April 20, 2024, 03:01:26 AM

Username
Password

Show Posts
Pages: [1] 2 3 4
1  Warhammer Dark Omen / Tactics / Re: Power of Anti Magic Items and Dispell Magic on: May 13, 2009, 02:42:37 PM
I think the  mages dispel are more like chances to dispel an enemy magic, rather than the dead certain from the magic items.
2  Warhammer Dark Omen Community / Tavern / Re: who wants to play Dungeon Keeper 1-2? on: May 05, 2009, 12:52:39 PM
I speak English, but the only Dungeon Keeper I have is in French, so I can play it but I dont understand what the voices and text say. So I'd need to be told which buttons to press in what order to get it to work online, as I'd have trouble working them out myself. If you could find an English version, that'd be great; I did have one at some point, but it didnt seem to work.
3  Warhammer Dark Omen Community / Tavern / Re: who wants to play Dungeon Keeper 1-2? on: May 03, 2009, 09:42:02 PM
I have a working copy of the original, but its in French so there's a limit to how much I can work it... I'd need a step-by-step guide that needs no reference to actually understanding what its asking for.
4  Warhammer Dark Omen / Rules and Standards / Re: 5000/15 on: May 02, 2009, 02:04:33 AM
I'd want to Ghouls tested before putting up their prices; UD has been hamstrung by lack of decent lost-cost troops by the ppoints system up until now (assuming these changes all work), so they really need those the options of quantity where quality doesnt exist. IMO Ghouls frankly modest combat abilities and unreliable Fear (Toughness 4 no armour is actually equal to Toughness 3 and 1 armour, and 2 Strength 3 attacks is nothing to get excited about) are compensated by their poor leadership. Even if they were able to best Swordsmen in 3 out of 4 rounds of combat, that 1 they lose will almost certainly see them flee.
5  Warhammer Dark Omen / Rules and Standards / Re: FACTIONS on: April 30, 2009, 04:29:18 PM
-And to Warp: Man, i have not idea what are u talking, "Fluffy"? like the biscuit cakes with milk? haha  Grin lol ,my english is real bad  Embarrassed , i'm sorry, but i really want to know your point so, another words can be used  Huh?
'Fluff' is a slang term used in Warhammer groups to mean 'background material' and 'setting' and stuff like that. If something is 'fluffy' then it fits very well into the established world of Warhammer.
6  Warhammer Dark Omen / Rules and Standards / Re: FACTIONS on: April 29, 2009, 01:26:05 PM
Minor background point but Ptolos is actually a very fluffy item for the Wood Elves, as the 6th edition Wood Elf interim list was the last time that magic item appeared in TT Warhammer. But Staff/Banner arent any more fluffy for them and indeed, as pointed out, downright bad ideas because they are so powerful in an already powerful list.
7  Warhammer Dark Omen / Help Section / Sound problems on: April 29, 2009, 01:22:31 PM
Hi guys, ive been having this problem since I installed the game and its really bugging me now. I have most if not all sound in the game, but I find that at frequent intervals, the game will just vomit bursts of white noise over the speakers. It hasnt happened on anything else so im guessing its not a technical fault with speakers/sound card. Anyone got any experience with this problem?
8  Warhammer Dark Omen / Rules and Standards / Re: 5000/15 on: April 28, 2009, 01:30:53 PM
Ive seen Elf bowmen destroy armies, but I think 4 is still a reasonable cost; they're riskier than you give them credit. Much like Mummies and Black Grail, if you can neutralise the bowmen, the heart is torn from the army. Plus shooting isnt always that useful, at least not for all the game.
9  Warhammer Dark Omen / Rules and Standards / Re: 5000/15 on: April 26, 2009, 06:51:41 PM
Mummies by themselves are overcosted at 6 points; the Defiance Banner however acts on them as more of a combat multiplier than sinply something that stops them running away, at which point even 7 points starts to look a little low!

Vampire at 4 or more is fine by me; their speed makes them almost immune to mage's usual counter of missile fire when well-micro'd, as they can dodge your shots! They can also fight out well against some of the melee counters.

I have no idea why it was thought Skeleton Horsemen should be costed 3/2/3 because that is frankly moronic. 2/3/3 or 2/2/3 was the suggestion. Making people pay more for taking just 1 unit, combined with the Mummies cost increase, along with the general costing nonesense of UD, basically forced me to ditch my usual UD army as no longer tenable.
10  Warhammer Dark Omen / Tournaments / Re: Tournament May on: April 26, 2009, 06:44:46 PM
Sign me in
11  Warhammer Dark Omen / Undead Armybuilds / Re: April Tournament - Undead Armies on: April 26, 2009, 06:44:25 PM
Skeleton Warriors
Skeleton Warriors
Black Grail
Zombies
Zombies
Zombies

This yet another reason why I call Undead as they are costed now a 'fair weather army'; also look at how everyone who used Mummies this tournament basically had to take Defiance Banner to make them work, at which point they become insane. Black Grail armies do fine, as long as the enemy doesnt have Unbreakables and magic and/or shooting. Problem is, most people do. Black Grail are heinously overcosted for their fragility; if they dont get shot down on the way in, they hit Unbreakables and stop dead. At that point the army dies, unless the Black Grail can kill the Unbreakables before the enemy counters your tiny, fragile army. Basically, if the sun shines you probably win (and by this I mean the Grail has to break their target within 2 rounds of combat otehrwise you're probably screwed), if you hit any sort of snag you auto-lose. I managed to smash an Orc army with it due to an unusually quick disposal of Defiance-wielding Big Uns, and auto-lost to another UD, because of Vampire and Defiance-wielding Mummies.
12  Warhammer Dark Omen / Greenskin Armybuilds / Re: April Tournament - Greenskin Armies on: April 26, 2009, 06:29:41 PM
Gigantic Spider
Night Goblin Shaman
Orc Arrer Boyz
Orc Arrer Boyz
Orc Boar Boyz
Orc Boar Boyz
Orc Boyz
Orc Boyz
Orc Big'uns
It basically won me the mini-tournament earlier this month; its flexible, adaptable and powerful, without sacrificing numbers which is what kills many armies. It suffered its (I think) only defeat this tournament partly because of a very laggy connection and poor pathfinding AI leaving me bereft of the Boars and Spider when I needed them, though I played badly all tournament which certainly didnt help. That and Vampires with good spells are virtually unstoppable as they can even outrun most missile fire. Otherwise I've found it a very efficient force, and my altered versions of it dont do so well as this original version.
13  Warhammer Dark Omen / Empire Armybuilds / Re: April Tournament - Empire Armies on: April 26, 2009, 06:22:32 PM
Helmgart Bowmen
Wood Elf Archers
Imperial Mortar
Countess' Guard
Grudgebringer Infantry
Imperial Greatswords
Wood Elf Glade Guards

Its proven good in test games, but I played very badly against an O&G army with very long ranged rocklobba and got thrashed. Its the only one of my armies to defeat Alavet's usual Empire build so I know it works well, when it works at all (although I swapped out the Defiance Banner to get another regiment so its more flexible at a cost in having no 100% reliable unit).
14  Modifications / Troops / Re: Skeleton Unbreakability test on: April 20, 2009, 11:48:58 PM
Yes Alavet but Ghouls are extra unreliable because of their Cowardice trait and Zombies are destroyed when they flee hence why these 2 are 1 pts units

Skeletons lose many men but so would a goblin regiment with banner of defiance, thats how i think of them
Youre missing a vital factor in the 'speedbump' theory of bogging enemies down; getting stuck on decent units that arent unbreakable can slow you down just as much of not more, and inflict more casualties along the way on top.
Ive seen 1-point Human and Orc troops hold up an enemy as effectively, sometimes more effectively, than ive ever seen Skellies do it; the Skellies may not have the possibility of breaking from combat, but they have the certainty of just being bad troops. Yes, they'll get lucky every once in a while but you cant base balance on luck. Even when things are going well, Skeletons will still be bad troops whereas even Ghouls have the advantage of being decent troops when its fair weather.

Also, lets clear something up about Fear: it doesnt get better with units, its exactly the same regardless of quality. Its also only a factor when you outnumber you opponent, thus its greatly diluted by both the troops being crap as well as the points costing them too high. Elite Undead units cant use their Fear effectively because there simply are far too few in a unit and on the battlefield as a whole. As strange as it may seem, the most effective Fear-causing unit in my experience has been Zombies, precisely because they are the only UD unit that has 20-men basic and reasonable points cost. Does that make Zombies a powerful unit that needs to be increased in points? Hell no, the whole point is that Fear and that very cost are what makes them worthwhile; they lose either one of those advantages, and they're useless. Thats the point that Skeletons are at right now; they dont contribute to UD in quality, and their excessive points cost means they actually damage UD because you need numbers of models and unit, moreso than either of the other sides. With the much greater cost of their 'elite' units factored in, and UD are in a catch-22 whereby its difficult to have the support to make the expensive elites work, but they dont have the quality to make hordes work either.

Skeletons lose many men but so would a goblin regiment with banner of defiance, thats how i think of them
See this is what I find really frustrating. Ive just spent all this effort proving that this is absolutely not the case! The goblins will actually do a much better job! They dont die as fast (and have 4 more goblins than skeletons as base) and not only that, but if you choose archers you actually have a much better archer unit too (BS3 compared to skellies poor BS2)! The whole point is that by any measure, Skeletons are not good troops. They are bad fighters, they are bad archers, they're bad Fear-causers (compared to Zombies that have numbers and Ghouls that can kill enemies which raises the chances of Fear doing something), and theyre bad Unbreakable troops too (even compared to Banner'd goblins)! Their only strength is that they are reliable, but by most measures that reliability manifests as them being reliably bad. I might be able to bog a unit down with them but if I dont have the support to make use of this (hardly out of the question given Zombies unreliability and crapness, Ghouls cowardice, and most other UD unit's high points cost), they're a bad choice.

p.s. btw, warpghost, what do you think about cost for mages as 2/3/4 (increasment for every futher unit) just wonder:)
All mages should be 2 points for starters. As for the increment increase, whilst its true that subsequent mages cant use magic effectively, all mages are annoyances to kill off and once the other mage is dead, you have a repalcement ready to step up to the plate. So in strict terms they arent necassarily worth the escalating points cost, in the big picture its probably a good disincentive to potentially very frustrating gameplay.
15  Warhammer Dark Omen / Singleplayer / Re: few questions regarding mechanics DO on: April 20, 2009, 11:13:56 PM
I have now proved with the help of OllyOrc that Skeletons are indeed subject to this altered version of Unbreakable. See here for the results.

That's really good news! Could you connect this to one of the less well understood racial flags (f.i. the "Racial flag specific to Skeletons" Mr Shadow mentioned)?
Im not sure what you're asking. Are you talking about the racial flags other than Skeletons, or about the Skellie one?
Pages: [1] 2 3 4