March 29, 2024, 12:48:51 AM

Username
Password

Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: changin spells in spellbook  (Read 21158 times)
Michal
Troll

View Profile
« on: May 30, 2010, 11:20:44 PM »

Hallo. I have started with playing this famous game and I have an serious problem. I dont know how to change spells in spellbook of my bright wizard. In any mission i can cast only dispel magic, fireball and teleport and thats all. In managing part of Dark Omen i can only looking to spellbook at new spells but I cant changing them. Thats sucks.  Please help me, I need to cast more powerfull spells than teleport.

btw : I have original version, and I am playing this game on PC with Windows XP. Thanks.
CidHalsey
Campaign Creator

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2010, 11:24:27 PM »

Simple answer - You can't.

Spells are randomly allocated to each wizard at the start of the battle. What you get, is what you get. A higher level and a certain magic item will allow you to cast more spells, thus increasing your chances of getting a particular one, but that's all.
lordbraprus
Crossbowman

wiiiii

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2010, 11:31:06 PM »

yeah like he said, i mean you tried to make your mage pass to next lvl ? XD it will add a new magic

ito maquiesves
Michal
Troll

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2010, 11:45:59 PM »

Really?  I have spend all day by looking on internet, reading manual and finding an answer. And spells are randomly generated.... Funny  Smiley Thanks you boys. I can go to bed and i will be sleep quietly.  Cheesy
lordbraprus
Crossbowman

wiiiii

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2010, 11:26:54 AM »

if "sarcasm" would be a warhammer atribute, iam sure michal would have 10 :S

ito maquiesves
cuthalion
Campaign Creator

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2012, 05:38:29 PM »

Well,
actually Editing CTL allows to provide your mage with spells at your choice in a particular mission.
The problem is the random set of the spells isn't removed from the book. So I failed to 'disable' a spell I didn't want my mage to have on a certain mission.
And besides, I didn't test what happens if a mage casts a 'duplicated' spell (given at random + is set in ctl), it may be nothing but may cause crash.
Darkmancer
Developer

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2012, 11:22:03 PM »

There actually may be a way round this.

In multiplayer at least it is possible to assign spells to a unit without giving it a magic book.  They key is that another unit on your or the enemies side must have the correct magic book(s).  For my mod BP, i used auto deploying unit with zero health.  As soon as the game started those units would die but the unit the player chose remained with the assigned spells working.

I can think of several ways this could be implemented in a single player campaign to make units have set spells on set levels, however the usual trial and error will be needed to confirm it works.

* Give the book to an  enemy unit.
* Give the book to a neutral Unit
* Give the book to an uncontrollable friendly unit
* Give the book to an autodeploying unit with 0 health

Cry woe, destruction, ruin, and decay:
The worst is death, and death will have his day.

[23:04:33] <*Ghabry> The internal design of Darkmancer is just strange
cuthalion
Campaign Creator

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2012, 03:26:18 PM »

* Give the book to an uncontrollable friendly unit

Can friendly units be uncontrollable? I actually placed 'neutral' units instead of friendly ones because I didn't want them to be half-controllable like it's in RoTD I tested a bit. But neutral units suffer from Banner of Wrath, unfortunately.

Probably I should have set a certain flag in CTL script and make them uncontrollable? I am not sure if it is possible.

Anyway, I will play with your suggestions, though I suspect that ctl will allow using spells even w/o any books on the battle field. Until now I had a feeling it was so, but the only battle I tested my Night Goblins with Conflagration of Doom was when enemy had Bright Wizard in their army. I will see...
Darkmancer
Developer

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2012, 07:50:58 PM »

Again this might apply only to multiplayer.

The game seems to use the ice/dark/etc magic book as a cue to load the relevant spell icons, effects,and 3d models.

The exception to this is certain fire spells, specifically any (fire) magic spell that does not require a 3d model.  These spells do not need a magic book, presumably because the effects are already loaded up for use with fire based magic items.

(burning head and conflag require 3d models)

Cry woe, destruction, ruin, and decay:
The worst is death, and death will have his day.

[23:04:33] <*Ghabry> The internal design of Darkmancer is just strange
olly
Global Spokesperson

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2012, 12:29:54 AM »

Yeah the mixed magic in Black prophecy was so cool!

I really liked the Spider's new Web Spell!

We should all play it again soon...

Smiley
« Last Edit: April 05, 2012, 12:39:25 AM by olly » Logged

and back in Nuln, the ageing Graf Berhardt smiled his secret smile of pride whenever he heard the latest tales of his eldest son's ever growing chain of glorious victories -(sothr manual)
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: