March 19, 2024, 07:11:07 AM

Username
Password

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Real-time Tactics games of interest  (Read 35498 times)
Mikademus
Developer

View Profile
« on: September 08, 2008, 10:20:57 PM »

I've just came across a game called "XIII Century: Death or Glory", which seems like an interesting title. It seems to be a take on Total War, that it, a fully tactical real-time wargame with a realistic setting. Like Mark of Chaos it seems to emphasise close-up cameras over a more distanced view, which always is problematic for tactical control. However, the interface seems relatively well thought-through and somewhat inspired by Dark Omen:

bembelimen
Crossbowman

Who am I and how many?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2008, 10:40:15 AM »

The description sounds nice like:

Stats aren't much help when it comes to dealing with battlefields, though. Maps here are so intricately detailed that you have to use the terrain to your advantage in order to have a chance at victory

[...]

Each is packed with hills that provide great positions for archers, paths that allow cavalry units to pull off sneaky flanking maneuvers, rivers that let you set up almost impregnable defenses, and so forth

But the screenshots are cluttered and confusing, I hope they will change the camera.

PS: the link

"Sir we are surrounded!!!" "Excellent, then we can attack in any direction."
Mikademus
Developer

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2008, 04:26:29 PM »

Yeah, they are a bit confused, and they are still the best screen shots I could find. Most of the others were very close-up to the "action", which makes for nice images but very poor game play. Also, they seem to have designed their graphics for free camera and low tilt angles (since the skies are detailed and trees are modelled to be looked on from the side), which, again is a poor choice for tactical games.

Ghabry
Developer

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2008, 04:47:05 PM »

How "tactical" is the game?

The screenshots look more like an uncontrolled fight between thousands of units Wink (how can you control so many regiments (in the third screen it looks like 18 regiments))

Mikademus
Developer

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2008, 05:12:09 PM »

I agree, it does, and it made me think of Mark of Chaos. I was going to get the game, but then I noticed one thing: it is protected by Starforce. Forget me buying the friggin' thing. Made a post about it on their site (using the name Wellington):

http://forum.1cpublishing.eu/showthread.php?t=3843

Ghabry
Developer

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2008, 05:53:15 PM »

Starforce is the most horrible copy protection ever.

And the persons who download the game illegal get a clean game without starforce -.-

DjLeBomb
Halberdier

"Fire walk with me"

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2008, 02:20:22 AM »

What its your former opinion of this game Mikademus? i read the discussion you have with the moderators of the forum game and it seems like the malware thing can be resolved, its this correct? the game looks great and it would be great to play it, if my machine don't become a zombie after install it

"Of course you should fight fire with fire. You should fight everything with fire." Jaya Ballard, task mage.
Flak
Super Moderator

Jake Nielsen

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2009, 11:08:52 PM »

When it comes to Real-Time in large scale then i prefer Cossacks Back to War
but as for regimental tactical combat i my mind nothing has an scratch on Dark Omen

"There is only one way out of hell, thats through it" -- General Patton

"Just because a mage wears the Black Robes, does not make him evil." -- Raislin Magere

"Evil Turns upon it self" -- Paladine
Mikademus
Developer

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2009, 03:03:18 AM »

Bomb, I actually still haven't played it to any significant extent, perhaps I should. Otherwise I have to agree with Flak, DO is still the best regimental tactical wargame. Shogun: Total War is perhaps equally good (the combat sequences of the game) but has another scope and focus, while DO almost perfectly captures the style and mood of the Warhammer TT game. And engrossing and cerebral as realism can be, just as satisfying but in a more hysterical and think-on-your-feet-tactical way can a Warhammer session be.

Otherwise I still think that "Sid Meier's Gettysburg!" is one of the absolute best RTT titles of all times, and that "Nexus: The Jupiter Incident" is well worth checking out for an alternative RTT set in space.

Flak
Super Moderator

Jake Nielsen

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2009, 11:53:52 AM »

i will have to try out sid meiers's gettysburg, ive been looking for a good new game

"Just because a mage wears the Black Robes, does not make him evil." -- Raislin Magere

Mr Mudkipling
Giant Scorpion

Please don't sue me Nintendo/Mr Kipling!

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2009, 08:08:33 PM »

Hey guys,
I've actually played XIII Century, a few years ago I think. It's a lot like Dark Omen, but on a much larger scale, it definitely forces you to use units carefully, flanking and whatnot, and it plays pretty well. I sold it not that long ago because it lacks the longevity of most similar games.

If you're interested in regimental RTS games, you might like http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Knights_and_Merchants or its expansion. It's a very addictive game that has buildings, like those in Age of Empires or Starcraft, but the use of units is far more important. You have the general types, archers, swordsmen and knights, and you have to use them like in Dark Omen as a unit to destroy your opponents village/base. It's got a decent, original storyline and the occational cutscene, that I still find brilliant, even 10 years on.

This is my signature.
Kypper
Mummy

Bones and bones and bones ripping your flesh !

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2009, 12:35:47 AM »

I played all the Close Combat serie (WW2 game). 'Was good.

The 3 is the best, playing russians ; and you will learn how to flank Tigers in Stalingrad with your poor, poor infantery to get a little tiny chance to damage these monsters Tongue

See you, space scorpion !
Flak
Super Moderator

Jake Nielsen

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: February 19, 2009, 12:03:43 PM »

ah kypper i warms by heart to see Close combat is the ultimate tactical modern warfare game, i still play them 3 to 5 that is 1 and 2 wont work. Yeah the russian front is the best, altho from a realistic point of view i guess cc5 is the most realistic because the units have the hisortical units in their arsenal.

Ive made Operation Weserübung for cc3 hehe the attack on Denmark with the greatly fictional input that a fight was put up lol Wink
« Last Edit: February 19, 2009, 12:10:44 PM by Flak » Logged

Mikademus
Developer

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 19, 2009, 11:29:52 PM »

Indeed, the Close Combat series is a great set of games! For a faster rush I could recommend Sudden Strike I & 2 (at least I think they are called that, or where they those Helicopter games from the 80's?), but they are a little bit too close to the RTS template for me to really enjoy.

Flak
Super Moderator

Jake Nielsen

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: February 20, 2009, 12:17:55 AM »

Sudden Strike is good but it has a tendency to turn into a mad massed attack with no real tactics

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
Print
Jump to: