March 28, 2024, 10:49:54 AM

Username
Password

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: few questions regarding mechanics DO  (Read 39912 times)
Ghabry
Developer

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: June 12, 2009, 02:16:56 PM »

p.s. and what is BS skill form meele units please advice?
Does nothing. Like the attacks for a canon Tongue
The Weapon SKill of a cannon can result in interesting close combat battles. Like mortar crews defeating Greatswords.

Kypper
Mummy

Bones and bones and bones ripping your flesh !

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 12, 2009, 08:07:50 PM »

The Weapon SKill of a cannon can result in interesting close combat battles. Like mortar crews defeating Greatswords.
Nope ! The cannon has is own caracs ! Wink (with a lot of 0)
It's something like TO7 WO3.

See you, space scorpion !
alavet
Orc Shaman

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 12, 2009, 08:59:39 PM »

p.s. and what is BS skill form meele units please advice?
Does nothing. Like the attacks for a canon

so why its diffirient from unit to unit? dont =get it.
also some1 said that on second level all units gets BS+1
why? how its usable at all?

p.s. and i also noticed some day u said that there is additional +1 rolsl or w/e when one unit outclass another (in skeleton example) is it something about number of sculs near the unit  or what? if so, then if level up gives additional scull it makes sense...

pps and what is regenration excatly does?

Battle not with monsters, lest ye become a monster, and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.
Kypper
Mummy

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 12, 2009, 09:30:19 PM »

so why its diffirient from unit to unit? dont =get it.
also some1 said that on second level all units gets BS+1
Well well well...
Warhammer is a world much more complicated than DO. A "great sword" boy have a BS3, but no bow. It's useless, but it's still in the game.
Zombies have a BS of 0 because they can't use these weapons (the rotting brains don't help to think and aim Tongue )
The BS+1 bonus was only for the ballistic regiments, the regular regiments got WS+1 (at least in the Horned Rat).

why? how its usable at all?
NO. You will never throw the great swords, kid Tongue

p.s. and i also noticed some day u said that there is additional +1 rolsl or w/e when one unit outclass another (in skeleton example) is it something about number of sculs near the unit  or what? if so, then if level up gives additional scull it makes sense...
It's not an additionnal roll, it's a point in the resolution of the fights. I dunno how the developpers did it work in the game, but it looks kinda obvious that only the people fighting count.

pps and what is regenration excatly does?
'Don't care. As I said, I don't think there is this capacity in DO.
Trolls sucks.

Mikademus
Developer

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 18, 2009, 12:29:07 PM »

Hard to say but I'm trying.
Remember that I'm a v6-v7 Wh player, not a v4 old guy. Grin

4th ed?! Heresy! 3rd ed is the only real WFB version! Cheesy

bembelimen
Crossbowman

Who am I and how many?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: June 18, 2009, 12:32:19 PM »

I wonder, if anything from the 1st ed still exists? Books/Paper anything where this rules are defined...
« Last Edit: June 18, 2009, 12:54:55 PM by bembelimen » Logged

"Sir we are surrounded!!!" "Excellent, then we can attack in any direction."
Kypper
Mummy

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 18, 2009, 01:40:05 PM »

You got me Grin

olly
Global Spokesperson

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 18, 2009, 03:22:23 PM »

I have all Rule Books from 2nd 1984 to 5th 1998

and Dark Omen is 4th as 3rd has completely different Stats.

3rd edition Skeleton Warriors have a WS of 33 etc..

4th Edition Undead stats are indentical to Dark Omen.

****UPDATE****

The common Troops of Dark Omen and 3rd Edition

do indeed share the same Stats.

Smiley
« Last Edit: June 23, 2009, 12:28:00 AM by olly » Logged

and back in Nuln, the ageing Graf Berhardt smiled his secret smile of pride whenever he heard the latest tales of his eldest son's ever growing chain of glorious victories -(sothr manual)
olly
Global Spokesperson

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 18, 2009, 09:05:43 PM »

I have also compared Shadow of the Horned Rat Stats

and they are also 4th Edition (1992) Stats. I closely examined

common Units to Dark Omen and SOTHR, such as Wood Elf

Archers, Empire Greatswords, Treeman, Orc Boyz and Orc Biguns

and they also share 4th Edition identical Stats.

Now that I own both 4th Edition (1993) and 5th Edition (1996)

Skaven Books, thier Stats don't alter from 4th to 5th editions either.

Which is why they are grouped as 4th/5th as they share same stats

but introduce new Magic (Magic Boxset 1996 5th Edition) and introduce new

stuff, as well as Army Books for Lizardmen and Dogs of War and even Vampire Counts (1999),

the last 5th Edition Book.

(If we ever want to add these ourselves, then the Books provide the perfect Stats lists for us)

http://forum.dark-omen.org/tavern/table-top-rule-books-on-ebay-t367.0.html

Smiley
« Last Edit: June 18, 2009, 10:20:57 PM by olly » Logged

and back in Nuln, the ageing Graf Berhardt smiled his secret smile of pride whenever he heard the latest tales of his eldest son's ever growing chain of glorious victories -(sothr manual)
Mikademus
Developer

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 22, 2009, 08:16:45 PM »

3rd edition Skeleton Warriors have a WS of 33 etc..

Typo? They have WS 3 iirc. 3rd ed uses the same 1--10 stats system as all WHFB editions.

olly
Global Spokesperson

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: June 23, 2009, 12:06:56 AM »

I was incorrectly quoting the Warhammer Fantasy Role play book 1986

and confusing it with the Warhammer Fantasy Battle Book 1987.

Having researched more, I now know the Big difference and can confirm

Skeleton Warriors have WS 2 which is indeed the same as Dark Omen.

Thank You

Smiley

http://forum.dark-omen.org/tavern/table-top-rule-books-on-ebay-t367.0.html

« Last Edit: June 23, 2009, 12:25:00 AM by olly » Logged

alavet
Orc Shaman

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: July 08, 2009, 11:15:22 AM »

i have some table book in Russian (dont know # of edition) but after playing with whfreak we found an interesting concept:

i had UD army with wraights, and he was playing orcs (with biguns  lvl1+ banner of defiance)

for some reasons i attacked his biguns with my wraights and prepaired to see how they will loose w/o dealing any damage. also after few rounds i attacked biguns with my ghouls just as support.

then after few other cycles ive noticed that my wraights died which made me at OMG?!?? mode. there wasnt any sneak attack on the wraights cause i routed every other regiment near biguns, so they didnt fleed cause of attack from the flank/roar.

but it brings up absolutely new concept for people that didnt familliar with table rules.
it possible that wraights will run away (and insta-die) when they fighting another standard (w/o magic sword or whatever) regiment WITHOUT taking any loses!

does any1 know how excatly combat resolution implemented for DO?

i see 2 main reasons how it was possible that my wraights fleed and died w/o taking any wounds:
before that let me introduce some rough rules of combat resolution ive seen at my book:
-each round every fighting armies (at one place) should decide which part of army is "loosing" and then looser have to go through CR [combat resolution] check vs his LS. to undestand which army is a "loser" its need to be checked for CR.
each army gains some points while battleing, and army with less points will be a loser (and diffirience between "points" will be added to the difficuilty roll for the CR)
points might be obtained:
1) wounds per round. every wound per rounds = 1 point (max 5)
2) ranks of regiment. if regiment have more than 2 rows (1row=4 units), each additional row will give 1 point
3) if regiment have a banner it have +1 point (doesnt specified is banner is magic or usual??)
4) there might be a "general banner" which also gives +1 point to armies in 20' near the battle
5) +1 point for armies uphill
6) +1 point for charing from the flank, +2 points from charginf from the roar
7) Huh? anything else???
i dont know how many of these points actually using at DO, but 1st and 6th one definately used

this CR is calculating between ?two most powerfull regiments? (if there more battle than 1vs1) and ?each? regiment from the loosing side should process LS check vs ?d12?+CR diffirence

so in my situation there might be two options:
1) either wraights failed CR since there was too many ghouls dead near them and thus CR was bad and wraights had to go LS check and failed
2) maybe its possible that wraights will flee in battle 1v1 vs biguns with Banner, because if the will'nt deal any wounds their combat resoultion would be:
0 points vs 3 points(+2 points since of 16 biguns=4rows; +1 from banner)
if thats true it means that Wraights have to deal 3 wounds (kill 3 biguns) every cycle, otherwise they have to go through CR check and if they fail they will insta die.

if 1) is true then my advice is: never involve other regiment in fight for your wights when you're battleing vs unbreakable units - it might cause YOUR wraights die
if 2) is true then my advice is: WRAIGHTS SUCK! dont use them vs unbreakable monsters.

p.s. as for wraights i personally will'nt use them vs unbreabale units anyway, since its much more like a cavalry unit which need to be aimed firstly to the weak-medium str. units. tasks for this unit is to take as many armies as he can, as while he is blocked by unbreakable units its impossible to use his whole potential.

p.p.s. as for "regeneration" issue: as it stated at my book, every unit with regeneration get additional dice roll which may allow to avodi soem damage. if puinch get through WO, then get through TO and finally get through Armour then there will be additioanl roll (?4?+ on d6, which means 50% that unit willnt take damage).

all ?" "? statements means that i'm not sure in that but its something like that
« Last Edit: July 08, 2009, 11:23:39 AM by alavet » Logged

Battle not with monsters, lest ye become a monster, and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.
Flak
Super Moderator

Jake Nielsen

View Profile WWW
« Reply #42 on: July 09, 2009, 08:44:34 PM »

Very interesting alavet

I would agree in any case if this rule is implemented in Dark Omen or not that Wraiths are no good vs strong enemies, better to use them to clear out weak enemies to prevent being flanked but they are not strong enough to be the main unit.

Wights, Mummies and BGK are the main troops for the undead

Wraiths and skeleton cavalry have to win the fight fast or they are doomed as they are too weak to fight a long fight

"There is only one way out of hell, thats through it" -- General Patton

"Just because a mage wears the Black Robes, does not make him evil." -- Raislin Magere

"Evil Turns upon it self" -- Paladine
alavet
Orc Shaman

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: July 26, 2009, 05:59:46 PM »

Gharby, is it possible to allow more than 10 regiments take in the game from one side?

Ghabry
Developer

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: July 26, 2009, 08:10:30 PM »

Yes, set all regiments to auto deploy. This allows to have more then 10 regiments on the map.
Big Problem: You can't move them around during the deployment time so they are at a fixed position (to change the pos you have to edit the BTB file :/)

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up
Print
Jump to: