March 29, 2024, 12:36:36 AM

Username
Password

Show Posts
Pages: 1 [2] 3
16  Multiplayer Campaign / Dark Omen Conquest / Re: CONQUESTDAY (Ruleset) on: August 20, 2011, 02:03:25 PM
glad you like it olly Smiley

ive tried joining through the java client in the past but it throws up an error:

Startup error : java.lang.Error: Unable to load interface pixx : java.lang.SecurityException: trusted loader attempted to load sandbox resource from http://chat.dark-omen.org/pixx.java

I think ive already hit the prompts and selected 'Always from this site' so they dont popup anymore. I have used mIRC in the past so will join #dark-omen that way.

I am away the rest of this weekend but I will be available to play DOCD Sat 27th with everyone here. oh yeah, what time of day do you normally kick off the game?
17  Multiplayer Campaign / Dark Omen Conquest / Re: CONQUESTDAY (Ruleset) on: August 20, 2011, 12:28:28 PM
I like the rule set alot. reminds me of risk! declaring attacks over IRC is a great suggestion Jeronimo. It will really help keep the game alive.

here is a Conquest map to Replicate Jeronimos rule set across all of old world. I added two extra nodes and broke the join at the bottom to have more 1k areas. I have also added white rings around locations so they are easy to colorize in paint.

I think we should use justin.tv or something similar to show conquest updates on the map in real time. you would literally be streaming the paint window between battles and gold rounds. the host would have to close the stream during battle though, or people will have tabs open with videos running.

download link (full size): http://img5.imageshack.us/img5/3328/docdfinal.png

18  Warhammer Dark Omen / Multiplayer / Re: Recording Online Matches on: August 19, 2011, 11:43:42 PM
thanks Jeronimo I will have to try Fists of Gork next time, although because the wight blade causes multiple wounds it may have ended much the same. as for Wings, I rarely buy Wand of Jet or build an army around the Wizard in the first place reducing his impact on the field.

thanks Ghabry I can now cut the fat Cheesy I have just put up a Promo Vid for DOE. ive tried using H.264 instead of Xvid as youtube recommends H.264 as a preferred format but the same opening 10 sec problem presists... could you try installing the latest version of Avidemux and try encoding/private upload to youtube to see if your getting the same problem? there might be something im overlooking.. As it stands I cant use Avidemux if it has this problem, as any of my kdenlive encoded vids go up just fine.

Heres the Promo vid encoded with H.264 in all its broken glory.

Dark Omen Expanded 2 Showcasepowered by Aeva

19  Warhammer Dark Omen / Multiplayer / Re: Recording Online Matches on: August 14, 2011, 10:23:24 PM
@JB, and remember our Bogenhafen? When your black grail was about to dominate me and then i charged them with my cannon, and they sat there while my cannon crawled toward them menacingly, making them a perfect target for archer fire.  Grin

*facepalm* lol how could I forget Cheesy
20  Warhammer Dark Omen / Multiplayer / Re: Recording Online Matches on: August 14, 2011, 10:15:50 PM
thanks Jeronimo alot of people overlook the dwarves/elves/goblins fear/hatred rules over the undead. As you can see my opponent is a hit and run expert with a teleporting BoW to the point I dont bother with artillery. I dont know why teleport wasnt removed from FO. I also find that undead vs undead matches can be pretty lifeless regardless.

as recommended twice I have swapped over to avidemux. here is how it looks.

Epic Goblins pt1 of 2powered by Aeva

I have no idea why the video is having issues within the first 10 secs. is this an avidemux thing or a problem with youtubes encoding? youtube recommends the H.264 encoding so might try that instead over xvid.... but besides that im happy with the output. using the same avi file under kdenlive produces a 532MB mp4 file while avidemux pushes out a 124MB mp4. this has helped alot with uploading!

For darker videos I still have to improve the darkness issues. I do this by going to Video -> Filters -> Colors -> Contrast

I find these settings about right

Contrast: 12
Brightness: 35

The append file option is great for combining clips, but how do I edit clips sizes in the timeline?
21  Warhammer Dark Omen / Help Section / Re: Cooperation on: August 13, 2011, 03:32:34 PM
yes everything is falling into place, I think my win ratio went to about 1:4 since playing you Tongue

well its about 7:30AM in California and im guessing Zoko will probably sleep in so that should give me afew hours to update my army lists....  Cool
22  Warhammer Dark Omen / Multiplayer / Re: Recording Online Matches on: August 13, 2011, 02:53:55 PM
Well in that case kilo I hope this thread helps you out in seeing the whole process. Still though I think I can improve my 20hr turn over time now that everything is up and running....

I like fraps alot, its basically brilliant. I however made the mistake of unticking 'Record Win7 sound' to get ride of the GR sounds popping into the videos, but then it stopped recording the DO music and sound.. so I have about four matches recorded that I cant use  :Smiley I did dabble in some freeware stuff but nothing even worth mentioning or capable of getting the job done.

I am a big fan of well supported Open Source Software and running kdenlive under kde once the OS is configured has been very useful to me! youtube finally finished rendering my video on their end to 720p and I am very pleased the quality. the side bars have gone a curious grey since I bumped the Gamma levels.

oh man that bogenhafen match, my necromancer going down to pistoliers and surrounded by skeleton warriors on all sides...... epic. I think that match encouraged me to start recording and putting the most entertaining ones up. I also think that putting videos up of the highest quality we can achieve will entice more people into playing and discovering DO Online. I mean if dark-omen.org doesnt promote DO Online and Campaigns who else will. I think EA is too busy making money to worry about advertising the 90s Grin
23  Warhammer Dark Omen / Help Section / Re: GameRanger Hosting Crash on: August 13, 2011, 02:35:46 PM
@Zoko I have also had crash problems with Cal. He is hosting DO extended for FO players, which shouldnt even be possible. I guess it reads the ARM files and hopes for the best Tongue so whenever I use FO Grail Knights against Cal the whole thing crashes. If Cal did a fresh install to FO I think it would solve alot of his problems.

I am glad to see im not the only one with alt-tab problems. Are you guys running Win7 or Vista? as I dont believe there is a reliable alt-tab fix for these OS's released yet. The only things I can think of that might be causing issues is my machine is running a Radeon Graphics Card and has a strange resolution at 1366x768.

I have had the chance to do further tweaking with my DO files. Since making the change Hardware Selected to 244 (CPU mode) and DEP Dark Omen fixes I decided to stop running EngRel.exe in compatibility mode and I can now host local LAN games without any crashes! woo! However the hanging blackscreen problem for hosting online matches with GameRanger still stands..... I just cant get to the bottom of it.
24  Warhammer Dark Omen / Help Section / Re: Cooperation on: August 12, 2011, 06:23:28 PM
JB87, yeah we did have some fun games but i haven't seen you on in a while, we should play during a weekend sometime.

sounds like a plan, should be able to play afew this weekend  Cool
25  Warhammer Dark Omen / Multiplayer / Recording Online Matches on: August 12, 2011, 05:05:15 PM
Hi guys ive recorded my first DO match and uploaded it to the tubes and I am looking for advice on how to improve the quality even further as well as provide a 'How To' for others, you can view it here:

Fanatics Not Suckingpowered by Aeva

I have used Fraps for video capture which pushes out 4GB avi files of very high quality, but to put them on youtube I need to lower it to at least 2GB in total using youtubes newer java based uploader. I have little experience with video editing but I didnt want to sacrifice on any quality. So I booted up Kubuntu and ran Kdenlive to convert it to an mp4 at 4000k bitrate with H.264 which took about 2 hours to render. Grissburg being one of the darkest maps the resulting mp4 was very dark.

So I went back and rendered the original avi again and added a Gamma Effect from 100 up to 180 to make the battle watchable.

In the end I managed to get a 430MB file from the two avi clips recorded from Fraps totaling 7GBs in size. When I went to upload 'Fanatics Not Sucking' at 430MB size it took another 13hrs to upload so I left it running over night.

I noticed Ghabry puts up a ton of DO videos so I would be interested in his feedback too. http://www.youtube.com/user/Ghabry

You guys now get a sneak peek of my gaming Tongue Do you have any advice on how to improve my video capturing/editing setup for Mulitplayer battles? thoughts?
26  Multiplayer Campaign / Dark Omen Conquest / Re: Is this coming back? on: August 09, 2011, 09:31:30 PM
@Flak ive DMd afew game in the past too

I like the idea of a hero as I mentioned earlier as a driving force for which side is winning. However Im not a big fan of using editors to create heros. Instead I think we should create a DOC Mod that already includes the Warrior/Mage/Rouge Heros and their prices in each races army list. As you buy higher levels they will become mounted, get more armour, better stats etc. That would make it alot easier for players to get into the game at short notice and also help with balancing. I think this Conquest Pack should enforce as much of the rules and stats as possible so players can focus more energy onto the fluff.

eg.
a player asks: "I want to play conquest what do I have to do?"
answer: "Install DOC and build a 3k army with hero. We are playing a Conquest game in two weeks hope to see you there."

If we could get Conquest to that level that steps over learning how to use editors and reading complex docs on how to play, building such a DOC Mod would be a great step to revitalize it.

We all play from the same Mod during a Tourney so why not its own Mod when playing Conquest?
27  Multiplayer Campaign / Dark Omen Conquest / Re: Is this coming back? on: August 08, 2011, 09:08:41 PM
We could always hold conquest at the end one month and the tournament the end of the next month depending on demand, this would bring more people to both events I think as they dont come around as often.

do you have a link to DORPG Flak? I havent seen it myself and it might create some good ideas. would DORPG have any cross over with D&D? judging by the name.
28  Multiplayer Campaign / Dark Omen Conquest / Re: Is this coming back? on: August 08, 2011, 01:15:15 PM
I have never met Flak but reading his conquest threads he looks like a great community member. It is a shame though that after a few rounds of combat conquest seems to peter out. If we could make a rule set that focuses on a climatic bang with clear ending and roleplaying it would be great. in otherwords we could record the final battle surrounded by written fluff for all players to see and add it to the thread, most likely ending in Altdorf or the Pyramids depending on the factions margin of success. To keep RP in focus this type of event would probably be offered by the Game Master / Story Teller and decided by the players (lords) how to react to it.

Experience from battle sounds cool. Not sure how you would represent it though as in fair omen not all units have multiple levels.

Out of curiosity, how long does it take to finish a tournament? These have been highly successful in the past so we could use that same amount of time to measure how long conquest can realistically be played and design a rule set based on that.

I have a great idea that I want to add to the pot! how about limiting Morgan and the Black Grail to one, used by the King and Dread King who must always field them in combat. They would be displayed on the world map at all times and the first faction to eliminate the other wins. Lords would not be allowed to put Morgan or Black Grail into their own lists as for the sake of RP and the game victory condition they are considered unique. That would add a lot more tension and speed to the campaign.

'The Grail rides out, destroy the Grail.'
29  Warhammer Dark Omen / Help Section / Re: Cooperation on: August 08, 2011, 12:53:56 PM
I am also new here and have found the same thing, I would read interesting tactic threads here and spend ages making new lists to find no one to play with on GR haha  Tongue

I have played some great games with Zoko but as Olly mentioned the timezone can be a killer as hes from the US somewhere and im in Ireland. Holding tournaments at the end of the month is a great idea! I will have to make a note of that. Hard for me to say when I am most active as im still new to GR but if I am not busy it will most likely be in the late evenings 9pm - 1am and more active on weekends.
30  Warhammer Dark Omen / Help Section / Re: GameRanger Hosting Crash on: August 08, 2011, 12:41:49 PM
I was talking with olly last night and here is an update of everything we tried.

change Hardware Selected to 244 (CPU mode).
stop all firewall and anti-virus services.
UAC control panel disabled.
adjust screen to lowest resolution available.
installed new colour cursors from http://darkomen.blitz-art.com/
run in Win XP sp3 compatibility mode.
delete 'HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Classes\VirtualStore\MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Electronic Arts\Dark Omen' (\Electronic Arts\Dark Omen did not exist)
DEP Dark Omen and GameRanger.

After all these tweeks it still crashes on create. As for GameRanger, it almost works there... I can host a game without crashing but my screen is black. I can alt-tab as much as I want but it doesnt bring my screen back, I suffer with the alt-tab problem in single player also if I have to tab down DO for any reason. in GR when I host a game all I can see is my (updated) cursor and hear the sounds of selecting things in the menu. If I join a game though everything works fine...
Pages: 1 [2] 3