March 29, 2024, 06:50:11 AM

Username
Password

Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: few questions regarding mechanics DO  (Read 39928 times)
alavet
Orc Shaman

View Profile
« on: April 09, 2009, 12:44:28 PM »

what excatly happens when i push button "boost strenght"?
why sometimes its hard to push and soemeimes you may do it with few cliks?

what excatly happening when regiment screams "we fleed (dunno what they say excactly) the enemy!"? - usually i see nothing happens, in russian version they scream "we frozen the enemy!"

Battle not with monsters, lest ye become a monster, and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.
olly
Global Spokesperson

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2009, 04:29:50 PM »

"To encourage a regiment to even greater effort during a battle,

repeatedly press the Hero button to boost their strength. This only

applies when a regiment is in hand-to-hand combat. This boost only affects

your current regiment and is only temporary. The Hero gauge shows the build-up

of strength boost. Only when the gauge is in the red zone will the boost have an effect.

Note that it will become harder to reach the red zone as your regiment suffers more casualties."

Every 30 Secs, a round of Stats calculations, occur

which determine the progress of the Battle etc..

Therefore, as the Hero Button is Pumped to it's max,

it increases the Unit's Strength Stats and effects the Result.

When a Unit cries out for Help, "Help us or we Fear the enemy"

that is an ideal time to Max their Boost, so I am constantly flicking to

each unit in Melee` and Boosting them up!

I personally find pumping the Hero Button, a large part of the game

and it certainly is another level of interactivity, that actually sways the Battle!

Smiley

(I will collect all the Data I have on which Stats and Post them soon,

as the Shadow of the Horned Rat and Dark Omen Manuals have great

descriptions of the Processes, including things like Armour Save etc

and of course how it relates to actual Table Top Rules!)

http://forum.dark-omen.org/singleplayer/sothr-game-mechanics-stats-t273.0.html

Smiley

« Last Edit: April 09, 2009, 05:11:44 PM by olly » Logged

and back in Nuln, the ageing Graf Berhardt smiled his secret smile of pride whenever he heard the latest tales of his eldest son's ever growing chain of glorious victories -(sothr manual)
olly
Global Spokesperson

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2009, 05:21:59 PM »

This is taken from SOTHR not Dark Omen but ...

ROUNDS

Once your regiment clashes with the enemy, the resulting combat is resolved by the computer

calculating a series of combat rounds. Each round lasts thirty seconds and during this period of

time, the computer makes certain combat calculations to see who is winning

HAND-TO-HAND COMBAT

In each combat round, the front rank of each regiment in the battle attacks. The regiment with the

highest initiative attacks first. The Attack characteristic shows how many times each mercenary

warrior can attack in each round. When an individual attacks another, the Weapon Skill of the

combatants is compared to determine whether the attacker landed a blow. If so, the attackers

Strength is compared to the victims Toughness to determine whether the blow caused a Wound.

If so, there is a chance his armour may save him. If this armour save fails, the blow hits home and

the wound is caused. NOTE: Some weapons give the attacker a Strength bonus during combat.

For details of these see Weapons on page 86.

If the troop has more than one attack, the above process is repeated until his attacks have been

exhausted. Note that each attack may target a different enemy troop if sufficient enemy troops are

close by; this is particularly relevant for monsters, some of whom can have as many as 7 attacks

per round.

After a round has been completed, the total number of wounds caused by each side in the melee

is calculated. If applicable, bonus points are added for any regiments which charged the enemy in

the flank or the rear. Once it is determined which side scored less, all regiments belonging to that

side in the melee must take a Leadership test***. Any regiments which fail the test will rout from

the combat.

***Leadership tests are subject to psychology rules, for example Dwarf Slayers will never rout

from combat. See the PSYCHOLOGY section above for full details of the psychology rules.

So....

1) The regiment with the highest initiative attacks first

2) The Weapon Skill of the combatants is compared to determine whether the attacker landed a blow

3) If so, the attacker's Strength is compared to the victims Toughness to determine whether the blow caused a Wound.

4) If so, there is a chance his armour may save him. If this armour save fails, the blow hits home and the wound is caused

5) If the troop has more than one attack, the above process is repeated until his attacks have been exhausted.

6) After a round has been completed, the total number of wounds caused by each side in the melee is calculated.

7) If applicable, bonus points are added for any regiments which charged the enemy in the flank or the rear.

Cool Once it is determined which side scored less, all regiments belonging to that side in the melee must take a Leadership

test***. Any regiments which fail the test will rout from the combat.

In the tabletop WARHAMMER BATTLE game tests are rolled by the players on two six sided dice. For example, a leadership

test is often performed to see if a regiment will rout (run away) from combat. If the result is higher that the

regiments Leadership value then the test has failed and the regiment will rout. In Shadow of the

Horned Rat the computer simulates these dice rolls.

Therefore always Hero Boost every troop in melee', as if Your Life Depends on it!

Wink

« Last Edit: April 09, 2009, 10:14:53 PM by olly » Logged

and back in Nuln, the ageing Graf Berhardt smiled his secret smile of pride whenever he heard the latest tales of his eldest son's ever growing chain of glorious victories -(sothr manual)
Mikademus
Developer

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2009, 12:42:36 AM »

Actually, if this is literary true even in DO, it means that the games ARE in fact (semi-)turn-based! Movement are in real time, but battles are resolved in turns! That makes these games kinda weird in design, but actually, it might be a good way of pacing a game - if everything was in continuous real-time then battles might be too quick for one to employ tactics. Also, it might mean less communication needed in network games.

* Mikademus has to think moire about this

DjLeBomb
Halberdier

"Fire walk with me"

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2009, 03:50:12 AM »

Cool weeelll this is a good time and post to make a teaser of a new section that Bembelimen and i are cooking! and to do it i will reveal  in the HINT a secret that i was keeping (can't make you a winner but really can help you to change the tide of a battle!)  Cheesy :

TIP: To encourage a regiment to even greater effort during a battle,

repeatedly press the STRENGHT command on the control panel to boost their strength in hand to hand combat.

HOTKEY: Press repeatedly the "S" key on the keyboard to boost the strenght of a unit on the same way that you can do it with the STRENGHT command on the control panel.

HINT: Are you a fan of the Strength Boost  Cheesy? Do you know about the "S" hotkey  Grin?! Then why don't you try to press repeatedly both the STRENGHT COMMAND (with the mouse) + the "S" HOTKEY (with a left finger)  Shocked??!!           DO IT! and you will be the fastest strenght boost shooter of the Far Far Old World!  Cool
« Last Edit: April 10, 2009, 03:56:21 AM by DjLeBomb » Logged

"Of course you should fight fire with fire. You should fight everything with fire." Jaya Ballard, task mage.
Ghabry
Developer

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2009, 04:02:39 PM »

OT: Olly, is there a reason why you often have strange line breaks in your post?

Mikademus
Developer

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2009, 05:51:56 PM »

OT: Olly, is there a reason why you often have strange line breaks in your post?

I think it is because he writes his posts in a word processor or text editor and pasts them into the input box here. That usually creates double line feeds for some reason... :-?

alavet
Orc Shaman

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2009, 07:53:24 AM »

ok guys another question:

how to calculate battle mechanics for wraiths?
i mean, they have not very superior stats but very hard to kill by physic weapons. how its possible?
or its just cause of they have WO=3 thats way it seems that they're strong?

Battle not with monsters, lest ye become a monster, and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.
bembelimen
Crossbowman

Who am I and how many?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2009, 11:11:10 AM »

They have a flag "immune to physical damage". This flag works before the calculation.

"Sir we are surrounded!!!" "Excellent, then we can attack in any direction."
alavet
Orc Shaman

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2009, 11:22:56 AM »

so they virtually immune to any physical dmg (incl. arrows and mortair?) and only way to kill them is to use magic or make them flee?

i actually remembered i killed some of them with physical atacks when i played singleplayer years ago but im not sure.

bembelimen
Crossbowman

Who am I and how many?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2009, 11:26:47 AM »

They should be completely immune to physical damage. I tested few months ago this regiment and it's not possible to hurt them without an magic item.

alavet
Orc Shaman

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 13, 2009, 12:05:50 PM »

what about i have magic item (like sword with fireball or stormsword) but dont use spell. will they die that way?

Ghabry
Developer

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 13, 2009, 04:25:22 PM »

Wraiths can be hurt by magic swords or spell (e.g. if you have a runefang they take damage).
And they have no special flag, they have special armor.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2009, 06:13:11 PM by Ghabry » Logged

alavet
Orc Shaman

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 14, 2009, 02:53:36 PM »

nice answer gharby

another question: at singleplayer ive noticed necro mage best spell which seems to be  hurting through antimagic spells. is that really that strong? what about similar spells of other mages?

i can say that goblin's best spell may easily be countered with 1 magic shield (lol).

bembelimen
Crossbowman

Who am I and how many?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: April 14, 2009, 10:01:55 PM »

There is some chance to hit through the dispel magic, perhaps it was luck.

Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up
Print
Jump to: