May 02, 2024, 03:17:49 AM

Username
Password

Show Posts
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7]
91  Warhammer Dark Omen / Tactical wargaming and other Warhammer games / Re: Hangover Cure... on: December 11, 2012, 12:03:22 AM
Quickly threw in the human city before bed, thought I'd share some shots.

All settlements increase/decrease in size, by the simple expedient of deleting buildings.

PS: I seem to have filled up the forum upload folder with these shots so I hosted these on my own server, I made them clickable links for full size.
92  Warhammer Dark Omen / Tactical wargaming and other Warhammer games / Re: Hangover Cure... on: December 10, 2012, 10:32:38 PM
Tonight I did Human villages, Elven towns and an Elven castle.

Here an Elven castle stands proud in the shadow of an unassailable mountain, guarding over the surrounding villages and farms.

[attachment=1]

A reverse view of the same map, taken from a larger town to the South of the castle.

[attachment=2]

All the scenery is fractal generated based upon campaign map data, and now that I have all the settlements in I realise I will either need to take out some of the detail from the building models or I will have slightly less in each area, perhaps only 1 terrain piece per map rather than the 9 I originally intended.  This will probably be necessary to get the entry level target machines I am hoping for - but I will leave it for a later stage, first I shall get everything in and running okay on my own laptop.
93  Warhammer Dark Omen / Tactical wargaming and other Warhammer games / Re: Hangover Cure... on: December 10, 2012, 01:41:11 AM
No super power dueing hangovers unfortunately, although yes it's all one day but a lot of the code and media I already had in my archive. So you could argue that I've been at it for a year or two.

I had friends over today so I only got a couple of bits in. I just need to do towns, villages, Elven castle and flora and then it's time to start playing with units Smiley

I've a busy week ahead - but then it's Xmas break so there's a good chance of rapid progress Smiley

I'll post some new screen shots when the flora is in.

In terms of the specifications, yes I want the entry bar pretty low. It's primary purpose is LAN gaming and these days people don't cart about full spec gaming machines - atleast my friends don't! So it's got to run well enough to run on an entry level business laptop - as I am intending to pack in quite a lot of troops into each unit that's going to create some CPU overhead already and water is computationally expensive, even with shaders, because no matter what you do you're always going to have some kind of cube or reflection mapping which means everything has to be rendered atleast twice.

Ultimately the final specs will likely be decided by what computers my friends have available - and I won't know that until its finished and I know who of my friends are coming to Nerdgasm 2013 Smiley
94  Warhammer Dark Omen / Tactical wargaming and other Warhammer games / Hangover Cure... on: December 09, 2012, 01:09:43 AM
I got smashed last night, so today I was otherwise unable to function so I sat on my laptop fiddling with some of my code libraries.

Before I knew it, I realised I was working on a kind of Dark Omen game!

It's only 1 hangover day of coding in so far, but I thought I would share a screenshot with the old community.

[attachment=1]

When I first modded Dark Omen I did it for LAN parties as the battle resolution engine for a grand game of Mighty Empires, and with this I am headed in the same direction.  A campaign map coupled with a fast playing RTS engine.

Although not strictly a Dark Omen remake I am toying with the idea of trying out sprites so that I can have massed armies.

[attachment=2]

There's a full day and night cycle, although the shadows at night are not great - but I don't see that as a problem because it's too dark to fight.  I intend to allow the players the choice of what time of day to start battle - with the earliest choice determining the start time and then battle ends when light is too poor to continue.

[attachment=3]

There's a reasonable water effect too.  I'm designing the game to be playable on a reasonably cheap laptop for LAN party use but I'm not sure if this water will work well on low spec machines so there may be an alternative simple water for those players.

In terms of gameplay I'll be drawing heavily on DO, although of course I won't be using the WHFB rules especially with official WHFB games in development, although I will be keeping it fantasy - and there will be Dragons Smiley
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7]