March 29, 2024, 12:37:47 PM

Username
Password

Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Questions and thoughts on singleplayer campaing + Fireball trick  (Read 5844 times)
alavet
Orc Shaman

View Profile
« on: August 18, 2010, 10:33:42 AM »

Recently i finished DO original campaing on my laptop with best graphic. it was funny.
what i noticed:
you wouldn't be able to reach lvl4 for more than 2-3 regiment max Sad
i had my cavalry mainly maxed + mage only, even though i tried to "help" everyone. My swordmen and infantry has middle experience at the final mission.

- cavalry usually getting way more experience than infantry, cause they can better pususe and also they - can attck from the rear and GET an easy pursue
- the main artifact for experience gather is a banner of lightings. i didnt gave any artifacts to my cavalry and still it get huge exp. so artifacts helping you to get experience but not easy solution.
- fire mage really ROCKS. what i did is a specially lost at Nagash mission (deployed only cavalry and routed to lose) to see if it can appear at final mission (i initially also wanted to "lose" grail mission but forgot about it).
SO:
i killed hand of Nagash at final mission with 1 meteor.
when Dread King went to me at final mission i also used x2 meteors (4 mana) and on second meteor he died.
- funny thing: at mission of defending elven obelisk inside dark woods i could pull a fireball with a mge for a distance of like a elven bowmen shoot.
how to do it (i think it somehow correlated with 3d engine): i tried to kil lan obelisk and see if there is any artifacts (lol). so initially i fired fireballs here, marked "X":
 __/\
__/_\
X/___\

but then i zoomed in my camera and eventually fired it like that:
 _X/\
__/_\
_/___\

then my fireball shooted very far away, just like mortiar (still less distance).
i think it could open some itresting ideas for modding but dont know how to use it Smiley

-last mision not that hard at all. i finished it from the 2nd attempt (forgot about nagash at first time:)). you just need to initially attack mummies with some infantry and then charge with one or 2 regiments from the rear. very usually they route and die.
also mummies near the pyramide is a subject of free sniping via elven bowmen or crossbowmen (and canon, but it suck). + free meteors is allowed - they will stay.
i didnt used crossbowmen though, nor i used additional canon. Flagellants the only regiment died there (sad)

-banner of defiance usually bad to have on cavalry and even bad for infantry, cause if they're gettign pressured hard you cant save them from death usually. i rate this artifact bad for singplayer, unless grail/final mission

questions:
-its not much connected with singleplayer but i noticed attack from the rear seems like could work only first time. Once engaged from the rear it seems they kidna immune for that attack. OR perhars they stay immune by the end of the round., cause we know Wraiths still get routed if you attack them fro mthe rear, but usually you dont have so many regimetns to attack severakl times. Hovewer at campaingi usually had 2-3 regiemtns waiting to atatck fro mthe rear and as i said seems liek there is no effect of attacking several times form the rear at the same round.

-how can i get additional knigts (bretonia one?). I helped elves, as i remembred i shouldnt do that?

-where to get osiris? i bet it should be at some house/ rock but i never found it at my DOP career.
-where to get book of ashur? i eventualy missed it.

Battle not with monsters, lest ye become a monster, and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.
alavet
Orc Shaman

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2010, 01:40:12 PM »

also, i guess it is possible to losing EVERY other mission and still get to the final one? I want to do that just to hear this hillarious dialogues between main hero and his servant, "viper" (as he called in russian speech file)

dialogue after losing to nagash was very fun. the main hero looks rather dumb thogh, cause he usually just screaming "kill the zombies! we will clean our sword of their bodies" etc.. he is such a killer Smiley but apart from that he is funny cause he stand calm against any accusation

Battle not with monsters, lest ye become a monster, and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.
Nitrox
Skeleton Archer

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2010, 01:55:25 PM »

Alavet Pistollier!
Jeronimo
Night Goblin Shaman

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2010, 02:12:18 PM »

Making tests, I also discovered the "magic ball catapult".

It can be achieved using the 3D scenario at your will. You cant target an specific place.
Example: I placed a Necromancer below the small hill in Border Counties (second mission, left deployment zone).
Cast Doombolt targeting the rock... the darkball will travel as a "Screaming Catapult" shot... with that unaccuracy Smiley

But killing with luck 1 guy, and spending 1 magic point that way... isnt useful for an important battle.

Also checked that Osiris ray, can kill you (using same procedure). Rotate camera in the proper angle, and the ray will "literally" strike your eyes.

PD: Why Pistoliers? Do you feel identified with them? Smiley
Ghabry
Developer

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2010, 03:10:21 PM »

I hope you will not abuse these camera bugs in multiplayer mode...

Book of Ashur: Shoot the house that has green smoke in Bogenhafen
Osiris: Attack the rock in the top-left corner of the Troll-Land (Ragnar) map.

You can get additonal knights by not walking to loren. But you wont get Elven archers Wink. The knights ask you in Vingtienne to fight some greenskins then they will join you. But because of a bug they will always join you...

Yes Morgan, Luther Flamestrike, Archers and Artillery get most of the experience during the campaign. Because these units are the one that influence how the battle will go on.

alavet
Orc Shaman

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2010, 04:23:05 PM »

OT: i felt bad that my icon was zombie but my status was pistolier so i chanegd avatar

Insert Quote
I hope you will abuse these camera bugs in multiplayer mode...

this is one of the really "pro" tricks and i dont see why you shouldnt do that. hovewer we dont know how to do that

its same like in starcraft broodwar "bugs" where you can
a) pass any "unit wall" if you pointed your workers behind enemy for the minerals
b) you can put lurkers on hold positions (if selected with overlord) so they willnt shoot, untill you realize that command
c) can go through minerals in special cases for terrans
etc etc...

its one of things that really exciting to watch.

Jeronimo
Night Goblin Shaman

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2010, 07:44:37 PM »

Is not camera bug, its scenario bug (at least if that is the name).

"Pro trick" between commas Smiley because its useless for the battle dynamics.
Few scenarios can give you this "option".
Its about finding a raised terrain and target his bottom, the magic ball will go at first, in the direction you set, but later you wont know where with exactitude will hit.

The camera has nothing to do with it... what Alavet did could have been done from far too.
But is more difficult to catch the good point.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: