April 25, 2024, 08:58:04 AM

Username
Password

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 10   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Hangover Cure...  (Read 77294 times)
olly
Global Spokesperson

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: December 19, 2012, 07:34:29 PM »

" I Fear the Enemy" is what i would say, seeing 5000 advancing!

Smiley

and back in Nuln, the ageing Graf Berhardt smiled his secret smile of pride whenever he heard the latest tales of his eldest son's ever growing chain of glorious victories -(sothr manual)
Smurf
Developer

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: December 19, 2012, 08:09:15 PM »

Hah. I had that happen to me back when I did Viking re-enactment, at the biggest battle I ever took part in and I saw 300 soldiers walking out opposite and I could have let my bladder fail right there and then, and if 20000 spectators were not watching me I would have too.

The person next to me asked, "Have you seen our line?" - I stepped forward so I could look it up and down, and returned to my spot thinking, "This is epic!".

Then when battle commenced, of all the re-enactment I ever did, never did I ever die as fast as that day!

-*-

I really would like to be able to handle 10000+ soldiers on a side but I think the reality is that by the time the game is complete we'll probably be looking at 2000 on the battlefield in a big battle during the campaign setting given the low system requirements of my target machinery.

As mentioned earlier though the game will be moddable and with the graphics being quite customisable in theory it should be possible to play very large epic battles.

The work I did today should allow me to de-couple the units on to their own threads for multi-core support, and that will have a big positive impact on performance.

-*-

We need a name...  Have you any suggestions?

Somewhere between awesome and irresponsible.
Smurf
Developer

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: December 20, 2012, 06:03:45 PM »

I would not call the combat anywhere near finished, but there be death!

* rtsa21.jpg (166.76 KB. 1022x596 - viewed 756 times.)

Smurf
Developer

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: December 20, 2012, 08:18:07 PM »

* bat1.jpg (167.64 KB. 1021x598 - viewed 876 times.)

* bat2.jpg (182.14 KB. 1021x598 - viewed 679 times.)

* bat3.jpg (172.41 KB. 1021x598 - viewed 707 times.)

* bat4.jpg (158.03 KB. 1021x598 - viewed 881 times.)

Smurf
Developer

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: December 20, 2012, 08:19:18 PM »

* bat5.jpg (160.63 KB. 1021x598 - viewed 701 times.)

Still lots more to do, but the behaviour of the units is about 70% of the way there, for melee anyway.  I havn't started ranged or special attacks yet.

olly
Global Spokesperson

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: December 20, 2012, 11:14:32 PM »

The latest screen shots of melee are truely outstanding, I can't wait to play!

Smiley

(have been thinking of a few names but it's harder than I thought to find original names that sound right and describe the game)

Tactics of War
Division of Power
Fighting Factions

and back in Nuln, the ageing Graf Berhardt smiled his secret smile of pride whenever he heard the latest tales of his eldest son's ever growing chain of glorious victories -(sothr manual)
Smurf
Developer

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: December 20, 2012, 11:29:35 PM »

The best hit so far is Tactics of War, although I think tactics is wrong.  I want something that makes it feel truly epic - I was thinking along the lines of "Epic Battles".  But "Epic War" might be better, although I like the sound of the "of War", maybe Epic Battles of War.

Although these are all generic, perhaps we need a story for the campaign that might give it a theme, and the name might derive from that.

EDIT: Legions of War ?

Smurf
Developer

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: December 20, 2012, 11:45:43 PM »

Melee is done, just starting to work on the monsters.

Test Battlepowered by Aeva

olly
Global Spokesperson

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: December 21, 2012, 12:39:03 AM »

Nice Vid. How can I sleep tonight thinking of " What was, what will be, and what is"  as all so fantastic!

Smiley

Smurf
Developer

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: December 21, 2012, 12:41:53 AM »

Well don't go to be yet, i'm uploading a night battle of Dwarves versus Skeletons! Tongue

EDIT: But in fairness, that will be 30 minutes uploading apparently...

olly
Global Spokesperson

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: December 21, 2012, 12:47:09 AM »

I will certainly hang on for that, sounds cool.

Smiley

Smurf
Developer

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: December 21, 2012, 12:56:28 AM »

Night Battle - Dwarves versus Skeletonspowered by Aeva

olly
Global Spokesperson

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: December 21, 2012, 01:09:33 AM »

Now that was worth staying up for, thank you. Totally awesome day/night effects and seeing the skeleton warriors appearing over the hill looked wicked. Was great fully zoomed into the melee and I will dream well tonight of this game.

Smiley

hari8
Big'un

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: December 21, 2012, 01:38:50 AM »

Crush them!  Cheesy

Very nice work, cant post this all the time i read here Cheesy
Smurf
Developer

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: December 21, 2012, 01:11:42 PM »

Thanks guys.

I'm having a bit of a mare today, I've been integrating multi-core support.  The speed boost is quite large and it was well worth doing but I spent the last 4 hours repeatedly rewriting the way I handle dead soldiers until I got it right!  I think i'm about coded out and am starting to make silly errors, and I had best get some Xmas shopping done so I'm taking a break.

Before I leave though, here is an epic battle of 700 Dwarves fighting 1000 Skeletons.  It does not take full advantage of my laptop because there are only 2 units in this battle, and each unit goes to its own thread with a third being used for graphics, if this was broken up in to units of 100 it would probably have run a lot faster, but it was still adequate given I was on full graphics.

I think in the final game units will be up to about 200 or so - although there may be the occasional exception.  Of course if you mod the game you can specify any size you like as long as your computer can handle it - but units over 200 start to become ungainly to operate in such a fast playing battlefield, especially if you have a low leadership score in your unit.

Epic Battlepowered by Aeva

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 10   Go Up
Print
Jump to: