March 28, 2024, 11:55:37 PM

Username
Password

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: What are you're favorite units in the campaing?  (Read 33610 times)
warhammerfreak
Greatsword

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 25, 2009, 05:39:09 PM »

I really lofed my ogres, I think I used them in very battle. They are very maneuverable and cheap to rebuy, Wich is G swordsman's weakest point. I also liked ragnar and of course the ever standing flaggelants.

"Did you know that there are those days that  even my lucky underpants with spacerockets won't help." "Then u did everything that was in your power ."
defunkti
Troll

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 25, 2009, 07:53:23 PM »

Oh God, I loved the pistoliers. Only thing I disliked was because I got them so LATE.

They're such a cool unit.

And I wish there were "Grudgebringer Handgunners" in the game and particularly the campaign instead of the Cannon which sucks. Tongue

My cannon was destroyed in the latter part of the Campaign and while I continued without them, I noticed that I was better off without it anyway.  Smiley
warhammerfreak
Greatsword

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 25, 2009, 08:54:50 PM »

I think I used the cannon momst of the battles, it is the siege engeni that shoots the furtest.

"Did you know that there are those days that  even my lucky underpants with spacerockets won't help." "Then u did everything that was in your power ."
hari8
Big'un

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 26, 2009, 09:25:54 PM »

What you all got against the cannon?^^
warhammerfreak
Greatsword

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 26, 2009, 09:28:32 PM »

They need line of sight and it cant move is it's main disadvantage.

hari8
Big'un

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 26, 2009, 09:31:45 PM »

Hmm... Usually I stay near my cannon with may army.
warhammerfreak
Greatsword

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 26, 2009, 09:49:45 PM »

yeah but if the enemey wave isn't coming your cav has got to move forward and sometimes theres a hill or a forest and a mortar can shoot over it and a cannon can't.

Zywy
Giant Scorpion

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 24, 2009, 11:38:09 AM »

Flagellants are best from flank of back atack. They have very strong atack, but weak defence.
Elven archers are not bad.. in SOTHR they were avensome (firing arrows speed was 3 times faster). Single regiment have no chance to engage melee atack on them
RopeDrink
Orc Boy

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 04, 2010, 09:23:03 PM »

With exception to the Flagellants (Who are my utmost favourite unit) the rest are in no particular order.

Flagellants:
Small little regiment but their attacks are devastating - Nothing more satisfying than seeing a mini group of unarmored lunatics spinning their flails over their heads and making corpses fly all over the place. They're often my prime choice for Shield of Ptolos because (despite being cheap to replace) you do not want them to sustain too many losses, especially not from artillery or archers (probably their weakest issue). The fact that they don't even know fear is a huge plus but also sometimes a bit of a curse seeing as you can never manually flee them from a battle that they may eventually end up losing.

Ontop of that, I think their leader is one of the coolest going - Can't say no to a grey-skinned, bald, cut up lunatic to inspire his equally insane troops.

Ogres:
Fast, mobile, hard hitting unit - They can take quite a beating and the Orc voices are always hilarious to listen to (Fun fact, they had a slowed down 'Human' voice in the PSX version much like the Treeman does, which really sucked). They inspire fear (Big bonus to any unit) and overall they are a nice little powerhouse.

Mortar:
The reasons are obvious - This unit will form a hefty percentage of kills on every map beit single or multiplayer.

Soft Spot for Monsters:
As said, I've a soft-spot for the creatures and monsters of WHDO, especially lone ones. They are tricky to use as they are often singular units and with a bit of luck you can lose them before they do any form of damage though when used right they can be absolutely delicious in combat. Spiders, Scorpions, Trolls, Treeman (Spiders moreso than Scorpions because there is little difference except Spiders have 360oDegree vision which is a huge bonus) and Trolls are always fun with regeneration.

Elven Archers:
I hate to admit it because I love Willem Fletchers Crossbowmen, but that firing rate and range is just ridiculously superior to Grudgebringer Crossbowmen and it's often sad when I feel it's better to replace L2/3 Crossbows with a 1/2 Elven Archers for the tactical advantage they give. These things eat up infantry at medium/close range and have proven to be quite effective in melee at certain times thanks to their speed. Give me them over Elven Infantry any day of the week.

Wraiths:

Literally the coolest looking Undead and ethereal terror inducing bastards to boot. No magic weapons? Thats a shame - Say goodbye to your unit, then!

Brightmage:
Absolutely devastating and home to one of my utmost favourite spells in any game, the screaming/burning skull - This spell alone has given me so much fun and there's nothing nicer than watching screaming enemies run away on fire until they burn to a cinder.

Orc Big'Uns:
The most kick-arse infantry of the greenskins - Mean, Green, Fighting Machines.

UNITS I HATE!

Steamtank:
I loathe this unit - It's innacurate, slow and more of a burden than a help. The only time I find use for it is when I use it to block/defend a preferred unit by putting it in the way of incoming enemies so they cannot charge. Yes I know it can run over the Dread King but that just spoils the fun and requires a stupidly long wait - I never had to do this before and I don't intend to start. The Emporer can keep this bucket of bolts.

Zombies & Ghouls:
Absolutely useless. Undead that know fear? Inconcievable.

Knights of the Realm:
Bunch of pansies - I never looked at their stats but I always found it amusing when you go through the trouble of getting them and they happen to be a 2-Skull Regiment wereas Morgan, Sven, Ragnar and any other Cavalry start as 3-Skull. I always find they typically flee quite a lot.

Goblins with Fanatics:
In Singleplayer I can understand it when they are enemies as it has that 'Oh no!' factor when they mow into your units, but some people seem to think it's funny giving the player Goblin Regiments with Fanatics and 9/10 times they just end up killing half of my own army, it's stupid. Ontop of that, Goblins are absolutely useless fighters and cowardly. Even the archers have stupidly low range making them so hateable.

I could go on all day about each regiment but that'll do for now.
NOTE: All of the above is based on personal preference not tactical knowledge.
alavet
Orc Shaman

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 05, 2010, 09:20:22 AM »

ghouls are amazing units if they in corwd (3 regiments+) and have a chance to charge first.

goblins and fanatics are superior vs overcrowded eenemy armies, if they spam infantry. you have to use wise for sure, like only 2-3 head regiments, not everything in army.

hovewer they suck vs cavalry army/ or army with lots of mosnters.

p.s. wraiths could lose to an enemy even if he doesnt have magic weapon/magic. they can fail leadership check and just flee. classic example if you put them vs biguns + banner of defiance Sad
also they route intantly if charged from the rear

Battle not with monsters, lest ye become a monster, and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.
Mikademus
Developer

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 17, 2010, 09:27:26 AM »

Oooo! I can't believe I failed to see this topic before!

Well, my favourite unit of the game is--quite unlike RopeDrink--the Steam Tank! The wonderful lumbering inaccurate crazy assortment of wood- and metal armour spouting wild paint jobs, running an utterly unreliable steam engine, that can roll over enemy regiments, and even has a mobile cannon! How can anyone NOT love this doom-inspiring piece of madness? The only way to improve on it would it it had a dwarf from Myth sitting on top of it throwing Molotov Cocktails!

Jeronimo
Night Goblin Shaman

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 18, 2010, 12:32:29 AM »

Steam Tank shoot recharges faster than other "normal" cannons.

"Walking Tank + Less accuracy": is better because you can make more cassualties >>> When 2 melee regiments are engaged, shoot the enemy from the back at short-middle range, and they will take serious damage (and surely flee).

My favourite Regiment: Outlaw Infantry.
My cousin, brother and I have many memories about these guys, leaded by the brave one-eyed Jurgen Muntz.
-We are now 23/24! Oh nooo! Lets flee from battle!  Good times...
« Last Edit: October 18, 2010, 12:40:35 AM by Jeronimo » Logged
tristan de la tour
Troll

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 14, 2011, 05:07:57 AM »

-loved ones-

1- grudgebringer's cav.
2- grail knights
3- elf archers
4- bright wizard
5- helmgart bowmen
6- flagellants
7- ımperial mortar
8- mercenary ogres
9- knight's of the wolves
10- outlaw ınfantry
jvmnck
Giant Scorpion

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 26, 2012, 03:56:12 PM »

First, this is the holy truth:  Cool

Flagellants:
Small little regiment but their attacks are devastating - Nothing more satisfying than seeing a mini group of unarmored lunatics spinning their flails over their heads and making corpses fly all over the place. They're often my prime choice for Shield of Ptolos because (despite being cheap to replace) you do not want them to sustain too many losses, especially not from artillery or archers (probably their weakest issue). The fact that they don't even know fear is a huge plus but also sometimes a bit of a curse seeing as you can never manually flee them from a battle that they may eventually end up losing.

top 5 liked
-flagellants
-fire wizard (or bright)
-elven archers
-pistoliers
-ogres

top 5 hated
-tank (very slow, short range, no items)
-dwarfs (too late in the game)
-greatswords (because of flagellants and grudgebringer's infantry they have no place in battle)
-ice mage (no teleport and too late in the game)
-mortar (I don't hated but in the last 3 missions is quite useless)

the 5 must
-grudgebringer's cavalry (actually is the only one which must be always at the battlefield)
-grudgebringer's infantry (if you are smart is the only infantry that you can train up to lvl 3)
-grudgebringer's crossbows (unless you want many losses at the beginning, they are must)
-ragnar's calvary (is your second cavalry and if you don't get them you won't get staff of osiris)
-grudgebringer's cannon (makes the last mission a piece of cake, there are some missions that it must be replace with mortar or icemage)
olly
Global Spokesperson

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 26, 2012, 09:41:21 PM »

Nice selection!

Smiley

and back in Nuln, the ageing Graf Berhardt smiled his secret smile of pride whenever he heard the latest tales of his eldest son's ever growing chain of glorious victories -(sothr manual)
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
Print
Jump to: