March 29, 2024, 09:16:09 AM

Username
Password

Show Posts
Pages: [1] 2 3 4
1  Warhammer Dark Omen / Help Section / Re: DO "Fixes" Question on: August 21, 2016, 02:08:53 PM
Thanks, will keep it in mind. Is there definitely no way to play this way on something larger than 640x480? I think that remains my only other gripe about the game with that setup. Regardless of the answer, good job with the fixes Smiley
2  Warhammer Dark Omen / Help Section / DO "Fixes" Question on: August 21, 2016, 06:45:57 AM
Hey there,

Just tried everything in Olly's Fix Sticky and happy to say it all worked... Graphically, anyway. My problem is that once in a battle, the game will not recognize the keyboard (eg. ESC doesn't open the menu, arrows/mouse cannot zoom in/out) meaning it is stuck 100% zoomed in and cannot change angles, or even pause the game.

Any idea what may be causing this?
3  Warhammer Dark Omen / Singleplayer / Re: What are you're favorite units in the campaing? on: August 21, 2016, 06:23:05 AM
Ever since I got WH:DO back in the PSX days, I fell instantly in love with the Ogres & Flagellants. Eusebio looked completely whacked, and then when the battle began, all I could see where seven chaps with massive afros, wielding flails like complete lunatics - what's not to like?

"Mah names Urbald Rotgut..."
"...That's your problem."

Always loved having my Ogres for hit'n'run (or more specifically, hit and trample them as they flee in fear). Definitely my top-2 for more than just their in-game prowess. Aside from those two (guaranteed in every singleplayer battle possible), I'll always favour the Mortar over Cannon - followed by the Elven Archers. They're completely ridiculous and almost always replace my good ole CBowmen in the end. Outside of those, it's got to be good ole Morgan and his trusty Sergeant, trailed behind by the practically mandatory Bright Wizard.
4  Modifications / Campaigns / Re: Monsterous Menagerie on: August 11, 2014, 07:03:42 AM
Hi guys!
I've returned and even got myself a FRAPS fix for easier recording - And installed Dark Omen once again! However, I'm not sure if I have the heart to start modding this campaign once again from scratch, so I'm simply here to ask if anyone just happens to have any of the Monstrous Menagerie files on their computer by any chance?

I'll never use FileFront again as they've deleted so many of my files in the past, including Mods I made for Dark Omen, Resident Evil 4 and other games Cry
5  Warhammer Dark Omen / Help Section / Re: Making videos of DO on: August 11, 2014, 06:34:14 AM
When I first joined this community (before a PC melt wrecked my work on a campaign and made me quit for months) I was using CamStudio for recordings seeing as I never worked out how to allow FRAPS to record my desktop.

Fast forward to the present day and now I've finally sorted FRAPS so that it can record... Well, anything! Even the desktop.
I ironically re-installed Dark Omen yesterday for nostalgia purposes and gave it a go - And even uploaded a movie.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KWruO9Iz2Ig

Sadly, I'm one of many who are forced to play on CPU (Not 3D) so the GFX are at their worst - And, of course, no way to increase the resolution from 640x480 - But with a tiny tweak in Adobe Premiere, I feel the movie quality is at least... Watchable despite being increased to 1280x720 (any bigger and it'd have been super-blurry).

Are there any 3D/CPU fixes (I'm on Windows 7) other than using a Win7 Emulator?

For those who have FRAPS but find they can't get it to record Dark Omen, be sure to enable Windows "Themes", then allow FRAPS option to "Monitor Aero Desktop (DWM)" for it to record the desktop rather than the game. Works fine.
6  Warhammer Dark Omen / Singleplayer / Re: What are you're favorite units in the campaing? on: August 11, 2014, 01:42:35 AM
Having played DO for so many years on both PSX and PC - Flagellants where always my favourite from start to finish.

The way Eusebio looks (creepy insomniac), the in-game regiment having wacky Einstein hair, the fact they are immune to fear... Nevermind how they swing their flails over their heads like complete psychotic lunatics in battle... As soon as I got them, they instantly became my favourite and have remained my favourite ever since.

I always grew fond of chucking the anti-arrow shield on them and having them as my primary rush-first-ask-questions-later unit, especially if I can compliment their target with my second favourite unit, the Ogres.

They were my death-squad - And Morgan would be used to keep the speedy hard-hitters at bay while those two regiments smashed everything that my Mortar, Cannon, and Elven archers didn't kill first.

I do like FireWizard but he's pretty much the OP staple-point of the human army. Any time he has flaming skull in his spell-book, I laugh along with it - Just a nasty, NASTY spell.

Humans:
Flagellants > Ogres > Grungebringer Cavalry > Elven Archers and/or GB Crossbows > Mortar & Cannon > GB Infantry for general meat-shielding.
Then whatever other units I feel like.

Greenskins:
Troll > Spider > Boar Boyz > Big Uns > Shaman > Orc Boyz > Archers.
Anything that isn't Goblins with fanatics... Those things always... ALWAYS... Do more damage to me than they do the enemy, no matter how far away they are from the team.

Undead:
Skull Launcher > Vampire > BGrail Knights > Anything else.
I avoid playing them when I can - Undead are ridiculous in SP as well as MP.

Top 5:
Flag > Ogres > Troll > FSLauncher > Boar Boyz
7  Modifications / Campaigns / Re: Monsterous Menagerie on: February 29, 2012, 09:10:42 AM
Seems my download link is dead - I guess FileFront deleted it due to it not getting downloads.

If anyone just happens to have the most recent version, please let me know as I'd like to get a copy and keep it safe - If not, well... Bye bye Monstrous Menagerie!
8  Modifications / Campaigns / Re: Monsterous Menagerie on: February 29, 2012, 09:06:43 AM
Hey folks, been a long long time since I posted here.

Just wanted to give a headsup - I took a break from the Mod as I had to play a few other games semi-competatively and then a month or two ago my backup hardrive failed - And, typically, it contained all my Mod Work for this campaign as well as the Dark Omen install itself.

Thanks to that I've just been completely demoralized and given up on it - I have also lost a lot of my Flash Animation work, custom music, my photoshop work, a lot of my movies and various other projects.

If I ever come back to finish this, it'll be in a long time I'm afraid... I'll download my own Mod here and keep it somewhere (If it's still downloadable) so I'll at least have some shred of it left but for now just assume this project wont be updated anytime soon Sad

Want to give a big thanks to all who replied here and another thanks to the Mods who were quick to throw in requested edits. I'm going to take another break... I'm hoping to bring my drive in for a repair at some stage but money is tight and even if I could afford it there's no guarantee I'll salvage everything.
9  Modifications / Campaigns / Re: Monsterous Menagerie on: October 20, 2010, 06:32:18 AM
This whole Mod will be unorthodox.

Troll leading an army? Spider leading a regiment of Orcs? Shaman using a Scorpion as bodyguard? Orcs teaming with Humans/Mercenaries?

Undead teaming with Night Elves?

This whole thing is different Wink
10  Modifications / Campaigns / Re: Monsterous Menagerie on: October 19, 2010, 03:24:45 PM
Right, I looked at the underpowered nature of the Player Army and made another change. I noticed I hadn't even bothered to use a Scorpion in the Player Army despite it being the Monsterous Menagerie.

And so, in line with spicing things up I've gone and thrown him in... But not as a Monster/Infantry... No, Skorpoic is not your everyday Scorpion - He is lead by 2xGoblin Shaman who seem to think that being a weak little Shaman (In numbers [especially if one of those numbers is a huge Scorpion]) will make their day easier.

It'll replace the Orc Shaman you normally recieve. It has slightly less speed than a regular Monster/Spider/Scorpion and is Cowardly, so even though it can inflict Fear thanks to being ferocious, those 2xShaman will not last in a physical fight and that means goodbye to your Scorpion if you use it in melee without tactics. In addition, this unit may or may not be able to carry items - I wasnt to test it first to see just how strong a faster moving, tough WAAGGGHHH caster is a and guage how overpowered it is (If at all).

11  Modifications / Campaigns / Re: Monsterous Menagerie on: October 09, 2010, 06:45:23 AM
Right, I inadvertadely (spelling) made another movie of the Campaign - I didn't intend to make one but for some weird reason I wanted to upload something with the music supplied here (It's Drum and Bass so by all means, mute it ASAP if thats not your Cup of Tea).

Even though it was meant to be a musical thing, I figured there's no harm throwing it up here to give a further look at how this is going.

This fight is still a bit too easy so I'll be tweaking it in the future to make it tougher. The battle where you try to help Azguz Bloodfist, however, is NASTY Wink

Gaming Tunes: Dark Omen vs B-Complex (Beautiful Lies)DQ | by Aeva
12  Modifications / Campaigns / Re: Monsterous Menagerie on: September 30, 2010, 02:31:08 PM
Well matey I make music, animations, games and game mods - Moderate on one of the biggest Irish WebForums in the country (Game Editing being one of those Forums) and, while not exactly confident in what I do, I still plaster it all over the place looking for constructive feedback on how to get better - In a lot of those cases it's wise to expect that not every community is vast and active daily, or willing to talk immediately about things, so don't worry - I don't take quietness to heart - I did a bit of digging before I decided to join up here so I knew what to expect in most cases Smiley

On the flipside, if you're scared to try out this simple edit of the game, people like you will never give feedback on how to make it better (And you, so far, are the one who has encouraged it's creation the most in the thread).

It's easy to make something 'look' good, but looks are one thing - For all I know it could be a terrible Mod but nobody has given any feedback, so I'll never know Wink

I've played DO Singleplayer for so many years I know every alternate pathway, what spawns where, how they'll act etc - Safe to say someone like me could easily make a Mod too difficult for someone less experienced or even new to the game. I'm going half-blind with this one as I'm basing it off the Rise of the Dead Mod so I do need help to maintain balance! I've already given the Spider Regiment a minor minor little buff and tried tweaking the enemy regiments once again (Not included in the download link above) and have to do much more - Would be wise to get various other players opinion on the difficulty if they decide to try it.

I'll work on this more later or tomorrow!
13  Modifications / Campaigns / Re: Monsterous Menagerie on: September 30, 2010, 04:53:34 AM
Thank you very much Darkmancer Smiley
14  Modifications / Campaigns / Re: Monsterous Menagerie on: September 29, 2010, 07:37:03 PM
Ok, Round 2 of Beta Testing, this time using the improved RotD format (And credit has been given to Malus in the Install.TXT though I would prefer if he gave me his thoughts, himself).

http://www.filefront.com/17333170/Monsterous Menagerie.rar

Dowload Link to the GameData/1PARM (Army File)/1PBAT (5xBattles, Mod stops at Bogenhafen so far) of the Monsterous Menagerie work in progress purely for people to try it out in it's new form.

If possible I'd love if a Moderator could pin the download link once again into the main post for newcomers, though I do stress that this is still heavily in beta and likely to be changed far more. - Done Darkmancer

I've played and replayed all fights leading up to Bogenhafen and have come to this conclusion regarding the difficulty.

a) I can beat it but:
b) It often requires several attempts at refining your tactics ie. It's not a campaign where you can just breeze through it but it can, at times, give the impression of ease. Sometimes a battle will kick my ass, other times (mostly with replays) it's a matter of learning what works though other times you can fluke through it, mostly due to the fear mechanic of two of your regiments (but this is actually required to survive, as opposed to old Undead campaigns where you were horribly overpowered thanks to Fear/Terror).
c) Like the original Greenskin campaign, money may become an issue. I will likely add plenty of cash drops to some enemy regiments to help with this as opposed to increasing the 'value' of enemies just to spice it up a little and encourage more devastation.

No story as of yet but if I complete this mod and balance it well I'll be quite capable of cooking one up.

New Units include:

Night Elf/Outlaw Marksmen:
(These can act as Artillery or Archers depending on Enemy AI but both work the same).
Hard to reach single units with quick firing rifles that can mince your army if left unchallenged).

Banshee:
Undead Infantry Casters - These form the basis of enemy casters so any level containing a Caster (Necromancer etc) will have these. Typically start out as normal but later become Adept and very VERY dangerous as they take a bigger beating than a regular Wraith but contain the same Armor properties and can cast while moving. Until the first level you will only be able to beat it using the Leaders Grudgebringer Sword so bare that in mind.

Night Elves - Bare similar movement speed of their Wood Elf cousins twith equal combat traits in melee and ranged, though have a hatred for Light and Flame.

Night Elf Infantry:
Small pockets of Night Elves, same properties as Wood Elves though prone to Fire Damage. Core of the enemy Army.

Nightbound Infantry:
Led into combat by mounted Dark Lieutenant's of the Undead, these units are slightly tougher than typical Night Elf regiments.

Night Elf Cavalry:
Vicious Horsemen - Prone to Fire.

Night Elf Marauders:
Led into combat by Nightlords and Vampires as part of the Night Elf alliegance with the Undead - These are not to be underestimated or trifled with as the footmen are vicious and their leaders are much, much worse.

Night Elf Ballista:
The only known Artillery unit of the Night Elves, they've remoulded the Orc's own primitive weaponry for themselves for battles in which they are suited, though aren't all too proficient in their use in comparison to other armies - Still, it can tear chunks out of anything their bolts collide with.

More to come as I work on it further - If I do ever complete a full Singleplayer campaign with this Mod, I'll work on custom banners and maybe even sprites.
15  Modifications / Campaigns / Re: Monsterous Menagerie on: September 27, 2010, 05:46:20 PM
I get all my remixes from C64Remix website.

It's a huge influence to my movies and game making as I started working with game editing etc when I was 7yrs old on C64 / Spectrum128k hence I've a sea load of music like that to relive those years ^^

I've just tested Battle 03 & 04, they are challenging indeed and once I get a recording of Bogenhafen or further I'll make another video and make a 1-5 Battle .ZIP of the Mod so far for people to test themelves.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4