March 28, 2024, 10:42:15 AM

Username
Password

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: FACTIONS  (Read 23434 times)
DjLeBomb
Halberdier

"Fire walk with me"

View Profile
« on: April 20, 2009, 06:31:11 AM »

Grin Yep! The Factions have arrived! http://wiki.dark-omen.org/do/DO/Rules/Factions

Well, it was on December i think  :Smiley, that i show to Bembe some house rules that sometimes my friends and i use to play with. Obviously it was only to collaborate with the creation of another rules because that first version of the Factions was not for competition. Then he told me to check out the old DOST rules and try to expand the thing.

So, i took two of my friends that are DO players  Wink Wink and we started to make drafts and brainstormings and to play boring testing matches  Tongue Tongue Tongue, but without beign too stricts with the times as you can see  Grin. Maybe is for that reason that later only one of my friends remained at my side in this little quest  :'(.

And finally here we are and through a pattern mix of some fantasy thematic, the armylists of the 7° edition of the WHFantasy Tabletop game, another rules (like the DOST and the 3000/10), a lot of game testing, something near to a common sense, and too much coffee, cookies, smoke and beer  Tongue...this rules where created  Cheesy.

We really hope that they serve you to have fun  Smiley, and if not you can always use it to help you create better ones  Wink.

Special thanks to the creators of the DOST, wherever they are, to the creators of the 3000/5000, to all of you that had battle with me on the tournys, to Mikademus for the wiki post hint, to Olly and his Ogre+Defiance combo revelation that help me to find the place to the damn hard BoDefiance, and to all of you that help to make this community an amazing virtual place  Cheesy.

Very Special thanks to Bembelimen for all the support, hints and advices and for his Zengentle kind of patience with our lazyness on the development  Tongue. And obviously to my great and close friend Lemons (is his nickname in the real life) for all  Grin. He is not even suscribed to the page only because he knows english as much as i know of biomechanic Huh? , but i got his compromise that, if the rules are well received he is gonna sign in and at least say hello  Smiley, but if the community low the finger... then he left me alone with the lions  Shocked!! can'u believe it  Angry?!

p.d.: The SFR are ready but the damn f*%&# wiki took 6 hours Angry Angry Angry!! of my sunday and in 4 hours i have to get up and go to work so :'(, i will post them tomorrow, bye folks!

"Of course you should fight fire with fire. You should fight everything with fire." Jaya Ballard, task mage.
Flak
Super Moderator

Jake Nielsen

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2009, 09:41:50 AM »

Ive just had a quick read and it looks interesting and alot of hard work has been put in to it that is very clear

hehe you bet these posting things take time, took me 3 days to post the dwarf campaign hehe Grin

"There is only one way out of hell, thats through it" -- General Patton

"Just because a mage wears the Black Robes, does not make him evil." -- Raislin Magere

"Evil Turns upon it self" -- Paladine
alavet
Orc Shaman

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2009, 09:48:33 AM »

looks interestign but unfrtunately i dont like too small armies
and seems that grail would be overpowered cause you may get another armies to your list

and what is HC-CHA and other things..

Battle not with monsters, lest ye become a monster, and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.
Grend
2D Sprite Artist

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2009, 05:25:01 PM »

Alliance faction with Elfs and Banner of Wrath seems a bit OP?

On vacation
Mikademus
Developer

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2009, 05:33:06 PM »

There are too few emoticons in your post, otherwise it seems like a solid and fun rule set!

DjLeBomb
Halberdier

"Fire walk with me"

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2009, 07:13:36 AM »

Done, here are the first Special Rules, without too many edition, i'm sick of the wiki for sometime  Tongue! more rules can come later.

http://wiki.dark-omen.org/do/DO/Rules/Factions/Special_Factions_Rules_(SFR)

"Of course you should fight fire with fire. You should fight everything with fire." Jaya Ballard, task mage.
bembelimen
Crossbowman

Who am I and how many?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2009, 08:53:59 PM »

Very good work DjLeBomb
It looks fantastic, but to say more words about it, I/we have to test it first; find all complex possibilities Smiley So I hope you're patient^^

"Sir we are surrounded!!!" "Excellent, then we can attack in any direction."
Ghabry
Developer

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2009, 09:10:58 PM »

Made a fight vs. bembelimen (Goblins vs. Vampires):
Was a fast and funny fight Cheesy (guess before watching the video who will win ^^)

Regiments:
Ghabry:
Night Goblin Shaman
Night Goblins
Night Goblins
Night Goblins
Night Goblins
Night Goblins
Gigantic Spider

bembelimen:
Black Grail
Ghoul
Ghoul
Ghoul
Ghoul

Dark Omen Multiplayer - vs. bembelimen - The Empire - 3k/FactionsLQ | LQ+ | HQ | HQ+ | HD | by Aeva

(and no discussions if it would be maybe better to use archers instead... thx)
« Last Edit: April 22, 2009, 03:16:13 PM by Ghabry » Logged

DjLeBomb
Halberdier

"Fire walk with me"

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2009, 12:18:49 AM »

Grin LOL great test guys! you took the 2 more controversial Factions and put them to a fight, that is the best and more respectful way to make an opinion in this matter, i'm very grateful and very happy to know that u like them.

Even we have made many tests and try to reduce the unbalance and/or conflicts to the minimum, we know that something has surely sneak from us, so the critics are most than welcome, but i hope that they try to improve or expand the rules and not to bury them. Anyway we are not going to discuss the creation of a law, so we don't have to be totally politics, but a little of respect for the efforts at least will be fine  Wink. Again tx for all the opinions.

Back to the point, the truth is the truth, the Black its very very hard, but i know that is not imba. The discussion its not if Warriors or Archers, the thing with the Goblin army is pay MUCH more attention to the Scorps and the Trolls, and obviously to the Fanatics. Usually in our tests we find that the best strategy with the Goblins, was one: go ahead and spread the chaos. How? Terror from the insects+Terror from the Trolls+Many Fanatics on the vanguard+Horn of Urgok. The Humans and Greenskins have many difficulties dealing with this combo, and thats ONE of the reasons for why we don't put the Staff of Osiris or some magic item that could help with the terrible exception that is the Black Grial or some resistance from others undeads.

Last but not least, if someone wants to play a match to test or just for fun with the rules just send me a PM, and we arrange the battle  Cool!

olly
Global Spokesperson

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2009, 12:50:23 AM »

The Honour and Artillary Codes, are my Favourites, very nice concepts.

Smiley

and back in Nuln, the ageing Graf Berhardt smiled his secret smile of pride whenever he heard the latest tales of his eldest son's ever growing chain of glorious victories -(sothr manual)
Ghabry
Developer

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2009, 03:15:24 PM »

Well, we made a rematch (Goblins vs. Vampires again) with a different Goblin-Army and an interesting result. (and the proof that goblins are to dump to regroup and to defeat ghouls)
My Army:
Night Goblins (+Fanatics)
Night Goblin Archers  (+Fanatics)
Night Goblin Archers  (+Fanatics)
Giant Scorpion
Giant Scorpion
Giant Scorpion
Troll
(hm, Wh32Edit isn't checking for Fanatics Wink)

Dark Omen Multiplayer - vs. bembelimen - The Empire - 3k/FactionsHD | by Aeva
« Last Edit: April 22, 2009, 05:47:45 PM by Ghabry » Logged

Flak
Super Moderator

Jake Nielsen

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: April 22, 2009, 08:17:04 PM »

hehe thats not fair, 2 whole goblin regiments leaving the battle, despite their valiant effort to kill all the grails

"There is only one way out of hell, thats through it" -- General Patton

"Just because a mage wears the Black Robes, does not make him evil." -- Raislin Magere

"Evil Turns upon it self" -- Paladine
Mikademus
Developer

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 25, 2009, 12:56:38 AM »

Enjoyed the last video! Didn't the game manual say that "intentionally flee is a dangerous tactics"?

alavet
Orc Shaman

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 28, 2009, 06:43:14 AM »

ok so ive played it with flak 3 times and my first intention that: yes, its interested and fresh but i dont think it will be usefull "in a long run".

i mean, there is no much tactic you may use in this ruleset. i mean, every faction only have 6-7 units, and there is few "core" units in each faction, which means that close to EVERYONE will use them.

for example NECROMANCERS will usually have at least 1 or 2 mummies + necromancer + some zombies; ALLIANCE will always only use elves and some blocking units; VAMPIRES  will always have a vampire and so on..

i mean yes now it seems good but after few simulations most armies of each factions will be the same. and after you will play each faction against each, battles will become boring, cause except enemy's faction you alway will know his army.

just my intention.

Battle not with monsters, lest ye become a monster, and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.
Ghabry
Developer

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 28, 2009, 03:12:17 PM »

I made 2 fights against Flak yesterday (no Videos, sorry Tongue) on the Goblin Camp Map.

He used his Alliance Army:
He told me that he trained with fights vs. Alavet so the army is more strong then usual (and an extra item -> Staff of Osiris).
Wood Elf Archers
Wood Elf Glade Guards
Dwarf Warriors
Wood Elf Archers
Vladimir Stormbringer
Wood Elf Glade Guards
Knights Of The Realm
Wood Elf Glade Guards

In the first fight I used NECROMANCER:
Mummy
Mummy
Necromancer
Screaming Skull Catapult
Wraiths

They had no change against them, Mummies routed (because they are useless without Defiance Wink) and Wraiths too. Necro and Catapult died because of Archers.

Second fight was more interesting with VAMPIRES (without Vampire *g*):
Black Grail
Skeleton Horsemen
Skeleton Horsemen
Wights
Skeleton Warriors
Skeleton Warriors
This army worked really well. He protected his Elf Archers with Gladeguards but they were routed because of the Cavalry Rush. At the end I had a Black Grail left and Flak the Knights of the Realm (+Wrath). So if he wouldn't have had Wrath I would have maybe won.
And I don't want to know a fight with GOBLINS would be against such an army Wink.

As a conclusion I would say that some Races are just too strong. I don't understand e.g. why the already really strong ALLIANCE has Items like Banner of Wrath or Ptolos. We need more testing for this.

Because Flaks army was trained I can't say if a fight with a new bought army would have another result. But I guess that the Mummies would still have a hard live because of Charge from Behind Wink (and my VAMPIRES army should have won)

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
Print
Jump to: