound.
Although I used to have the game CD in the late '90s, I lost it.  So I bought another SotHR CD from EBay.  After a bit of trial and error found and copied the "animation" and "speech" files from the CD onto where I thought they ought to go in the game folder.  And again after a bit of trial and error, moving these "cut scene" files about eventually got the intro scene to play when loading the game.  
Great, I thought.  Everything ok now.  But I was disappointed to discover that even though the intro scene played, with sound, none of the other cut scenes ever played.
I have tried registering on the Abandonia forums to seek help, but there seems to be no one there.  
Since then I have tried several times creating a WARFB folder, and creating and copying the various folders and files as described in your posts, here, and using the appropriate reg file.  But to no avail.  When I try this method, can't even get the game to run.
Can anyone suggest how I can be apparently so close, but just can't get the cut scenes + speech to play.  Can this be achieved without using the "virtual drive" with WIN95 or WIN98 installed.  I have a WIN98 CD in my collection still.
If not, a bit more info about how to use a virtual drive, and install WIN98 on it would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks in advance.    
« Last Edit: March 28, 2012, 03:56:22 PM by rbbane, Reason: Spelling mistake. » Logged
olly
Global Spokesperson

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: March 28, 2012, 11:50:53 PM »

Hi and welcome, I would follow my edit post at the top of page 1.

Edit by Olly *To play Shadow of The Horned Rat on Windows XP/Vista/7 please download this excellent AutoInstaller & ISO

http://www.oldgames.sk/en/game/warhammer-shadow-of-the-horned-rat/download/2425/

However best played on PSX Emualtion as more 3d and graphically enhanced

///////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

So since you now have the original cd from ebay, uninstall and delete all your existing SOTHR folders and use the above link for the AutoInstaller and have the cd in the drive when playing, so it can auto find all the cutscenes and sounds. Works great for me but prefer the Playstation version that came out later. Hope to see you progress onto the multiplayer Dark Omen battlefield soon. (This Saturday is our monthly Tournament, everyone welcome)

Smiley

and back in Nuln, the ageing Graf Berhardt smiled his secret smile of pride whenever he heard the latest tales of his eldest son's ever growing chain of glorious victories -(sothr manual)
rbbane
Giant Scorpion

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: March 29, 2012, 08:10:14 PM »

Thanks for the prompt reply Olly.  I did as you outlined. 
Followed your link and downloaded the Oldgames auto installer.
Removed all my other SotHR folders, and totally deleted the Mindscape key in the registry.
Then ran the Oldgames installer.  When it had installed, and it also had installed it's own registry values, I tried to launch the game, (with the CD in).  The game wouldn't even load.  Said it couldn't find loads of dll files, I think.
So I inspected the Oldgames\SotHR folder.  Found that the registry file only contained the "shared dll" lines.  No lines relating to the appropriate game folders at all.
And a couple of the Oldgame\SotHR folders were empty, when I'm sure they should have something in them.
So I inserted lines, (similar to other SotHR registry files that I've seen), and activated the edited registry file afresh.
Then tried loading the game.
The game loaded ok, but the intro scene didn't run, and as far as I can tell none of the other cut scenes either.  It appeared as if the game made no attempt to access the cd.

I'm sure I must have done something wrong, or missed a step somewhere, but can't figure out what or where.
Although not an expert, I am reasonably familiar with XP and it's workings, so equally I can say I'm not exactly a novice.

Is it likely to be anything to do with hardware, as my pc is pretty "top end", having built it last year especially to be able to play Total War - Shogun2 with all settings on High?

Thanks again for any more suggestions.

olly
Global Spokesperson

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: March 29, 2012, 08:28:46 PM »

are u using the oldgames C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Start Menu\Programs\OldGames.sk
Warhammer - Shadow of the Horned Rat.exe that autoinstaller creates, to launch the game and not using the CD.exe

Smiley  

rbbane
Giant Scorpion

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: March 29, 2012, 11:39:54 PM »

Certainly did.  Although I did try the CD exe. as well, just to see if anything different happened.
rbbane
Giant Scorpion

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: April 02, 2012, 10:29:02 PM »

After many attempts at getting the video and voice clips working, under XP, finally admitted defeat, (although the game works perfectly). 
Resorted to the virtual machine method.  Never tried it before so it was a bit scary. 
Tried Oracle - Virtual Box, but Win98 wouldn't install properly on it.
Then downloaded MS Virtual PC 2007, that also had a download for an "image" (or something) of Win98.  Installed MS Virtual Machine no trouble, and after one or two minor hickups setting it up, ran Win98 with out a problem.  Can't even say that Win98 installed.  It just seemed to run!
Shadow of the Horned Rat, as you might expect, installed and ran perfectly on the Win98 virtual machine, video and voice clips an' all.  I even copied the "Speech" and "Animation" folders from the CD into the appropriate places in the game folder.  Then the game ran the video and voice clips without even accessing the CD.
Have even managed to get the Win98 to link with my LAN, so that I can easily swop files to and from my host XP pc.

But this isn't to say I'm not grateful for the help and suggestions offered by Olly and others. 

When I get to the end of SotHR I'll see how I get on with Dark Omen!?
olly
Global Spokesperson

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: April 02, 2012, 10:33:30 PM »

Cool, glad it all finally worked although I still would advise playing the Playstation version on emulation.

Hope to see you on the Dark Omen battlefield in the future.

Smiley

aqrit
Developer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #57 on: April 03, 2012, 05:22:55 AM »

For future reference,
when installing from the English v1.1 cd see here
( obviously for plain old x86 you would just use cmd.exe and not sysWOW64/cmd.exe )

the elven forest and... the game repeated the same mission over and over again

I've seen this as well, but it is passable.  
IIRC you need to kill all the units quicker or
not let one of the enemy units flee off the board or
not having some unit of yours wiped out or
something like that.

I think the dwarfs need to survive for the cutscene ? It has been a long time since I've played Sad
rbbane
Giant Scorpion

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: April 04, 2012, 11:42:55 PM »

After installing SotHR onto the virtual Win98, and finding that it played perfectly, (as expected), I thought I'd try something else.
Copied the whole installed SotHR game folder from the virtual Win98 C: drive to my actual XP C: drive.  Then faithfully copied the Win98 registry entries for SotHR into my acual XP registry, (after removing the previous SotHR entries).  (I'd already inserted the various WING files into the XP Windows\System32 folder from earlier attempts).

Surprisingly found that the game plays perfectly on my actual XP now, including all the video bits and speech!

And by creating an empty "REMOTE" folder inside the SotHR game folder, and changing the registry entry relating to REMOTE from "D\\WARFB\\REMOTE" to "C\\Shadow of the Horned Rat\\REMOTE" the game plays without the disc having to be in the DVD drive.
olly
Global Spokesperson

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: April 05, 2012, 12:07:33 AM »

Very cool indeed! Please post or link to the reg settings

Smiley

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Up
Print
Jump to: