March 28, 2024, 11:38:29 PM

Username
Password

Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Campaign Re-make, advice needed!  (Read 4532 times)
Mr Shadow
Orc Boy

View Profile
« on: April 02, 2009, 09:28:38 PM »

Hello Dark Omen Forum!

I have decided to embark upon a quest to re-make the Single-player Campaign, and to make this campaign available to the Dark Omen Community.
However, before I begin in ernest I need some advice from people that have dabbled with this before.

What I want to do is this:
1. Change stats and units, both the rooster for the player and his opponents on the battlefield. (This is a piece of cake, I am very well acquainted with both wh2edit and wh32edit)

2. Change a few sprites and banners. (This is more of a challenge, and one I need to know a little bit more about; I have the right programs for the job, but I want to know if when changing sprites and especially banners if there is something I need to keep in mind.)

So I would be very grateful if someone would advice me in that, as well as in the following things:
Is there some way of making the install of the changed files easier than just inserting them into a zip-file, or is the procedure acceptable?

I don't seem to be able to access the first three maps in wh2edit, all I get when I try to enter them is a error-message;
 Runtime Error 103 at OEOC:071B. etc.
Does anybody have a clue as to what I can do about it? It's of no greater importance if I can't modify these three maps, but it sure would be fun if I could. Smiley

Best regards.
Mr Shadow.

”Die Uhr geht vorwärts und sagt Tick-Tack, Rommel geht rückwärts und sagt Taktik”
Ghabry
Developer

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2009, 10:23:16 PM »

2. Change a few sprites and banners. (This is more of a challenge, and one I need to know a little bit more about; I have the right programs for the job, but I want to know if when changing sprites and especially banners if there is something I need to keep in mind.)
You can use RDOSE or MDOSE for sprite and banner editing.
For new sprites you only have some free slots but you'll most likely have to overwrite some.
The filename that contains the Banners of an army is stored in the header of the armyfile (open the arm-files with a hex editor). If you change this filenames you should be able to modify the banners without replacing.

Is there some way of making the install of the changed files easier than just inserting them into a zip-file, or is the procedure acceptable?
Rob is working on some kind of mod installer to make managing mods easier.

I don't seem to be able to access the first three maps in wh2edit, all I get when I try to enter them is a error-message;
 Runtime Error 103 at OEOC:071B. etc.
Does anybody have a clue as to what I can do about it? It's of no greater importance if I can't modify these three maps, but it sure would be fun if I could. Smiley
The latest available Wh2Edit Version is a bit unstable and has some bugs so you can't load the first 3 maps. Use Wh32Edit instead (the battles are in GameData/1pbat/).

Mr Shadow
Orc Boy

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2009, 09:05:08 AM »

Thanks Ghabry, I will try the wh32edit instead of the older version!

About the Banners and Sprites; is it better to overwrite or create new files?
Has anyone experienced any problem with either?

Thanks again!
Mr Shadow.

”Die Uhr geht vorwärts und sagt Tick-Tack, Rommel geht rückwärts und sagt Taktik”
olly
Global Spokesperson

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2009, 06:03:14 PM »

At present we could add new units to the EngRel.exe, since the original developers

left 12 spaces/slots free, for potential Addon/UpGrades to Dark Omen.

For Example my repainted Dwarves, could be added into some of the

12 Slots but then there isn't enough room to add Whole new Races.

Therefore I would advise overwriting exisiting Files (after Backing Up), for Testing.

So my Dwarf Crossbows have been made as Originals but have

also been used to OverWrite the Original Empire Crossbowmen,

including their Banners and Portraits (Pasted over with the Dwarf's)

now I can add Audio from SOTHR using Rob's Excellent Audio Convertor!

As Ghabry states, Rob's future Mod installer redirects the game to look in

a Mod folder instead of the original Dark Omen folders, keeping the

Originals safe. Simply start up the Mod Installer and click on the  different

Pictures to play the various Mods (Original, Flak's Goblin, Dwarf Campaigins etc).

Smiley

« Last Edit: April 03, 2009, 09:39:24 PM by olly » Logged

and back in Nuln, the ageing Graf Berhardt smiled his secret smile of pride whenever he heard the latest tales of his eldest son's ever growing chain of glorious victories -(sothr manual)
Grend
2D Sprite Artist

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2009, 03:19:29 PM »

Well the thing is that you could just make a new army replace an old one.

On vacation
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: