March 28, 2024, 05:45:40 PM

Username
Password

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Wizzards have to make Suicide?  (Read 21457 times)
Jeronimo
Night Goblin Shaman

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: January 16, 2010, 09:05:43 AM »

"Raise the Dead" is a Dark Spell and "Raise the Topic" is just my phrase.

Enough of rhymes, time to read, what i have in mind.

BIND: The problem here is the Abuse of Strong Wizards.
When a player writes this, Strong Wizard won’t be able to stay far from your regiments.
He will have to be at 2 charge distance (move 4) or 1 charge distance (move 6) as maximum.
When is written must move straight to your closest regiment (no need to do false charges).
Once he is inside, he can’t go out, and if the regiment he is attached to is defeated or retreats from battle (white flag), he must move towards closest remaining regiments.
Can use Items and cast whatever he has, included teleport, but just around your actual bounds.

Wizards with BIND are allowed to pass from regiment to regiment (Chain Move), this means to walk around 2 or 3 regiments which are near each other. Although he will be able to teleport, will be only around the regiment he is attached at moment (or attached chain).

Conditions: You must have 5 or less Army’s Regiments. Enemy’s Wizard must be 4 Skulls Level.
Clarification: “Retreating Regiments with White Flag” and Zombies of “Raise the Dead” don’t count as owned Regiments. This way, players can write BIND only once per battle.

Bad or nice, tell me why, dont forget, to draw a smile Smiley
Ghabry
Developer

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 16, 2010, 01:48:24 PM »

Ok but at first I want that you add a "Follow regiment" function to the Dark Omen Engine...

Smile for you:  Shocked

Jeronimo
Night Goblin Shaman

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 19, 2010, 01:10:47 AM »

At least is better than Hit & Walk. Can cast magic/use items only if is at close range.. i ll write it better later.

BIND: This means, you cant cast/activate anything if u are far from enemy... that's would be enough.

Normal behaviour for wizard, except that needs to be close if u want to use him (inlcluded his items, no matter the range of Osiris for example).
About going straight to enemy... well, we cant remove that part Smiley (bothersome rule).

Im still cleaning some details about BUG word.. to make it simpler.

Demigan
Night Goblin

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 14, 2014, 11:38:29 AM »

Some people in this thread say that the Wizard was designed as a hit&run vehicle. It's clearly not, if it was it would ALWAYS have teleport. The wizard is more like a mix between a moving artillery piece and archers. Capable of cashing out incredible damage in short time but needs protection.

Let me comment on one of the video's posted here. In some of them you don't even SEE the mage turn up until the battle is lost. The player was literally just weakening you and hoping he could win with his forces. When he couldn't he shows up with a mage that generally just hops around the field, ripping apart any regiment by sheer time.

There is nothing wrong with wizards themselves. Their power is curbed by being just one person and their relative weakness in melee or when being shot at. Where it goes wrong is that he can stay out of shot from arrows and melee indefinitely just because he has a teleport spell.
No single unit should be powerful enough that if you haven't prepared it, that single unit (not a mass of that unit, just that single unit) can destroy your entire army. Sure, there is no 100% guarantee that you get this ability, but the fact that you CAN get the ability to destroy an entire army with one unit and patience proves it's unbalanced.
There are multiple ways around this. Increase the price of teleport, decrease the range of teleport by making it have either a maximum range so it can't teleport away/to enemies far away, or to have it be a 'visial range' spell that you can only use on anything in direct visual range of your caster like a cannon so your enemy will ALSO be able to see you regardless if you teleported away.
Now people will say 'you can use a spelleater shield/banner to counter it'. Yes and no, it doesn't protect for 100% in my experience, just elongating the 'battle'. You should also not be forced to protect those units from beginning to end just in case they have a mage in the background.
I would be perfectly happy with removing teleport altogether. Mages would become perfectly capable and powerful siege-support units capable of cashing out great damage from behind the lines with more accuracy and less friendly fire then archers or cannons ever will. With enough magic points you can also wipe out an entire regiment faster then almost any other unit can. They are pretty balanced without teleport, and it would make the gap between shamans/ice wizard (who cannot have teleport) and the necro/bright wizard/vampire smaller and fairer.

As soon as the mage is solved, people will turn to units as pistoliers to use as hit&run tactics. At least they can be countered by a nice big siege engine, archers (if they don't have Ptolos), a mage, a regiment as cannon fodder wearing Ptolos or some cavalry. They have a lot more options then 'another mage or spelleater shield'. If necessary you could build in some small nerfs to the character like having a less consistent 'charge', forcing a longer regroup period afterwards so other units have an easier time catching up. You could also make them turn around slower somehow so they take longer to aquire a target and to change direction to flee. It would still allow the hit&run tactics they are meant for but they would require more backup from other units to do so  safely.

Last but not least, any rule that forces one player to give up is detrimental to the game. If the player will win with almost 100% chance because of a single unit suddenly has to suicide because of, you know, 'rules'. People don't tend to want to agree with it.
If the player who defeated an entire army and came off with several regiments left suddenly comes to a standstill because of one uncatchable unit it's unfair to him. So whatever happens, the suicide rule or the 'Im gonna ***** up your day because I'll just abuse one element in the game', it's not fun for either one. We shouldn't be looking at creating subjectively enforced rules here, we should be looking at creating balanced units.
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: