April 24, 2024, 09:37:44 AM

Username
Password

Show Posts
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]
46  Warhammer Dark Omen / Singleplayer / Re: Bigger Armies on: August 30, 2010, 08:43:27 AM
Yes I'm aware there are tonnes of custom campaigns but I'm sad to say I'm not happy with most of them.

*The regular Undead campaign is ridiculously boring and overpowered as you can win purely on fearing everything with any undead unit.
*The Goblin campaign is not enjoyable as they are weak.
*The Elf campaign can be won purely thanks to the Elven archers - Not fun.

Other custom campaings often have silly leaders, such as a Lone Unit as Leader, or another where it's a Cavalry unit of about 8 people with the Leader being an archer - This means the regiment can only fire ONE arrow per shot and because they are 'ranged' units they will not chase down regiments who break from combat, so annoying as they are useless as a ranged unit and not that viable in melee when you have to control them manually all the time.

My main gripe with custom campaigns is that they are either too easy, or there is a bunch of very annoying factors that make it unenjoyable. Don't get me wrong, I respect everyone who works on them and am grateful to everyone for doing something to try and breath life into this game, I'm not criticising just it's personal preference.

Now, I find the old Orc campaign is a) Challenging and b) Relatively balanced, just the costs can be a bit steep. I also had to edit out the Fanatics that you get with the Goblin Infantry & Archers because 99% of the time they simply cause more friendly casualties than they do enemies.

I'm simply trying to make a more fun and balanced version of the Orc army as well as increase regiment sizes, thats all.

47  Warhammer Dark Omen / Singleplayer / Re: Bigger Armies on: August 30, 2010, 08:36:17 AM
It's a justified change. Anyone who has attempted even the default campaign as the regular Orc Army will know that casualties are guaranteed high on each battle and the cost/reward is low as opposed to when you play as the Imperial or Undead who can steamroll through battles with relative ease.

It's almost impossible to earn enough income to repair and replenish troops because the Orcs aren't as sufficient in combat and because they are quantity over quality, you have to pay more.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not a bad player, have been playing WH:DO since shortly after it's release, done every path, used every army and done every campaign over and over - And I'm not complaining because I welcome the challenge of playing as the Orcs.

I've given up on the idea of bigger armies and downloaded the WHEdit, booted up the Orc Campaign and tweaked it slightly to give a slight stat balance, reorganized some troops and increased their regiment size.

In addition, I installed the "Rise of Darkness" Mod (which changes the Campaign, Deployment Zone, Regiment Spawn Locations etc) and pitted my edited Orc army against this new Campaign. I've not tried this one before and as the creator says, it is extremely difficult but it works relatively well. The Orcs maintain their low morale and don't have the same strenght as, say, the Grudgebringers but they are big in number and can outlast, makes for an interesting challenge.

If I care that much I'll likely continue to try and balance it out as much as possible, even if it's for myself (seeing as some people will probably disagree with my choices) but ultimately I just wanted to get to fight bigger regiments = bigger kill count = more money = more chance of progress.

I've recorded some of the action and will likely upload it somewhere later if people want to have a look.
48  Warhammer Dark Omen / Singleplayer / Bigger Armies on: August 30, 2010, 04:00:52 AM
Hey folks, been signed up for a while but have been busy rigging up my age old favourite game of all time, good ole Dark Omen - Had it on PSX as a youngster and was thrilled when I found it on the PC many years ago.

When I first discovered that the Warhammer Community was doing modding many years ago there was a specific file that quite simply increased the size of every regiment for Friendly and Enemy troops in the SinglePlayer campaign - I was wondering if someone knew where I could find it. I used to tinker with my own custom campaigns in the past but have forgotten how as this was all probably over 6-10 years ago and I don't think I'd have the patience for it now.

Most people have been working on specific army edited campaigns aka Orcs, Undead, Elves, Dwarves etc - Me, personally, I much prefer to play as the Orcs - They are the underdogs seeing as they are quantity, not quality, and even in singleplayer it is extremely difficult to progress without running out of money seeing as they're relatively weak (even though they do have their perks).

To combat this I was trying to slightly modify an Orc Campaign. Have Morgan represented by Boar Boyz (Cavalry), have the usual Arrer Boyz for Crossbowmen and have a regiment of Big Unz for the Infantry rather than Orc Boyz. Replace the Cannon with a Rock Lobber seeing as the Orc Bolt Thrower is the most useless Artillery in the game.

And the whole point of it is to give the starting army a tiny little buff and to increase gold earned by making enemy regiments bigger in size.

I could probably edit that all myself but ultimately all I'm really looking for is the file that greatly increased regiment sizes overall and I could work from there.

Don't suppose anyone just HAPPENS to know about it?
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]