April 20, 2024, 01:41:46 AM

Username
Password

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Shadow of the Horned Rat  (Read 81300 times)
Mikademus
Developer

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 23, 2009, 07:36:14 PM »

Perhaps, but I seriously doubt that the copyright of an unsupported legacy OS is enforced, and if you owned a computer with Win95 you technically own a licence already. However, it was only a suggestion about a viable solution, I'm not encouraging you to break infringe on copyrights. Anyway, SotHR is compatible with Windows98 (if you have a licence for that version of the OS and feel more comfortable with it) so you can always use it instead.

OldSchool77
Night Goblin

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 23, 2009, 09:09:39 PM »

Perhaps, but I seriously doubt that the copyright of an unsupported legacy OS is enforced, and if you owned a computer with Win95 you technically own a licence already. However, it was only a suggestion about a viable solution, I'm not encouraging you to break infringe on copyrights. Anyway, SotHR is compatible with Windows98 (if you have a licence for that version of the OS and feel more comfortable with it) so you can always use it instead.

Oh, by no means did I want to imply that you would encourage that sort of thing. Anyway, most ISO downloads for Windows operating systems are via bit-torrent, which I won't ever go near.

I will stay tuned for the installation guide that was proposed a few posts back -- thanks again Smiley
OldSchool77
Night Goblin

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 24, 2009, 08:57:46 PM »

Well, as fortune would have it -- my parents had a copy (that I had gotten for them) of Windows 98SE lying around. I installed on VM last night and have SotHR installed and running beautifully! I will start a separate thread detailing the differences between PC and PS that I have noticed to date.
bembelimen
Crossbowman

Who am I and how many?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: March 24, 2009, 09:09:16 PM »

Could you write a detailed Tutorial, how to install VM+SotHR?

"Sir we are surrounded!!!" "Excellent, then we can attack in any direction."
OldSchool77
Night Goblin

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 24, 2009, 10:17:03 PM »

Probably -- though I would like to play a deal of the game to check for stability first.
olly
Global Spokesperson

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 24, 2009, 10:43:42 PM »

I can't Wait to see if there are any Differences,

Thanks for Offering to Document your Findings.

Smiley

and back in Nuln, the ageing Graf Berhardt smiled his secret smile of pride whenever he heard the latest tales of his eldest son's ever growing chain of glorious victories -(sothr manual)
Mikademus
Developer

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 25, 2009, 01:33:12 PM »

Well, as fortune would have it -- my parents had a copy (that I had gotten for them) of Windows 98SE lying around. I installed on VM last night and have SotHR installed and running beautifully! I will start a separate thread detailing the differences between PC and PS that I have noticed to date.

Great news! Smiley Since I play on a PSP I personally think it is something of a choice between plague and typhoid. On PC the interface stinks, but you CAN do everything, on PSP the graphics rocks but a PSX has a more minimal input system and the PSP has even less controls than a PSX.

OldSchool77
Night Goblin

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 25, 2009, 03:32:56 PM »

Well, the interface is obviously one of the major differences between PS and PC -- but I wouldn't say it "stinks". Honestly, it feels much closer to the PC version of Dark Omen and, once you learn what click leads to what, it has a feel equal to the PS version in terms of smoothness. It is all up to personal preference in the end though, to which I am equally split.

More to come when I post the "differences" thread though -- I just noticed another one last night (wizards have "dispel magic" in PC version and casting a spell on an out of range target consumes magic anyway!).

Stay tuned...
bembelimen
Crossbowman

Who am I and how many?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: April 07, 2009, 05:00:13 PM »

OK I tried the game by myself and I got it to work on WinXP (funnily enough through an Linux guide (hint for Mika: XP+Wine should work))

Guide

• Copy RMORPH folder contents to your c:\windows\system32 folder.
  • Copy WARFB folder to C:\GAMES folder (or whatever folder you want, but then you'll need to change paths in reg file).
  • Create empty folder TEMP inside WARFB folder.
  • Create folder UPDATE inside WARFB folder.
  • Create folder BINARY inside WARFB\UPDATE folder.
  • Copy only files (not the folders!) from \WARFB\FILE\BINARY to C:\GAMES\WARFB\UPDATE\BINARY folder.
  • Update your registry:
    • Download the Registry file
    • Unzip the registry file
    • Open Wine's RegEdit
    • Select "Import Registry File..." from the Registry menu
    • Select the extracted file and click "okay"
  • Rightclick the exe and choose "Running in 256 colours"

You can save the file as registry.reg and double click it. It's important, that you adjust the path C:\\GAMES to the real installation folder.

Have fun.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2009, 05:10:22 PM by bembelimen » Logged

Bninja
Troll

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 14, 2009, 06:03:22 PM »

ive tried the linux step on my vista 64 bit machine and gotten the win.dll problem, any suggestions on how to proceed ?
0meg4
Giant Scorpion

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 29, 2009, 02:49:03 PM »

OK I tried the game by myself and I got it to work on WinXP (funnily enough through an Linux guide (hint for Mika: XP+Wine should work))

Guide

• Copy RMORPH folder contents to your c:\windows\system32 folder.
  • Copy WARFB folder to C:\GAMES folder (or whatever folder you want, but then you'll need to change paths in reg file).
  • Create empty folder TEMP inside WARFB folder.
  • Create folder UPDATE inside WARFB folder.
  • Create folder BINARY inside WARFB\UPDATE folder.
  • Copy only files (not the folders!) from \WARFB\FILE\BINARY to C:\GAMES\WARFB\UPDATE\BINARY folder.
  • Update your registry:
    • Download the Registry file
    • Unzip the registry file
    • Open Wine's RegEdit
    • Select "Import Registry File..." from the Registry menu
    • Select the extracted file and click "okay"
  • Rightclick the exe and choose "Running in 256 colours"

You can save the file as registry.reg and double click it. It's important, that you adjust the path C:\\GAMES to the real installation folder.

Have fun.

Hi! i followed all the steps but i couldnt play, im not well versed in manipulating the PC, then maybe i lost something here

i got lost about the wine reg'sedit, since i really dont know about it, it opened on a site, and i still think i have to dl something (i think im beeing totally noob here).
Then the file i downloaded the reg one, i extracted on the folder of the game, ok, then i roll the autoplay from the cd, it appears the "play" option, but then it say's:

"This application has failed to start because WING32.dll was not found.
 Re-installing the application may fix this problem."

Could you please help me out?
Peace!
bembelimen
Crossbowman

Who am I and how many?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: June 29, 2009, 05:17:40 PM »

If you're using Windows, you don't need WINE. Click on the spoiler, there is the content of the file you need. Adjust the paths to you SotHR path and save it as "registry.reg". Then double click it and windows will "install" it by itself.

0meg4
Giant Scorpion

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 29, 2009, 09:10:17 PM »

If you're using Windows, you don't need WINE. Click on the spoiler, there is the content of the file you need. Adjust the paths to you SotHR path and save it as "registry.reg". Then double click it and windows will "install" it by itself.

Thanks for your attention ADM, im feeling bad about this but the spoiler you said, i dont know what line ( or lines ) i have to change, i have the folder of the game in c:\GAMES\WARFB , could you help me out?
0meg4
Giant Scorpion

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 29, 2009, 09:29:42 PM »

Ok, let me be more specific, because maybe theres something im missing, the folder is GAMES\WARFB

so here:

Copy RMORPH folder contents to your c:\windows\system32 folder.(what i did here is opened the RMORPH folder and copied all files in there, which is 2 files and a folder, then i pasted in the respective folder (system32)
Copy WARFB folder to C:\GAMES folder (or whatever folder you want, but then you'll need to change paths in reg file). (i did copy the hole folder and pasted on C:\GAMES\)
Create empty folder TEMP inside WARFB folder. (did it)
Create folder UPDATE inside WARFB folder. (did it, empty as well, there's nothing inside)
Create folder BINARY inside WARFB\UPDATE folder. (did it )
Copy only files (not the folders!) from \WARFB\FILE\BINARY to C:\GAMES\WARFB\UPDATE\BINARY folder. ( ok this is confusing because there ARE folders inside the Binary folder too, so i need to get inside those 3 folders and copy/paste the files as well as the files that are inside the BINARY folder??? what i did here was only get the files and leave those 3 folders and files inside alone)
Update your registry:
Download the Registry file ( i dl'ed it)
Unzip the registry file ( i unziped it and the file inside "sothr" does nothing... i unziped on desktop, inside GAMES folder and inside WARFB too and it didnt work)
Open Wine's RegEdit ( ok im supposed to leave this and stop here?? and only save the SPOILERS one and save the hole text on notepad then save the file on WARFB, click on it twice?, because if its that, theres something wrong, the messege i get when i double click the registry.reg file is " Adding information ... (blah blah blah) Are you sure you want to continue?" then i click yes "then instantly another window appear "The keys and values contained in C:\GAMES\WARFB\registry.reg have been successfully added to the registry." that's all and no installation processes or game running =( )
Select "Import Registry File..." from the Registry menu
Select the extracted file and click "okay"
Rightclick the exe and choose "Running in 256 colours"
« Last Edit: June 29, 2009, 09:41:08 PM by 0meg4 » Logged
Kypper
Mummy

Bones and bones and bones ripping your flesh !

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 30, 2009, 01:13:41 PM »

Well, my Horned Rat works well with my XP sp3, without doing all this stuff.

?_?

See you, space scorpion !
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Up
Print
Jump to: