March 29, 2024, 12:30:15 AM

Username
Password

Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Raise dead spell, XP and money  (Read 4571 times)
Demigan
Night Goblin

View Profile
« on: October 20, 2013, 02:56:45 PM »

Hello Everyone, I've been playing DO for a long time in the past, and recently I rediscovered it, also thanks to you guys.

Now I've been playing the missions, and I like to find holes in the rules and use them against the AI. I've used the fireball artillery trick, lured enemies one by one by using ice storms etc.

Now I realised that the AI uses Raise Dead to summon zombies in some levels. I figured I would be able to use it against them, by having them summon lots of zombies, and kill them over and over again for XP and money, as I assumed the money you earned was partially based on the amount of kills you made.

Now I just finished the first mission in the snow, as after you kill most enemies besides the Necromancer, this enemy has a high rate to spawn new zombie regiments in quick succession, a lot faster then Manfred does (I also tried this on him).

After a while trying, I am at a loss, I'm not sure if killing zombies earns me anything, so I'll ask a few questions here that I haven't found the answer to in the forums or anywhere else:

1: Do you earn XP and gold from killing summoned zombie regiments? If so, do you earn it only once or do subsequent killings earn you gold and XP each time again?

2: Fleeing zombies die like the little ******* they are, but do their deaths, not caused by anyone but their own running, count towards XP? If not, does it still count to gold?

3: If in the above question you actually do gain XP and/or gold from zombies (raised or otherwise) when they flee, does the Horn of Horbag or whatever it's called earn the using regiment XP and/or gold?

Yours sincerely,
Demigan.
haimerej
2. Place Tournament

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2013, 08:51:46 PM »

I would like to know the answers to some of those questions too.
And welcome to dark omen! This game is so much fun, I love to come back and revisit it now and then. The mods that these guys make are so amazing too!
Demigan
Night Goblin

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2013, 08:34:26 AM »

Thanks Haimerej,

I did a few tests with my brother yesterday. We found out that, at least in multiplayer, you do not get any gold or XP for killing zombies, even though the kills are recorded.
We tested it by using 3 level 3 vampires with the standard 3 magic buffs to maximise the amount of chance on a raise dead spell (using  a money cheat for more vampires would have been better but we had 100% of the time at least one raise dead spell)
Then the other team used magic and arrows to decimate the zombies as fast as I could summon them. If you intent to do something similar yourself, I suggest taking a cheap 4th regiment and equipping it with a spelleater shield (it can be one dropped by your opponent so he can keep supplying mana). At the end, kill all vampires (use orcs with Morks banner for 100% quick success)
After that,  do the same scenario, only you kill the vampires instantly. You will see that your XP and gold will the the exact same as in the scenario where you killed all the zombies (assuming you didn't get any gold chests)

So at least in Fair Omen Multiplayer, you earn no gold or XP from it. Which is pretty bad in my opinion as proper usage of these zombies can potentially be very powerful. I used it pretty well VS orc/goblin shamans to keep them grounded for a short time while other forces get more time to get away/get in his way. I also use it a lot as an undispellable temporary wall, or to charge cowardly goblin regiments, throw them around the flank of the right goblin regiment and you can have all their fanatics spinning harmlessly around their own regiments.
When used at as a wall, nothing is more perfect for a nice soul drain or magic attack through their mids, they are the most expendable unit you can think off. I am even considering as I write this to try things like giving them the heart of woe at the beginning of the stage, they are easily routed and killed for a nice starting damage in combat. With any luck your opponent will just leave it lie as manouvering to get it takes time, and you can summon another group on top of the heart and do a rematch, something to try out later. If you have teleport, raise dead is loads better then the fire field of the bright mage VS archer regiments, stops them firing instantly, they can't run out of it and if you are lucky you can do a backstab on them, hopefully routing them in the process.

I think you should earn something from summoned zombies, absolutely not much, but something.
Still need to see a way to test this in single player now.

Yours sincerely,
Demigan.
olly
Global Spokesperson

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2013, 10:03:35 PM »

Welcome and great topic - will test this weekend as very interesting. Keep up the good work!

Smiley

and back in Nuln, the ageing Graf Berhardt smiled his secret smile of pride whenever he heard the latest tales of his eldest son's ever growing chain of glorious victories -(sothr manual)
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: